PDA

View Full Version : "If you ever have to change it, throw the truck away!"

Tinker
11-06-2013, 02:05 AM
Well the title is what I was told last time (and first and only time ever) I had my 03 150 in a shop for front end work. Truly wished I hadn't been so chicken and just done it myself. I had been told that over 10,000 pounds had been applied to the bearing and the axle would not release, wonder how good that was for the bearing to be put back on? "If you ever need to change the axle or the bearing just throw the truck in the garbage", is what I was told when I picked up my "repaired" truck lol. So 18 months a pair of front tires and less than 10,000 k and I have it apart myself, or at least with some sideline cheering on from Atoyot. Here is the beauty part......fuck do I love atf for freeing seized anything :D once the spindle hub and axle had been removed as one piece I set it upright and filled the hub cup (for lack of a better term) with Atf and let it sit for 48 hours. Come back, slight tap with a hammer and the axle was on the ground. Shook the spindle and hub followed! The ATF had pentrated everywhere! Very happy guy! Guess it don't need throwing away (insert ford joke here). Thought it might help a few with similar seizing issues. So new lower bj's , upper control arm adjusters, TRE's, hubs, anti sway links some other steering parts and brakes and it will be as good as new.....
Guess all those years with a dana 30 were good for teaching me on how to deal with hub bearings lol
http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k590/leahtinker/CAM00474_zpsc51060e6.jpg

http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k590/leahtinker/CAM00469_zps355bb481.jpg

http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k590/leahtinker/CAM00470_zps78ef7a84.jpg

http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k590/leahtinker/CAM00473_zpsbde2988d.jpg

http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k590/leahtinker/CAM00472_zps8d4e67c0.jpg

Happypants
11-06-2013, 09:00 AM
Nice, yea Mandy's explorer is about 600 bux worth of control arms and bushings every year or so, ATF works awesome, gotta love neverseize as well,

dirka dave
11-06-2013, 09:29 AM
Are you finally done with my socket ?

Tinker
11-06-2013, 10:42 AM
Yes...as soon as I find mine

atoyot
11-06-2013, 10:50 AM
easy peazy.:)

dirka dave
11-06-2013, 01:08 PM
Did you change the idler arm ?

New front tires ?

skyjacker
11-06-2013, 06:21 PM
Just goes to show how shitty these shops are and how little they actually know about automotive maintnece

epic3
11-06-2013, 08:04 PM
Dont knock the shops so much they and you cant afford to have your truck sitting on their hoist for 24 hours while waiting for ATF to penetrate.
Yes its great for when your not in a rush but otherwise you need a real press. There are other ways of doing it you can press them out using the force of the power steering to do the work.

toyotaAlex
11-06-2013, 08:21 PM
well if you look, most of the people that work at these shops are Automotive Service Technicians not Mechanics and therefore dont know many of the tricks that a good mechanic would. I have always thought of technicians being more like parts changers IMO

85chevy
11-06-2013, 08:24 PM
Funny my Title is Service Technician Apprentice but I am doing a Heavy Duty Mechanic Apprenticeship:dontknow:

Trailjunkie
11-06-2013, 08:27 PM
jeep . that is all. lol

85chevy
11-06-2013, 08:29 PM
jeep . that is all. lol
So instead of in his garage he is in the middle of the trail?

Trailjunkie
11-06-2013, 08:34 PM
yes you don't like the trail fix??

skyjacker
11-06-2013, 10:07 PM
Exactly they don't know dick shit and they rape ppl for shit service and poor work

FKN MRK
11-06-2013, 10:52 PM
Exactly they don't know dick shit and they rape ppl for shit service and poor work

:dontknow:... lol

Getting SOME things done in a shop isnt always a bad thing. Not all shops are gonna treat everyone bad all the time. I get some work done on my jeep once and awhile. But it usually involves fab work. Sometimes the new parts went in while the work was being done. Its stuff I havnt learned yet or isn't practical to do in my little garage. I didnt get treated poorly or get shit service or shit work. Yes it happens... But there are good shops with good peeps out there.

[cheers] To my buds who have treated me MORE then fairly in their fine establishments :D

Happypants
11-06-2013, 11:11 PM
It's hit n miss but there are sum good shops around, just gotta look around,

StinkFinger
11-06-2013, 11:30 PM
you mix that atf with some acitone and you have the best penitrating lubrican ever

Apathy
11-07-2013, 06:57 AM
you mix that atf with some acitone and you have the best penitrating lubrican ever

never used acitone, but a bit of solvent.

atf is fantastic.

I'll have to try the acitone trick

Tinker
11-07-2013, 08:56 AM
I remember reading somewhere on here about ATF and *blank* being used as best penetrating oil solution ever. I asked Kris and he remembered it too but neither of us could come up with the *blank* so....straight ATF it was lol.

This isn't and wasn't a poke at shops or the one that my truck.was at. I do feel cheated at the ease that it ended up coming apart, more of a triumphant achievement than anything else. The part I was upset about was that an automotive "technician", said it couldn't be done and more to the point the quote of "throw it away if it ever needs replacing". I am a wrencher, full on back yard mechanic. Rarely do I feel it nessecary to need to pay for auto repairs. This time I felt the job should go somewhere where a technician /mechanic whatever you wish to call them would fix my truck beyond what I was capable. And here I am now doing the exact job that I already paid somebody to fix. So not out bashing shops just a PSA on the wonders of ATF :)

procircuit
11-07-2013, 09:16 AM
Boobies2Boobies2Boobies2Boobies2i think you nailed it!Boobies2Boobies2Boobies2Boobies2

dirka dave
11-07-2013, 10:06 AM
Whoever was working on it before should give his head a shake.

There is nothing that can't be repaired.

With time and money that is.

atoyot
11-07-2013, 11:13 AM
ATF.......is awesome

Alcohol, Tobacco(the green kind) , Firearms.....[36]
next time i also gotta try mixin it with acitone[51] ....................

Chopstick
11-07-2013, 01:43 PM
Looks like a typical unit bearing an cv shaft? No one really never siezes anything but if u havent put that back together yet then never sieze your cv splines an all over the back of te unit bearing that goes back into your spindle but dont never sieze your hub nut!

Next time put atf on then apply alittle heat then put more on. Shouldnt have to wait 48hrs. Probably just a smoke or beer break

Trailjunkie
11-07-2013, 09:56 PM
This isn't and wasn't a poke at shops or the one that my truck.was at. I do feel cheated at the ease that it ended up coming apart, more of a triumphant achievement than anything else. The part I was upset about was that an automotive "technician", said it couldn't be done and more to the point the quote of "throw it away if it ever needs replacing". I am a wrencher, full on back yard mechanic. Rarely do I feel it nessecary to need to pay for auto repairs. This time I felt the job should go somewhere where a technician /mechanic whatever you wish to call them would fix my truck beyond what I was capable. And here I am now doing the exact job that I already paid somebody to fix. So not out bashing shops just a PSA on the wonders of ATF

good on yah . you are a capable wrench swinger man.exactly why i decided to do all my own work unless i felt overwhelmed. my diesel has made me feel like i should take it in then i found all the info i needed online to fix it on my own and i did. its hard to find a straight shooter in a shop that you trust so till you have to do it yourself. i learn something new almost every time.

Punk in Drublic
11-11-2013, 06:53 PM
yep acetone and atf and heat will break fucking anything loose, i think it was dirka that told me about it. i have looked like a god damn genius a few times at work now with it lol.

In The Zone
11-12-2013, 10:52 AM
Had to change mine once when it was stock...
2nd time I removed the front end...
Sheldon U are a genius.....;)