PDA

View Full Version : 454 coming out, 6.2 going in

godtool
04-12-2014, 10:52 AM
So my 85 chevy wrecker (now just a flat deck) has 454 on propane. Going to pull out 454 and put in my 81 Jimmy. Then I have 6.2 diesel\700r4 and was going to put 6.2\700R4 into 85 Chevy wrecker for better fuel economy yet buddy says stay with the sm465 thats in the 85 chevy especially if 85 chevy is not going over 80 km/h. So I researched the 6.2 will bolt right up to 454 bell housing\motor mounts yet I'll need to buy a 6.2 liter flywheel, pilot bushing etc. Supposedly I can use a 350 pressure plate or will the 454 pressure plate work? I found that the 454 bell housing may need die grinfing to fit nose of 6.2 L starter... Anyone ever do similar re & re? I want to spend little as possible lol.

Punk in Drublic
04-12-2014, 11:37 AM
Most people pull out the 6.poo and drop in a 454.

85chevy
04-12-2014, 12:15 PM
If u want to spend as little as possible stop doing what ur doing:dontknow:

procircuit
04-12-2014, 12:53 PM
This is a bad idea... 6.2=shitty crank breaking Boat anchor

4skin
04-12-2014, 01:43 PM
And I don't think the 6.2will bolt to the 454 bell housing
Isn't it a B.O.P pattern bell Buick olds Pontiac
wasn't the popular swap into those trucks a olds motor because it bolted in
And the pos diesel was based of a olds motor

85chevy
04-12-2014, 06:05 PM
Pretty sure your wrong GM still uses the same bell housing pattern to this day which is y LS swaps are so easy just requires a thicker flywheel or flexpate. But your right its a waste of time but ur thinking of the olds engine not the 6.2 and 6.5 built by Detroit diesel

worktruck
04-12-2014, 06:31 PM

Nope to all. 6.2 does has a SBC bellhousing pattern IIRC. I know the 6.5 does. They're decent motors, they were designed by Detroit Diesel. You're thinking of the old 5.7 diesel, which actually was based off an Olds gas engine. If you can find a good 5.7 diesel block, they're way beefier than the gas blocks and you can build a wild stroker out of them. As far as 6.2/6.5 crank breakage goes, that's thanks to the harmonic dampers. It has two of them and they suck.

4skin
04-12-2014, 06:32 PM
I was wrong the 6.2 is same as chevy I was thinking of the old 5.7 pos
But think its going to suck monkey balls without a overdrive trans behind it
And it was a popular swap in the older ones to do a olds swap
When the heads cracked
Oh and the ls motor has a diferent bolt pattern
it will bolt up but one bolt don't line up

85chevy
04-12-2014, 07:05 PM
Your going to have to change the fuel systems on both trucks too can't be running diesel in the gas tank and gas in the diesel tank:dontknow:

abec
04-13-2014, 09:32 AM
You can still buy the flywheels new from pArts stores I'd personally put a turbo 400 behind it the 700r4 will shit the bed fairly quik when used to haul a load you can try looking on car-part.com maybe a wrecker has one somewhere. The fuel systems are basically the same on those older trucks only diff really is the return and fuel filter setup

worktruck
04-13-2014, 10:17 AM
Gonna want a new tank at the least though, it's probably full of rust and water and you need to make sure it isn't galvanized. Honestly this seems like a lot more trouble than its worth. But if you have nothing better to do with your time, and you have the money to piece together all the odds and ends, then giver I guess.

godtool
04-13-2014, 10:27 AM
Being forced into retirement due to accident I got nothing but time to waste lol. The 6.2\700R4 is still sitting in a 86 Jimmy frame. I was thinking initially of mounting a CJ8 tub\front clip on 86 Jimmy frame with 6.2. Then when I bought 85 Chev with 454 on propane I figured 454 would be good in my 81 Jimmy mud truck and put 6.2 in 85 chevy. I have 350\sm465\np205 I could then put into 86 Jimmy frame with CJ8 tub etc. I know it all sounds kinda crazy. I enjoy the work and building this stuff and it keeps me from going crazy lol. Thanks for all the replies! More food for thought!!

worktruck
04-13-2014, 11:33 AM
Well, you're going to be swapping a whole lot of stuff from truck to truck to make this work. The braking system is most likely different, the diesel will definitely have hydroboost, good chance the gasser has regular vacuum boost. The fuel systems will need to be swapped around. The 700R4 probably takes its kickdown signal electronically, probably easiest to just swap the transmissions with their respective engines. Might land you with trans crossmember difficulties though. Are either of them 4x4? Transfer cases can complicate the tranny swap idea too. Exhaust systems will probably need modifications to work. I would seriously recommend putting a turbo on that 6.2, even if it only makes a few pounds of boost it will make driving it much more liveable. They are horribly gutless!

godtool
04-14-2014, 09:41 PM
I had a line on a 6.5 turbo diesel... the cab was rusted out but I think the guy sold it. How easy is it to put a turbo on a 6.2? Where would I buy all the necessary parts? It would be nice to just bolt 6.2 up to sm465. Sounds like I'd need to buy a 6.2 flywheel for sure. I have extra 350 pressure plates and an extra 454 pressure plate too. All trucks I have are 4x4. I have a slew of front and rear driveshafts and a buddy that can help me weld\balance driveshafts as needed. I can do all the swapping of fuel systems, exhaust etc. I have a 86 chev cab set-up for automatic tranny 700r4 that I can exchange with the 85 chev standard cab. I have the hydroboost brake set-up complete with 6.2 along with diesel fuel lines\tank. I pretty well have everything for all the swapping. I have a good 350 that could also bolt up to sm465 in 85 chevy. I just figure the 6.2 will get better mileage compared to the propane 454 or a gasser 350.

abec
04-14-2014, 10:49 PM
Yea you can bolt a gm 8 turbo setup off a newer truck onto a 6.2 you would need the exhaust manifolds, gm8 turbo, intake hat, and intake manifold . Then you need to weld a oil return into the oil pan for the turbo you can feed oil to the turbo off the oil preasure sender on the back of the engine cheApest would be a donor truck you'd would probally see 20to 25mpg with the 6.2 n/a setup that what I was getting on mine