View Full Version : underground adventures 11..........above ground clues to find the treasure....

01-13-2014, 12:45 PM
everyone always asks ...how do u find this stuff...
well i decided to show a one of many(recent) trips i have done over the years that was a day of clue searching... to not find the buried treasure..

still found stuff that i consider treasure...
and the clues that lead up to me finding the mine or settlement im lookin for
again based on geology of the land...
stories from when i was a kid(bill barlee was a long time family friend)
old roads
out buildings
tailings and diggins
old cut timber
all from the past long ago when there was no civilization......
the people that came and lived off the land
in hope of strikin it rich
wether it was mining or logging..
walking in the pasts foot steps is my reward even when i dont find
days are spent clue finding ,hikin through the bush and returning to keep hunting the clues as daylight fades, just to go back n doit again till i find what im lookin for...

so heres a start of another search...
a day spent finding clues seeing how new forrestry activity has re hidden treasure they dont find important and then it gets lost forever...
but its not all gone....... i just had to keep looking...
me n choppy have some great leads to go reexplore and im sure well find it,
it just takes a few trips sometimes....:)

what looks like just forrest floor to the untrained eye is full of clues if u know what to look for;)

the snow makes it very difficult to find things that may already be burried from dirt and seasons passing.......decomposition etc...
so now that theres snow in the hills the searching will have to wait...
its sketchy looking for stuff when u cant see the ground through the snow
and walking on old timbers when u cant see what ur walking on has got me hurt in the past, so im trying to be smarter as i grow in my explorations...

i dont like showing locations because i put alot of work in finding these treasures some people havent seen in many many years..
and im not giving up secrets i had to work hard to find....
and publicity of some of these spots would make people want to see them...
the more people that see them the greater the chance of vandalism etc,
things like facebook share too much info...
everyone wants to be in the spotlight" come see what i found heres it is"!!!
1 turns into 10 turns into 100
then its not a secret or a treasure anymore...

please i know the car on the stump may be recognizable to a few of u..
i was hesitant in putting it up...but it shows how forrestry is also burrying these old treasures...(some in our own backyard)
please keep location details out of this thread..it will get deleted...

hopefully adventures 11.2 have the mine!!!!

01-13-2014, 12:54 PM
These adventures are just PURE AWESOME. I wish I had someone here to go exploring with as Im sure there is a shit tonne of cool spots to find up here.
Keep it up and thanks for sharing![cheers]

01-13-2014, 01:20 PM
good adventure but it looks like mother nature is closing you down for a while

Did you take that upper road we talked about?

The King Machine
01-13-2014, 03:20 PM
I've past by those bed springs before. If I did not have to work this past weekend I might ran into you guys.

If this is, where I think it is

01-13-2014, 04:43 PM
Those trees on the ground were insane! Havent seen some that thick before. Man it was a wet day, it was hard to take pics in it

01-14-2014, 07:51 AM
[cheers] cool beans :D

dirka dave
01-14-2014, 08:02 AM
oh yeah nice pictures.

would like to go on one of your adventures some time.

01-14-2014, 02:23 PM
Good thread! I have maps and geological books (from the 50's and earlier) on the West Kootenay, passed down from family which helped me start my search for old mines. Once i started seeing similar patterns between the mines it gave me clues to watch for when out mine hunting. Tailings piles - slopes covered in broken rock up to the size of a volleyball, usually same brown-orange colour from the rusting iron in the rock. Cutlines through trees and thick old rusty cables running through the forest - old paths where the tramways ran which carried the ore down from the mine. Timbers and logs from old buildings and other structures - found some cool old bottles when poking around these areas . Man made rock walls - cement was hard to come by 100 years ago so they built some really cool retaining walls out of hand stacked rock. Old walking and horse trails/roads - easy to distinguish in this area between an older logging road and an old mining road - they built the mining roads to last unlike the temporary logging access roads. And switchbacks for an old mine are way tighter then logging. 60 - 70 years ago they used short dump trucks on some mines. And the real give away that your close is rail tracks - lead from top of tailings piles to the mine entrance which often times is collapsed but still cool seeing tracks disappearing into the mountainside!

Pretty much anything that doesnt look natural is a tell that something happened there decades ago. And when you are out driving/quadding around and see something like this, get off your ass and start hiking around the bush :D I've stumbled across old mines that havent been seen in 60 plus years that way because most people are lazy ha ha!

01-14-2014, 02:57 PM
yup thats the trick kootenaycat.....
u learn after years ,what to look for
and its everywhere u gotta be willing to spends day n day following the clues... and stories and maps passed down through family
and family friends(bill barlee)

got me goin when i was about 11....been goin at it eversince!!!
its in my blood and the discovery of something that hasent been seen in a verylong time is my reward..
also do panniing etc...but the exploring and discovering is what i really enjoy..

if u see something not natural inspect the area...

and yes huge difference between logging camp/road and a mining camp /road..
experience is the only way to learn
n being lazy wont let ya find anything....

i dont shar my secrets as i said it takes weeks sometimes of goin back to find the goods n im not about to hand it out easily..
when peeps wanna come ...i expect ya to work.. and im not takin a big group out its not a field trip...
. its tough trekkin alot of the time through land thats really tough to trek through... youll find out pretty quick if ur inshape enough to find the hidden secrets...an follow me up mountains through streams and through dense forrest sometimes finding only tiny clues in a whole day of searchin..mother nature is good a covering up the past...
peeps that are truly interested in this type of stuff will understand why im dont taks lots of peeps where i go..im not being a dick.. its just more peeps more risk of disaster and if u cant keep up itll really slow me down and when im out there im ona mission!!!:)....

01-14-2014, 03:42 PM
(bill barlee was a long time family friend)

cool. l used to love watching that show and hearing about all these old and forgotin places.

01-14-2014, 04:20 PM
always cool seeing these, ever fallen down a shaft?

01-14-2014, 04:34 PM
First one is an old pack trail near Nelson

No 2 is an old adit, another good thing to watch for is a small stream where there really shouldn't be a stream, not natural creek. Mines act like drains for the mountain.

3 - Tracks coming from a mine to a dump for the ore

4 Hand stacked rock wall

5 More tracks leading from mine to top of tailings pile

6 Top of tailings pile with tracks. We spotted the tailings from the bottom of the valley quadding along the road. Then had to hike up to the mine, was worth it - got to go underground :D

01-14-2014, 04:46 PM
man y didnt you meantion this when i was there?! i would of checed that out for sure!! need to plan a quading trip out there with one day an go exploring

01-14-2014, 05:55 PM
man y didnt you meantion this when i was there?! i would of checed that out for sure!! need to plan a quading trip out there with one day an go exploring

This stuff is all close to home and you guys were 3 hours north lol. Next time if I'm not working I'll play tour guide :D

Lieutenant Johnson
01-20-2014, 03:58 PM
cool stuff Koot...

thanks for some tips on how to find...been searching the web on local caves..and alot come up for the island ...BIG ones 100s of ft deep ....gotta get over there

lincoln locked
01-20-2014, 04:42 PM
nice looks like a lot of fun I have to do more exploring and get my ass out of the truck[cheers]

01-20-2014, 05:02 PM
ya the island caves are fuckin awsome

Lieutenant Johnson
01-22-2014, 10:19 AM
ya the island caves are fuckin awsome

like this one .... damn flows out of a lake and is deeeeeeeep[36]Horne lake caves..

01-22-2014, 10:33 AM
Im going there this summer!!

Lieutenant Johnson
01-22-2014, 11:20 AM
Im going there this summer!!

lemme know when.... the family will go on this too...we could hit a bunch in a weekend ..

01-22-2014, 11:53 AM
lemme know when.... the family will go on this too...we could hit a bunch in a weekend ..
Yup! I will probly go for a week though. 2 days is a waste

01-22-2014, 06:47 PM
Yup! I will probly go for a week though. 2 days is a waste

let me know too... I wanna take pics there

Lieutenant Johnson
01-23-2014, 10:05 AM
let me know too... I wanna take pics there

maybe we can plan a 4 day trip ?? in the summer