PDA

View Full Version : Dual battery...

SuzukiSamurai
01-15-2014, 04:30 AM
Hey guys, so I have a 2003 gmc sierra 2500hd with a 6.0 gasser and I'm needing to buy a battery this week.. So I figure why not buy two :D

I have been doing quite a bit of reading the last couple days and it's basically 50/50 for running in patellar lot isolated.

So has anyone converted to duals? Or have any tips on doing this?
Duramaxes come factory parallel, but most people who upgrade say to run isolated.
I know to buy the same battary from a very close manufacture date....

Chopstick
01-15-2014, 11:10 AM
I have a 135amp breaker between my batteries but otherwise they are connected to eachother

If i need to seperate them i trip the breaker. Works great when im in the bush an dont want to kill my main battery pumpin the tunes

Tunabomber
01-15-2014, 11:20 AM
If your winching would it not be better to be parallel?

4skin
01-15-2014, 12:52 PM
Yes they are run parellel without a isolator
In the dura max because they need the amps for starting it
If you want the extra batt to run a camper or tunes like the slopey one
You want it isolated main batt for starting and running truck
Second batt for tunes camper etc

atoyot
01-15-2014, 04:06 PM
they sell isolator dual battery kits... comes with holder n all wireing etc...
price wasnt bad for whatcha get....
with it isolated u dont have to worry bout killin ur battery runnin camper stuff or tunes!.

westcoaster
01-15-2014, 06:27 PM
https://www.acklandsgrainger.com/AGIPortalWeb/WebSource/ProductDisplay/globalProductDetailDisplay.do?item_code=CLH24059

Best battery "isolator" on the market.

Ran one in the old dodge for 10 years and have run one in the new dodge for the same amount of time to isolate the camper battery.

No voltage loss between batteries,
Simple,
Easy and cheap to set up.
Dead nuts reliable....

Edit: And CHEAP (ok, acklands isn't cheap, you can find those continuous duty solenoids elsewhere for a less)

85chevy
01-15-2014, 06:59 PM
https://www.acklandsgrainger.com/AGIPortalWeb/WebSource/ProductDisplay/globalProductDetailDisplay.do?item_code=CLH24059

Best battery "isolator" on the market.

Ran one in the old dodge for 10 years and have run one in the new dodge for the same amount of time to isolate the camper battery.

No voltage loss between batteries,
Simple,
Easy and cheap to set up.
Dead nuts reliable....

Edit: And CHEAP (ok, acklands isn't cheap, you can find those continuous duty solenoids elsewhere for a less)
If there is a voltage drop u have poor connections or a cheap solenoid but yes its as simple as a solenoid to isolate a battery. You won't need the cranking amps but if yea use them to winch instead of 700 CCA u would end up with 1400CCA when in parallel which is why some commercial trucks run 4 batteries in parallel

westcoaster
01-15-2014, 07:03 PM
If there is a voltage drop u have poor connections or a cheap solenoid but yes its as simple as a solenoid to isolate a battery.

"solid state" isolators will have a minor voltage drop across the isolator, solenoids will not, is where I was going with that.

should have made that clearer...

85chevy
01-15-2014, 07:42 PM
"solid state" isolators will have a minor voltage drop across the isolator, solenoids will not, is where I was going with that.

should have made that clearer...
Does it have a light or led on it cause that is a load an causes a voltage drop.....

SuzukiSamurai
01-15-2014, 10:12 PM
Yes they are run parellel without a isolator
In the dura max because they need the amps for starting it
If you want the extra batt to run a camper or tunes like the slopey one
You want it isolated main batt for starting and running truck
Second batt for tunes camper etc

Exactly what I needed! Now does anyone know where to get battery trays? Steelership wants $65

epic3
01-16-2014, 12:54 AM
wreckers. Pick n pull. that acklands solenoid is waaaay over priced. You can get the same thing from lordco of all places for less then half that. Its called a CONSTANT DUTY solenoid.

Chopstick
01-16-2014, 08:57 AM
I have the smart solenoid
This thing http://m.ebay.com.au/itm?itemId=171199717202
I can sell it to u