PDA

View Full Version : Winch question

toyon35s
03-15-2014, 11:40 PM
How differant is the wiring on the solinoids on a 5 pin warn controller to a three pin controller? I hooked up my winch and it seems that somewhere in the wiring it's fucked up , seems to have power going threw the whole winch , anyone know how to wire up the solinoids on this winch properly , I can't seem to find the diagram on line and it don't make sence to me :confused0006:

westcoaster
03-16-2014, 10:23 AM
This is the only one I got on my computer....

Looks to be for a three post.

4skin
03-16-2014, 10:42 PM
Is it fine till you plug controller in ?
Is it a m seres or vr seres warn diferent controller pack
has a contractor vr has a solenoid pack like diagram
Not shure what you mean by whole winch is getting power
They work by powering two of the lugs on the motor
Through the solenoid pack
Try undoing one of the wires or all of them off the motor and check to see if they are all getting power now should be only 2 with power when solenoid pack is triggered if al three are powered you probably have a stuck solenoids
If that checks out then its the motor shorted internaly

dexter302
03-16-2014, 11:07 PM
http://www.wms1.com/wms1/InfoDrawings.html

Look on the right, lower links, Choose which setup you have.
But im pretty sure westcoaster has the correct diagram.

toyon35s
03-16-2014, 11:12 PM
Everything worked fine then it stopped , I took off the ground from the battery and the winch still worked, by the whole winch had power I mean when I jumped the power to suck the cable back in the cable had power going threw it, one hell of a spark show everytime the cable hit the flair lead

4skin
03-17-2014, 07:42 AM
Might be a bad ground to the winch then
By removing the ground wire from bat you must mean for the winch
Not the truck ground to bat or you would have no power
Pull the winch out clean all the mounting points or at least make shure it isn't lose
Make sure the ground cable to winch has good conections
And has continuity
The winch cable was sparking because that's what was grounding the winch
Think there is also a small ground wire from the solenoid pack
To winch motor but obviously the solenoids are working
Or by jumping the winch were you bypassing the solenoids

westcoaster
03-17-2014, 08:31 AM
Big fat ground wire from the winch motor to the battery?

westcoaster
04-23-2014, 12:16 AM
How differant is the wiring on the solinoids on a 5 pin warn controller to a three pin controller? I hooked up my winch and it seems that somewhere in the wiring it's fucked up , seems to have power going threw the whole winch , anyone know how to wire up the solinoids on this winch properly , I can't seem to find the diagram on line and it don't make sence to me :confused0006:

So there I am sitting with a whole drum of cable on the ground and a dead winch. The three pin controller is working just fine in the 6000 pound winch but the 9000 was dead...
I figured out the 9000 pound winch needed a five pin controller. All I had were three pin controllers. I Never knew this winch was different

My bush fix:

Run a jumper between the two "extra" pins and plug in the three pin controller...

One pin is always hot
one pin is a ground
two pins for in/out
and one pin for solenoid ground

Inside the winch are two post solenoids that are not internally grounded. Apply power to one post, the other post must be run to ground. Warn decided to make that ground connection through the controller.
I bypassed that by running the jumper shown.

Bit late to the party, but there's your answer...

westcoaster
04-23-2014, 12:17 AM
and again?

double post glitch...

toyon35s
04-23-2014, 04:52 PM
I figured it out , the winch on my yota is24v and the new one was one 12v re wired direct switch works wicked [36]

4skin
04-24-2014, 10:45 PM
Do you still have the 24 volt winch

toyon35s
04-26-2014, 09:14 PM
Do you still have the 24 volt winch

Yup I do, it's the winch on my 4runner and the only way it's coming off is if I cut the Exo off lol