View Full Version : undergound adventures PT14.... the dig out

05-01-2014, 11:33 AM
well found another mine entrance on the east side and evidence of an old operation.....
many people pass right by here all summer and it goes unnoticed.. i have been there many times and never seen it till this time!!
75+ years of sediment almost covered her for good... but after seein the tip of the entrance and a lil pokiing.......decided its worth going back ......
getting some water out and doin a lil diggin......
lots of tailings around and an ancient road in the back of it.....

heres the findings and ill add to this thread in a couple weeks when i go back to dig the entrance and explore inside.....
mostly just sediment blocking the entrance the water will be easy to get rid of.......
.throwing rocks and long stick into the entrance it goes back a far ways b4 decending down..so i figure worth rechecking out

05-01-2014, 11:40 AM
I need to come adventuring with ya

Lieutenant Johnson
05-01-2014, 11:45 AM
wow cool find dude... like kev says would like to tag along on these adventures...

05-01-2014, 12:02 PM
im gonna arrange n post a few mine adventures comming up....
if some would like to tag along.....
mother nature is doing a good job of making these old site dissapear forever...
and some of u have shown genuine interest in wanting to come n discover with me...

so ill try bringing a few peeps in the near future and see how it goes...[36] .

05-01-2014, 01:04 PM
ya i would love to come exploring soon

05-01-2014, 02:34 PM
If you ever venture up north here I would def be down to go check some stuff out.

05-01-2014, 05:05 PM
have yah found any fat guy friendly entrances.lol

05-01-2014, 06:27 PM
have yah found any fat guy friendly entrances.lol

hell ya!!!!!! some u can drive in:) ......
but usually alot of hikin involved to get to em!!

05-01-2014, 06:46 PM
i am down to go

05-01-2014, 08:13 PM
i have a 2 stroke water pump

,,, i think it still works

05-01-2014, 08:57 PM
I know where that is :D

05-01-2014, 09:35 PM
i have a 2 stroke water pump

,,, i think it still works

A shovel an some effort an the water will be gone but its fawkin hot so the water is fine

05-01-2014, 11:37 PM
Several years ago we attempted to empty an adit that only had about 15" of water in it - just enough to go over my rubber boots, dug a trench to let it drain, thought an hour would be good lol! Not a chance, it might have dropped an inch :D And this mine was near the top of the mountain at about 6000', Silverking mine near Nelson.

There is so much water in the ground this time of year it might be best to wait til late summer when it's dry(er) out.

BTW, I took the gas testing course at work last week and unless you have the tester on a remote going in about a minute ahead of you it won't help a whole lot. With the tester on you if it measures ultra low O2 you won't even hear it alarm before you're down! Would be good for deteriorating conditions for sure, but unless you have the testing gases (big bucks) and a testing station (more bucks) the gas tester is a waste of money. At least this is what I found with the ones at work. They need a bump test daily and recalibration monthly, and annual testing by instrument tech.

05-04-2014, 10:45 PM
thanx for the tips buddy!![cheers]
def gonna have to wait till the drier time

the tester is calibrated n tested regularily n operator who is joining us is certified...

im thinkin just more for trying to detect deteriorating conditions........
(in one certain mine we had a close call in but never finished exploring))
i also have an emergency breathing aparutus ,
instant oxy supply(hood style)
2mins supply not much but hopefully enough to out of a situation...
trying to get a couple more

theres so many unsafe elements when mine hunting.......
caveins,air quality,bacteria, etc etc.....
but sometimes i think thats part of the thrill of it all:rolleyes:

we have to get together this summer......do some exploring n share some stories face to face instead of all this typing[cheers] [36]

05-07-2014, 11:12 PM
I agree! Working 4 and 4 and off 20 days in August and 20 in Oct so should be able to make it out to a mine exploration/camping trip if someone wants to organize one, or 2 :D