PDA

View Full Version : rear axles, bearings

Happypants
06-24-2014, 07:36 PM
soo im kinda wondering and im hoping the jeep guru (mikey) will chime in on this, replaceing the rear bearings and seals on the cj (model 20) and im curioius, can I reuse the bearing retainer? we pressed it off and they are in good condition, but ive heard that I cant re use it for some reason, and none of the parts stores, know what im talking about either, lol anyway looking online, most of the exploded view m20 diagrams, don't even show the axleshafts with a bearing retainer on them, and I cant see why I would need them cause its not like the bearing can slip off of it can it? the axle flange is bolted to the end of the housing and the outter seal & backing plate on the axleshaft hold all that in,

on the axle shaft in the pic posted, from 17 to 20 there isn't a bearing retainer in there, sooo:dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow:

what the fuck!?!?!?!?

Cheese eyes
06-24-2014, 07:42 PM
the new bearings should have new retainers with them :pet

Happypants
06-24-2014, 07:43 PM
they never came with new retainers dood, half the ppl in lordco & t&t didn't know what a model 20 rear axle was,
they be about 60 bux, deliverd to my door from rock auto

I even tried the part number from rock auto and yea...

StinkFinger
06-24-2014, 10:35 PM
what holds the shaft in without them?

Happypants
06-24-2014, 10:38 PM
Well I would think the outter seal/flange that bolts to the axle housing,

I ended up ordering new retainers from rockauto tonight, they should be in sumas by friday

StinkFinger
06-24-2014, 11:13 PM
That holds the bering to the housing but what stops the s haft from pulling out of the bering ?

Happypants
06-24-2014, 11:14 PM
The bearings pressed onto the shaft, but if u look at the exploded view of that axle I posted, it Dosent even show a retainer on it

Apathy
06-25-2014, 09:53 AM
i'm with the other guys, the retainer or "collar" as i call it. normally comes with the bearings.

Never seen one that didn't actually.

Happypants
06-25-2014, 10:25 AM
Ohhh yea!! I'm the only one who did lol

4skin
06-25-2014, 01:14 PM
ummm that exploded view is for a 2 piece axle shaft
the wheel mounting flange is separate piece from the axle shaft
yours is one piece isn't it hope you didn't get axle bearings for that design
might explain why the retainer collar isn't with the bearing

Happypants
06-25-2014, 02:16 PM
No I got a BR5 bearing which is the right one,

procircuit
06-25-2014, 03:16 PM
HEY NICK YOUR DOING IT WRONG

Happypants
06-25-2014, 03:58 PM
HEY NICK YOUR DOING IT WRONG

Prolly!!

:D

I'm doing it the same way that it was done before by PO, but I don't think it was done right then either

StinkFinger
06-25-2014, 07:47 PM
I have a 60 you could throw in there

Happypants
06-25-2014, 07:57 PM
I have a 60 as well I could throw in lol, but I sold all my 8 bolt outter stuff for my 44

85chevy
06-25-2014, 09:01 PM
I have a 60 as well I could throw in lol, but I sold all my 8 bolt outter stuff for my 44
I got some for yea:dontknow:

Happypants
06-25-2014, 09:18 PM
This isn't happening lol!! NO!

Nutbar
06-25-2014, 10:02 PM
It probably has one piece after market axles in it so it will NOT be the same as stock parts. Yes you need the press on retainer collar the bearing does not have enough press fit to stay on the shaft. No you can not reuse the old one, one time use only. Lordco Nappa will not have the correct retainer for it, it is a part made specifically for the one piece axle kits for the CJ model 20 axles. They are a smaller size than a standard retainer collar to fit inside the seal and spacer assembly

Happypants
06-25-2014, 10:05 PM
It probably has one piece after market axles in it so it will NOT be the same as stock parts. Yes you need the press on retainer collar the bearing does not have enough press fit to stay on the shaft. No you can not reuse the old one, one time use only. Lordco Nappa will not have the correct retainer for it, it is a part made specifically for the one piece axle kits for the CJ model 20 axles. They are a smaller size than a standard retainer collar to fit inside the seal and spacer assembly

ok, thank you mikey, [cheers] [cheers]

it does have the one piece shafts in it, and I ended up ordering the new retainers online, so im just waiting for them to show up and I can put it all back together,

next time, im just ordering everything online, fuck trying to source everything out piece by piece, bah!!