View Full Version : My new "wall tent" (note the quotes)

09-21-2014, 09:58 PM
Purchased my "wall tent" on Saturday.

Ok, going to have to preface this a little. I have been wanting something to use as a shelter for a while now. All really wanted was something to keep me out of the wind, be versatile enough to be set up anywhere and most importantly be cheap enough to afford without busting the bank. I don't plan on sleeping in the thing. I got a camper for that.... I was just looking for something to get me out of the wind and rain and to keep a bit of heat in to take the edge off.

Wall tents seemed perfect but the grand plus price tag put me off.

I eventually ended up with this thing.

A DELUX 10X14 canopy with 7 foot walls from Midland Liquidators. I sprung for the extra end panel. I like the way the roof comes down over the side panels.

Has 1 3/8" dia galvanised steel poles and a bunch of bungee balls to tie the tarp panels on.

Only real down side is this canopy has quite a few gaps. Ok, maybe I need to take a little time and tweak the panels a bit to seal up some of the cracks.

Huh, two inch gap... under the side panels. I'll call them Monday and see if they have any extra tarp material

Got enough room to hang the lantern without banging in to it...

Going to cost $12 and change to replace the side panel if I mess up. Out came the scissors to cut a hole for the stove. I need to come up with some sort of stove jack for this. I was planning on simply using a sheet of tin fitted into the side panel somehow.

It's no wall tent. Won't perform any where near the same.
The canopy with the extra end panel and a roll of tarp tape came to $305.09
For that price I figured I would give it a shot. and see what I could do about tweaking some of the deficiencies.
It does need a bit of work. I have to take a hand file to the couplers to grind down a few burrs to make assembly a little easier.

09-21-2014, 10:05 PM
you will be surprised how well that will work. i do the same thing with an ez up and tarps. nice and cozy. i recomend buying a gromett kit and adding some extra eyelets

09-21-2014, 10:23 PM
A propane Big Buddy heater will take less space but that will work better then Ya know it

09-22-2014, 01:36 AM
A propane Big Buddy heater will take less space but that will work better then Ya know it

[cheers] YUP! Mine works GREAT!

Nice tent set up.

The buddy heater is handy, but wood stoves dry shit better. you can cook on them... and I dont think they cause the tent to condensate like the propane heat does. I use my big buddy heat cause its less work and takes up less space in the yj and in the tent.

09-22-2014, 07:32 AM
I did the same thing with a wood stove and an shelter with plastic sides. For the wood stove hole take two piece of tin and put it on both sides of the tarp and rivet them together then cut a hole for the pipe. that way you wont melt your wall.

09-22-2014, 07:36 AM
I would have put the stove vent straight through the roof. You are going to have trouble keeping the vent with the 2 elbows from sagging and being pushed by the wind. I ended up bracing the stove vent with two pipes but still it's a hassle when it gets windy.

09-22-2014, 08:12 AM
looks neat!

09-22-2014, 02:11 PM
It will vent better if it goes through the roof.
My setup is similar, but until recently, never had an adequate hole for the stovepipe. I got a welding blanket from Princess Auto for $11 bux. It's good for 1000 degrees.
Just cut a nice big square, and sew the welding blanket in.
I haven't found out how waterproof it is yet....

09-22-2014, 11:02 PM
I was looking for the dry heat the wood stove would afford. It was a debate to go up or out. Since it was only $12 for a side panel I figured I would start with that...

And as I'm finding out with this mock up, sticking the pipe out the side is a pain in the ass...

09-23-2014, 06:38 AM
Yeah big pain in the ass. I have two cabin wall tents and I'm always fighting with the one out the side

09-23-2014, 05:48 PM
both me and chopstick go out the side oh yeah

we only have one elbow though. i just made a "jackstand" to hold it outside of the tent

dirka dave
09-23-2014, 08:02 PM
Have you hotboxed it yet ?

09-23-2014, 08:38 PM
That might work if I route the chimney inside the tent and burned a hay bails worth in the stove...:confused0006:

09-23-2014, 08:44 PM
Cool, and if you cut about a foot of the legs then the side tarps will reach the ground and you can either place some rocks or even dirt on them to seal it better and cut down on the flapping....
Ha ha I said flapping

09-23-2014, 11:07 PM
I'd make a bigger hole. Well it'll melt it bigger lol

Copy cat!! I love mine

Had mine up to 27c inside an -5 outside lol a couple New Years ago when that Trevor guy was around

09-24-2014, 10:19 PM
all the cool kids are doing it.....

09-26-2014, 10:32 PM
vary cool.