PDA

View Full Version : How to fix Fuel Pump Harness clip

Lieutenant Johnson
08-07-2014, 11:00 AM
So i figured out my problem with the no start ...it was the wiring Harness clip to the fuel tank ...i guess a stick pulled on it and rip the female Clip part off that holds the plug together ...

my question is , what is the easiest way to PROPERLY fix this ? I thought a thin strip of crazy glue for a temp fix to hold together (as it needs to be right snug ) or get a new plug (female) and splice the wires? this would be more difficult as it would involve dropping the tank and fixing as you can get up in there

any advice is appreciated http://www.bcjeepclub.ca/Smileys/default/cheers.gif

atoyot
08-07-2014, 11:17 AM
a lil (black)mrgasket around the outside of the male end slide em together they will glue together pretty good..n stay water tight,,,.
when clips like that have broken on the ford i have used this method never had em come apart on their own again... and when u have to go in and take it apart a lil razor knife a couple slits and shell come back apart....
its hack but sometimes hack is the way when u dont wanna cut n splice n drop tank etc,,,,

my 2 pennys of what i have tried with sucess[36]

Lieutenant Johnson
08-07-2014, 11:37 AM
fuck ya Kris...thanks for the advice...was thinking a bit o super glue and some zap straps end to end for backup ....glue doesnt bother me as I will get new clips and splice eventually..... but gasket maker sounds good too

nebowe
08-07-2014, 05:49 PM
dont forget the dielectric grease on the prongs before you glue it together= bulletproof

The King Machine
08-07-2014, 05:52 PM
Isn't super glue is water soluble now a days. I think the black goo would be the better choice.

Nutbar
08-07-2014, 10:16 PM
why don't you guys think of the most simple direct and non screwing you later permanent patch fix . . . put a zip tie around the conector

You don't have to water proof it, it already is a weather tight type conector

evdog
08-07-2014, 10:44 PM
why don't you guys think of the most simple direct and non screwing you later permanent patch fix . . . put a zip tie around the conector

You don't have to water proof it, it already is a weather tight type conector

That was my fix for my rear locker zip tie it up pull tight on it call it a day

Chopstick
08-07-2014, 11:29 PM
pull the connectors out an get another plug, lordco sells them or has a catalog for them then just clip the connectors into the new plug an your done

I see maybe a $5 plug an little time an done properly,

stockwheels
08-08-2014, 06:46 AM
Do it proper don't do a hack job on something that can ruin your day when your along ways from home

Lieutenant Johnson
08-08-2014, 09:22 AM
pull the connectors out an get another plug, lordco sells them or has a catalog for them then just clip the connectors into the new plug an your done

I see maybe a $5 plug an little time an done properly,

so i ended up zap strapping them with two zap straps, with RTV on the male side and all is good...

but Aaron what are these clips you speak of , do the existing plugs , plug into the new ones and are basically like extension of the original plugs? or do i need to splice in the old wires out of existing plugs?

kingg5
08-08-2014, 09:35 AM
so i ended up zap strapping them with two zap straps, with RTV on the male side and all is good...

but Aaron what are these clips you speak of , do the existing plugs , plug into the new ones and are basically like extension of the original plugs? or do i need to splice in the old wires out of existing plugs?

like i said on bcjc.

you unpin the old one and put the terminals into new plug. takes about 2 min.

Lieutenant Johnson
08-08-2014, 10:31 AM
like i said on bcjc.

you unpin the old one and put the terminals into new plug. takes about 2 min.

yes it would if the gas tank and skid were not there.....up that time to 3 hrs with tank drop and kilby skid plate drop.

if it were a plug that was completely accesible on both sides i agree i would do it properly...but its a bitch to get at the female end with the tank there

crimsen
08-08-2014, 10:35 AM
To explain a little further, each wire has a metal terminal crimped on the end. The plastic housing holds the metal terminal. You remove the metal terminal and wire from the plastic housing (usually a little barbed clip or something holding it) then buy a new plastic housing and insert the wire withrhe crimped on terminal into it. It is now just like factory.

This will involve dropping tank or what ever it takes to access the wires with some working room.

Lieutenant Johnson
08-08-2014, 10:41 AM
To explain a little further, each wire has a metal terminal crimped on the end. The plastic housing holds the metal terminal. You remove the metal terminal and wire from the plastic housing (usually a little barbed clip or something holding it) then buy a new plastic housing and insert the wire withrhe crimped on terminal into it. It is now just like factory.

This will involve dropping tank or what ever it takes to access the wires with some working room.

cool thats what i figured ..they are like blades , i know if the tank was dropped it would be easy peasy....but i have a trip next weekend and no time to do ...will tackle after that

kingg5
08-08-2014, 12:35 PM
after the trip, im more than happy to help you do that!

Lieutenant Johnson
08-08-2014, 01:27 PM
after the trip, im more than happy to help you do that!

thanks steve i appreciate that....will schedule a day to it at my buddies as we need to weld a crack in the gas tank skid too

kingg5
08-08-2014, 01:43 PM
thanks steve i appreciate that....will schedule a day to it at my buddies as we need to weld a crack in the gas tank skid too

Sounds good man, we can chat tonight about it.

Chopstick
08-08-2014, 06:24 PM

Thank u. Was gonna explain but was too hung over

vajayjay
08-08-2014, 07:02 PM
So much effort, just do what nutbar said, its stronger than factory. Factory is a small brittle plastic clip that holds the two watertight plugs together. A zip tie or two fully surrounds the plug pulling it together tighter than the factory clip :dontknow:

Lieutenant Johnson
08-11-2014, 10:42 AM
yup all done ...two zappies and they are strong as fck...got clutch finally after two days of bleeding ......replaced steering box last night (as it shit the bed from hard steering down mtn ) ....so good to go for Nahatlatch next week