PDA

View Full Version : any toyota gurus in the Salmon Arm area?

ShuswapRedneck
10-10-2013, 04:39 PM
I just bought a 1990 pickup with a 3.0. It was running poor when I took it for a test drive, and figured it just needed a tune up. Well...I did the tune up (cap rotor plugs leads) and it still runs terrible. It's running extremely rich, it has no power at all, and it seems to have 2 dead cylinders, 3 and 6. I have no idea where to go from here, what I need to check next. What I do know is that the water pump and t-stat were replaced supposedly. Was the timing belt possibly installed incorrectly, and is there a short cut to get the upper timing cover off to check? Please help!

Animal
10-10-2013, 10:26 PM
Welcome to 3 slow hell. It could be many things. Try checking it for codes. Sounds like the injectors may be hooped. Valuum leaks can really mess with these engines. Get a manual and start with the simple.

dirka dave
10-10-2013, 10:45 PM
Do a compression test.

That's a good start.

ShuswapRedneck
10-11-2013, 06:56 PM
ya, I think I'm going to take it into work tomorrow and do a compression test and see if I have a cooked valve. Checked it for codes...no codes of course :( If I have compression, then I'm going to have a listen to the injectors, reset the TPS, and pull the upper timing cover off and see if the timing belt is still on the marks. GAH! I should have researched the 3.0 a little better before I bought it! I'm already looking for a 3.4 to swap in.

Animal
10-11-2013, 07:53 PM
3L can be a good engine. 3.4 has basically the same bottom end. Heads leave little to be desired. Good muel

dirka dave
10-12-2013, 10:47 AM
3L can be a good engine. 3.4 has basically the same bottom end. Heads leave little to be desired. Good muel

the bottom end in a 3.4 is way stronger than 3.0, they are designed for supercharging, big bearing girdles and they are bluprinted.

just sayin'

Animal
10-21-2013, 01:58 PM
The 3 has one main bearing cap that spans all journals. Blue printing is a fancy word for build to spec....

Animal
10-21-2013, 02:17 PM
Don't get me wrong im not sayin parts will interchange. They are basically the same like the 22r to the re. They are in the same engine family. Factory jap engines are built to very specific tolerances. Basically blue printed from factory. They all are. Blue printing is mainly a term used for donestic v8s where it was common for one piston to weigh alot more than the next.