PDA

View Full Version : Cat 550

longhorn
01-07-2014, 12:01 PM
I bought a old POS Arctic Cat 550 and the kill switch doesn't work, can someone explain what makes them work and how I can go about fixing it.

I started the smoking shitbox up in my shop and it almost suffocated me before I got it shut off.

kootenaycat
01-07-2014, 11:39 PM
The old cats were all normally closed (to run) so unplugging ign or kill switch should kill it. My 580 and 550 both had bad ignition switches so I bypassed them and had to put a jumper in to make them run.

But your issue is probably because someone already unplugged the main harness plug for the handlebar wiring and put the factory jumper in. Follow the wires from the handlebars down and you should find it. They had a safety switch in case the throttle stuck open and they always went bad making the sled bog or not start all together so guys would just put the jumper from the tool kit in and leave it and use the ignition switch to shut it off. And I'm betting they did the same for the ignition switch because these went before the safety switch.

longhorn
01-08-2014, 07:58 PM
The old cats were all normally closed (to run) so unplugging ign or kill switch should kill it. My 580 and 550 both had bad ignition switches so I bypassed them and had to put a jumper in to make them run.

But your issue is probably because someone already unplugged the main harness plug for the handlebar wiring and put the factory jumper in. Follow the wires from the handlebars down and you should find it. They had a safety switch in case the throttle stuck open and they always went bad making the sled bog or not start all together so guys would just put the jumper from the tool kit in and leave it and use the ignition switch to shut it off. And I'm betting they did the same for the ignition switch because these went before the safety switch.

Thank you