PDA

View Full Version : Lower steering shaft Coupler clamp ?? tight but loose

Lieutenant Johnson
09-23-2014, 11:54 AM
So after this weekend i notice some clacking noise from my steering and felt some sloppiness in the wheel ...

Turns out it's the coupler sleeve that mates the gearbox input shaft to the steering column itself is loose . The bolt on the clamp looks tight - in fact the clamp looks about as compressed as it's going to get. Yet, I can reach my hand in there and slide it up and down and even wiggle it around in circles a bit. This should be solid if the clamp actually worked. It shouldnt have ANY movement in /out .

So everytime i hit a bump or washboard fsr the lower shaft is flopping in /out of the box...

anyone had experience with this ?? is it just not sitting below the splines enough for the coupler to clamp the lip below...or do these couplers just wear out and seem tight but stretched out?

harvester_sorrow
09-23-2014, 06:55 PM
So after this weekend i notice some clacking noise from my steering and felt some sloppiness in the wheel ...

Turns out it's the coupler sleeve that mates the gearbox input shaft to the steering column itself is loose . The bolt on the clamp looks tight - in fact the clamp looks about as compressed as it's going to get. Yet, I can reach my hand in there and slide it up and down and even wiggle it around in circles a bit. This should be solid if the clamp actually worked. It shouldnt have ANY movement in /out .

So everytime i hit a bump or washboard fsr the lower shaft is flopping in /out of the box...

anyone had experience with this ?? is it just not sitting below the splines enough for the coupler to clamp the lip below...or do these couplers just wear out and seem tight but stretched out?

oh yeah

can you take it apart to inspect it?

Lieutenant Johnson
09-24-2014, 09:19 AM
lol jamie... i knew someone would say something...

but yeah gonna take apart tonight hopefully and inspect..

Lieutenant Johnson
09-30-2014, 05:09 PM
ended up taking off the lower shaft...repositioning the splines up and made sure the flat spots lined up and good to go now!

all tight and no play ...funny thing is I got used to the play and now there is none...tighter than a Nuns ....

harvester_sorrow
09-30-2014, 07:19 PM
nice....nice

Lieutenant Johnson
02-15-2015, 12:56 AM
Well good things dont lasr forever..the splines have now skipped so much on the coupler/clamp the it is almost flat going on the steering box input.

Time for a Borgensen shaft I think..anyone running one?

canuckxj
02-16-2015, 01:47 PM
grap a used one from garys or pick a part
think the Borgensen shafts are expensive

Lieutenant Johnson
02-16-2015, 10:16 PM
Ended up.swapping steering boxes getting a new longer bolt and tightened er good, was tight as shit but still had a clunk... Was stumped

Goingreenxj came by to lend a hand so i could inspect the area..after a cpl minutes I found the clunk..was my frame side track bar bolt it was loosened just a c hair causing a clunk as the axle torqued...fml ;)