PDA

View Full Version : Lockright or ??

mudpie
10-17-2014, 11:15 AM
Im thinking its time for a locker or two for my sidekick
After watching a samari playin in the mud,dam thing was almost unstopable.
Whats your opinion on the lockright vs arb vs spool vs ??
Its my DD so i dont realy want to spool it or weld the diff
What do you think ?

1990 tracker
31/9.5-15 mud tires
5spd

Chody
10-17-2014, 11:31 AM
was about to post this same Q, in for answer

mudpie
10-17-2014, 12:24 PM
Im quite impressed with how far i can go with open diffs
Gonna be insane wih lockers

Lieutenant Johnson
10-17-2014, 12:59 PM
down here a Aussie or lockrite is fine in the front ..we don't get a lot of snow...if you DD in Kelowna in the winter, a lot of people don't like a ratchet style in the front ...so u may want a selectable...I run aussie in snow /rain /dry whatever doesn't bother me but some it does

beagle..t
10-17-2014, 03:48 PM
depends on what you want t o spend if I had the money I would go arb but lock rite in the rear is good, I wouldn't put one in the front unless you have a steel housing then I would do arb .front diff housings are aluminum and cant take the abuse

mudpie
10-17-2014, 04:36 PM
thanks for the input ,
not too concerned with the front right now,gonna put one in the rear tho
$1100 bucks vs $400 ,arb would probably outlast the rest of my truck lol
hmmmmmm looks like the lockright might b the way

Chody
10-17-2014, 04:53 PM
how much are those lockrights and where to buy?

Trailjunkie
10-17-2014, 05:58 PM
good call keep it simple but buy the Aussie . just built with better metal . and arb is over rated , are they both turning ?? lol air = problems

mudpie
10-17-2014, 08:32 PM
how much are those lockrights and where to buy?

they r about $390-400 ish at a local shop in kelowna
alteredego motorsports
nice guys to deal with

mudpie
10-17-2014, 08:33 PM
yup simple seems to work for me lol

4skin
10-17-2014, 09:49 PM
I like spools no moving parts and usualy less than 150 bucks

westcoaster
10-17-2014, 10:30 PM
http://www.china4x4extreme.com/productList.asp?classId=37&big=37

For a sidekick perhaps something like this... (if a guy could get past the fact they are made in China...)

It's been a couple years since I looked into these. They now have a sexy website (compared to what they had) less than half the price of an ARB The Australians seemed to think they worked ok at that time...
Below is the price for an air locker in a samurai. (I never did get it...)

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your inquire.

We are very happy hear that you interested in our Air locker-RD88 model and our prices should need $490.00 each one include the air compressor together.
How many piece you need order?
What method you want to send to you?

Are you only interested in our air locker item?
For more our 4x4 accessories at www.china4x4extreme.com.

Yours faithfully,

Scott Song

Tenda Off-Road Accessories Industry Co.,Ltd.

youngun
10-17-2014, 10:49 PM
I wouldn't bother with any lunch box locker in a sidekick.

I had one in mine and it broke after a month. The gears are just too small in there to be strong enough for 32" swampers and some low range reduction.

I broke it and welded it all solid and it was good for 3 years till i sold it

Chody
10-20-2014, 09:32 AM
yeah the locker would cost more than the truck itself. im probably only going to run 31" all terrains
is a spool a good idea?
or just hit it with the miller?

Little Samurai
10-20-2014, 06:28 PM
I ran a Lockright in the rear diff. of my Samurai for a couple of years until I sold the truck. It was a daily driver as well as a weekend wheeler and I never broke anything other than U-joints. You do have to get used to driving with one on the streets though. If you hit the gas at the wrong time in a corner it'll bang as it locks up and give you a little jolt. They also click as you turn corners but that's easy to live with once you realize how much better it performs off road.

SuzukiSamurai
10-20-2014, 07:14 PM
Lock rite in the rear, $210 from trail tough and lowrange offroad

restlesskev
01-08-2015, 10:21 PM
I know I'm a little late but I thought I'd throw my $0.02 in. I went with a spool this time around on my sunrunner because of the cost and because when I built my first sidekick in the 90's i put a locker in and it kept breaking the pins. When the pins broke it would stay locked, acting like a spool. The third time it happened I said forget it and learned to live with driving a spool. I asked at a local shop here in surrey if that still happens and he shrugged his shoulders and said, you gotta rebuild them every once in a while. All three times they broke on the street. I'm sure the 33's didn't help. I don't know if I'd put a spool in a daily driver though. Especially if you gotta lotta turns on the way to work. And if you drive in icy conditions that rear end can really fling out behind you.

mudpie
02-01-2015, 05:43 PM
paid for my lockright last week...just gonna wait for better weather and healing time for myself
looking forward to tryin it out soon

mudpie
02-25-2015, 08:19 PM
well the lockright is in ...had to put a new set of gears in as the P.O put a mismatched set of gears in it ,the pinion gear was fubar.d, only broke 1 bolt
short drive all is good..first time seeing rooster trails behind the tracker...kinda neat
cant wait to hit some trails and find out how it really does

Happypants
02-25-2015, 08:33 PM
I'm running a spartan locker in my front 44 and it works great, I found if I'm turning and it's locked in i give it a light Brap on the pedal and it will unlock the front then I can turn more, little trick that they do cause turning with a locked front end is a bit of a cunt sometimes lol

mudpie
02-25-2015, 08:59 PM
just in the rear diff for now....frt is next.
gonna track down a steel housing and some power steering for it before i put a locker in the front.
im not into hardcore 4x4ing but ........sh$%t happens right..dont need to break stuff if i dont have to

Happypants
02-25-2015, 11:49 PM
Yea I hear Ya, the front locker is nice tho

dirka dave
02-26-2015, 07:36 AM
Detroit rear. Arb front.

Good combo.

barracuda
02-26-2015, 11:11 AM
if only arbs were more reliable

Lieutenant Johnson
02-26-2015, 11:22 AM
Aussie front and ARB rear... had AUssie in for years in the front never an issue turns great too..

mudpie
02-26-2015, 03:44 PM
Holey s÷tballs what a difference a locker makes
Suspension is able to flex and crawl over damn near everything i point it at
A bit clunky on road but well worth it offroad
100 times better, a whole new level

beagle..t
02-26-2015, 07:00 PM
ya a lot of people don't run one in the front cause they will go almost anywhere locked in the rear

beeker
02-26-2015, 10:12 PM
I bought a lockrite for my samurai from the lordco show a few years back for $110 to my shop clunky but it sure made a difference!!!!

Burge
02-27-2015, 09:41 AM
My sammy when it worked was locked front and rear with a crawl case. It worked great. My limiting factor was my 1.3 with a pony carb. It never ran right when the wheeling got serious.