PDA

View Full Version : 2003 silverado stereo

godtool
02-10-2014, 10:26 AM
My stock cd stacker\stereo in my 03 Silverado stopped working few years back and if you draw a vertical center line through stereo all the lights don't work on one side. The radio no worky either. It will still play a cd yet no volume at times. Same for radio. Plus I'd hear static in speakers when its not even turned on when opening doors. Loose ground? Where would grounds for stereo be? Anyways found a stereo with aux jack for my iphone so any tips about putting aftermarket stereo into my truck? I've put stereos in lots of my autos from the 80's but not in a newer truck...

procircuit
02-10-2014, 11:10 AM
Get the dash kit for the new stereo and harness.. Old one slides out new one slides in.. Easy peasey

worktruck
02-10-2014, 06:45 PM
It's ridiculously easy to do stereos on those trucks. Pretty much just pull the whole dash plate off, then the deck slides out when you take out a couple screws.

godtool
02-11-2014, 09:36 AM
Get the dash kit for the new stereo and harness.. Old one slides out new one slides in.. Easy peasey

I'm just buying a used stereo for the aux jack mainly. Yet if you buy a new stereo it would have a plug that will plug into silverado harness? I could use this ol stereo I'm buying for my 83 chev plow truck till I can buy new stereo that simply plugs into my silverado...

procircuit
02-11-2014, 11:32 AM
I'm just buying a used stereo for the aux jack mainly. Yet if you buy a new stereo it would have a plug that will plug into silverado harness? I could use this ol stereo I'm buying for my 83 chev plow truck till I can buy new stereo that simply plugs into my silverado...

just get a harness that will use your factory plugs.. and you wire that harness to your shitty used deck.

worktruck
02-11-2014, 06:59 PM
No new stereo just plugs into your existing harness. You have to buy a harness to do that. It's usually about $20. You wire the harness the deck comes with to the aftermarket harness designed to plug into the factory harness in your truck. Then you just plug it in. It's considerably easier, not to mention all around better, than hacking up the wiring in the truck to wire the deck harness into.

godtool
02-12-2014, 10:24 AM
The deck I bought yesterday is about year and 6 months old. Its made by Dual. Looks like I'll need to get a wiring harness from their website to fit in a vehicle we own. I'm thinking use it in our 93 jeep cherokee since it may not have enough power for Silverado. Found new deck online for $150 yet its $100+ for proper wiring harness. Sent email to www.dualav.com to see what they can tell me. My 03 Silverado is the LT model. Crew Cab 2500HD duramax with bose speakers. The one website says it can be a 8 or 9 speaker system. How do I tell? Vin #??

godtool
02-12-2014, 10:37 AM
Anyone suggest a good onluine source to buy a good deck for my 03 Silverado?

http://www.crutchfield.com?

SuzukiSamurai
02-12-2014, 11:05 AM
You can fit a double din in the dash without too much effort... Will look way better than a tiny deck where the old 6" one was

And if you get one with out nav they are usually under $400

Tunabomber
02-12-2014, 11:30 AM
The new pioneer decks are great and cheap too

250 bucks and loaded with cool features.

Blue tooth rocks 2000 songs in my phone and it automatically connects when I'm within 30 feet of my truck

All phone sound is streamed to the truck speakers. Great for watching movies and stuff too

Moondog
02-12-2014, 01:37 PM
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/e2-car-stereo-wiring-connector-for-1988-2005-gm-vehicles-0350057p.html#.UvvbBGJdWSo

Just have to cut plug from your donor radio attach wires to this adaptor plug in and done

godtool
02-13-2014, 08:41 AM
I found this at www.Crutchfield.com: Pioneer FH-X700BT CD Receiver, 2DIN. Its $179.00. $279.00 total including adapters and parts to install. Thanks for all the tips. I could spend $100 more for better deck. Going to buy something beginning of March. I'll look at that adapter at Canadian Tire next time I'm there.

godtool
02-13-2014, 08:47 AM
I'll check prices in town yet I live about 2-4 hrs from any place that sells decks. Mail order gets to my post office lol.

godtool
02-13-2014, 08:48 AM
Going to Williams Lk Friday so maybe go to Canadian Tire... Walmart there too. Future Shop in Kamloops lol. Local place in 100 Mile may be crazy expensive yet I look there too.