PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly Clutch Shim Mod

kootenaycat
02-05-2014, 11:52 PM
Just watched the quadding vids from f150hulk and listening to Honky's Grizzly sounding like it's in high gear even though I'm sure it's in low range. Bigger tires change the overall gear ratio and you lose a lot of the bottom end torque.

When I went to 27's on my 700 I shimmed the sheaves on the primary clutch and it brought it back to what feels like stock. There are after market sheaves that give you a lower starting ratio and more top speed but for less then $10 the shims work well.

Yamaha part # for the 1mm shim is 90201-225A4-00 and the 0.5mm shim is 90201-222F0-00

Good write up on Grizzlycentral : http://www.grizzlycentral.com/forum/grizzly-engine-transmission/23005-how-do-shim-mod.html

One day I'd like to get a machine shop to turn my primary sheaves to get a lower ratio then the shim trick and still retain top speed.

Tunabomber
02-06-2014, 12:22 AM
Thats pretty cool

boyzen
02-06-2014, 07:28 AM
One day I'd like to get a machine shop to turn my primary sheaves to get a lower ratio then the shim trick and still retain top speed.

i did that on my cat and i can drive at 2 miles an hour in high range steady and retained 95 % of top speed

Honky
02-06-2014, 09:36 AM
Good advice! I have 28's on and it seems ok but I was thinking of doing this mod.

kootenaycat
02-06-2014, 09:42 AM
i did that on my cat and i can drive at 2 miles an hour in high range steady and retained 95 % of top speed

After almost 10,000km of abuse my wet clutch is pretty worn so my crawling speed is nowhere near yours, that's more like my low gear speed. Grizzlys are geared high to start with so any mod to bring it down is good.

Honky
02-06-2014, 10:25 AM
I will take your advice and get'r done. I do trails 99% of the time...that's why the plastics are all brokedededed. Lower is better....I bought a 2nd Griz not for the speed

kootenaycat
02-06-2014, 12:46 PM
There's a guy on Quads.ca who will machine the outer primary sheave for $100, going to send mine to him in a couple of months and get it done. Should give me a lower starting ratio then the 1.5mm shim and I'm thinking I can put the .5mm shim in as well if it's still not low enough.

My grizz plastic is pretty beat up too, no actual cracks (except the foot wells) but they're scratched, gouged and creased from being squeezed into places they shouldn't :D

The King Machine
02-06-2014, 01:44 PM
There's a guy on Quads.ca who will machine the outer primary sheave for $100, going to send mine to him in a couple of months and get it done. Should give me a lower starting ratio then the 1.5mm shim and I'm thinking I can put the .5mm shim in as well if it's still not low enough.

My grizz plastic is pretty beat up too, no actual cracks (except the foot wells) but they're scratched, gouged and creased from being squeezed into places they shouldn't :D

His name is Mike (Glenlivet) on Quads.ca
He's in Hope. Nice guy

i had him machine my primary about 2 years ago. I also run a .5 shim and a Dalton heavy duty clutch spring and rollers.

1.5 mm shim puts you at the end of the splines. Just be careful.

With heavy 28" tires I can pop the front end up with very little effort.
Not sure if it's the same for yami's but I was able to bolt in a GSXR fuel injector and run a copper head ECU

kootenaycat
02-06-2014, 02:53 PM
His name is Mike (Glenlivet) on Quads.ca
He's in Hope. Nice guy

i had him machine my primary about 2 years ago. I also run a .5 shim and a Dalton heavy duty clutch spring and rollers.

1.5 mm shim puts you at the end of the splines. Just be careful.

That's the guy. Does he machine the belt face or where the rollers ride?

I've had the 1.5mm shim in mine for about 3 years now and no issues.

The King Machine
02-06-2014, 03:31 PM
Belt Face.

One thing I noted was if a quality belt isn't used ie. OEM or equivalent.
They don't tend to last as long, I had a Dayco belt completely shatter into tiny bits after only a couple hundred KM's

I rounded the splines slightly on my Suzuki when I was running 1.5mm.
Yami's might be different.

kootenaycat
02-06-2014, 08:54 PM
OEM belts are the way to go even if theyre pricey. I used to shred Dayco's on my 800 summit so went back to oem.