PDA

View Full Version : TJ Rear Sway Bar ???

Lieutenant Johnson
03-25-2014, 11:01 AM
So I have been running without my rear sway on the TJ ever since I did the 8.8 swap and RHM forgot to send my mounts http://www.bcjeepclub.ca/Smileys/default/whistle.gif ....anyways lets just say there are some pros and cons ....Id like to say that it articulates better in the rear, but I have nothing to compare to, as I have always ran no sway bar . I am being told it makes NO difference .... It definetly does give me that " Tippy " feeling in ALMOST all off camber or slightly off camber situations. Also when sideways on a hill it is super sketchy.

Now that I picked up a trailer, I can see the importance more and more having a rear sway bar on the road, as it wanders a bit every once in a while now.. I read on Jeepforum that the rear sway is an integral part of the TJ supsension working properly , as the front and rear works in conjunction with each other and the rear sway bar is a big part of this fine tuning. Also removing the Rear sway bar will actually cause you TO ROLL OVER more .... as it causes more body roll???

I would like to lose that "Tippy" feeling i get in almost all situations and a better hwy ride would be nice.

With this being said with 4.5" of lift do you need to extend your swar bar links in the rear? or are you guys with lifts that high on TJs running stock setup.... I know anti rocks are the " in between" stock and no sway bar , but i dont have the funds/or desire to spend that much for this ...

Just need to try something different and see if I am more stable on the trails and on road...

looking for some input from those at my lift height and setup ...

epic3
03-25-2014, 11:58 AM
when I took both sway bars off my zj it was night and day diff very tippy feeling and they are almost the same suspension. On my xj I took them off and noticed very little diff untill I put in softer bilstien shocks then it was a bit more tippy but not nearly as much as the zj

Lieutenant Johnson
03-25-2014, 12:18 PM
when I took both sway bars off my zj it was night and day diff very tippy feeling and they are almost the same suspension. On my xj I took them off and noticed very little diff untill I put in softer bilstien shocks then it was a bit more tippy but not nearly as much as the zj

yeah man thats what i feel...tippy on the smallest shit ....tired of feeling that feeling would rather feel that when i am actually about to tip....

so gonna throw in a stock sway bar $10 , ext links $30 and see how she feels ...i know this is the cause of my major tippy and my suspension not working properly together with each other (front to back)

thanks for the post really helps

Bent Black
03-25-2014, 12:31 PM
Maybe that's what my Toyota needs next. Does any one know what material they are made from. Guy at work made some with 4130 shafting..

crazylike
03-25-2014, 12:42 PM
correct me if i'm wrong but i believe they made of spring steel

Moondog
03-25-2014, 04:38 PM
It makes no difference I ran mine with rear sway bar and it still articulated

Lieutenant Johnson
03-25-2014, 04:40 PM
It makes no difference I ran mine with rear sway bar and it still articulated

my jeep flexes great now ...good to know it can still be flexy with sway bar in ! were you running extended sway bar links in the rear ? and if so what brand and what level of lift were they good to??

if i were to do that in the pic now...i would flex but my body would roll to one side for sure because of lack of sway bar in rear ...in that pic you have zero body roll

thanks moondog

Moondog
03-25-2014, 04:44 PM
nope just factory sway bar and mounts

Lieutenant Johnson
03-25-2014, 04:46 PM
nope just factory sway bar and mounts

really ?? and how much lift ?

dont know how that worked cuz lift kits come with extended links

Bent Black
03-25-2014, 09:35 PM
correct me if i'm wrong but i believe they made of spring steel

That's what I would think:dontknow:

epic3
03-25-2014, 10:10 PM
it is spring steel and they work torsionally so the larger the diameter the more resistance they have to twist and therefore flex

Lieutenant Johnson
03-26-2014, 10:36 AM
muddatrucka ...cant find a friggin sway bar or mounts ....cmon people even tried the wreckas...

I'm not here
03-26-2014, 04:18 PM
I've got a JK rear sway bar if it works for you.

I have Curries front and rear, and believe me, they are REALLY fun on the road.

Lieutenant Johnson
03-26-2014, 05:11 PM
lol thanks Im not here.....i just had a buddy give me freebie from his Rubi ..he is getting antirrocks and his truss wouldnt allow his sway bar to be in still