PDA

View Full Version : Noobee

worktruck
09-29-2013, 06:42 PM
Hi folks. I'll just get this out of the way...I'm not really into wheeling, at least not anymore. I used to wheel and camp all the time in my late teens and early 20's, used to get stuck at Stave all the time, but it cost a helluva lot of money and life got in the way of all the fun stuff. A decade later and I work out of town so I'm hardly home and when I am home my time gets taken up by work around the house, catching up with family, and spending time with my girlfriend who is amazing for putting up with me being gone all the time. If I'm lucky, every once in a while I have a bit of spare time to do some wrenching, and that's what brings me here...my cousin used to check out this site a lot and we both met a lot of like minded guys from here back in the day. Since we both always had jacked up beaters that broke all the time it was a great way to get to know other dudes with jacked up beaters that broke all the time, and there were plenty of truck parts and good tech info to go around. I daily drive a 3/4 ton '97 Chev pickup that I've had for a while, I tried jacking it up by cranking the torsion bars and to make a long story short it eats tie rod ends and ball joints like candy. I'm sick of it and I'm not dropping it back down, so that leaves me with only one good option...solid axle swap! I never did one of my own, just helped out with others, so I'd love to hear from some guys who've done it what kind of bullshit I'm going to run into. I was hoping to find a cheap 3/4 roller that I could rob of everything I need but that looks like a pipe dream these days, can't find anything older than 90's anymore. It looks like I'll just have to piece it together over time and maybe buy one of those bracket kits on the internet. Since I'm not planning to wheel it (at least not like I used to), I figure I can get away with an 8 lug 10 bolt or D44, so I'm hoping to keep costs down that way. I already picked up a NP208 from a stick shift, supposedly that has the right spline count to bolt onto my 4L80E, though I didn't double check (had to pack up and get back to work). Wow this got long winded. I'll stop now :ballsmack

FKN MRK
09-29-2013, 09:56 PM
[cheers]Welcome...

Keep yer eyes on Tunas thread on his sas thats goin on over the next couple weekends :dontknow:Might get some info in there :D

vajayjay
09-30-2013, 05:57 AM
You talk too much :eek:

But like MRK said check the Tuna SAS thats happening right now

Honky
09-30-2013, 09:24 AM
Welcome to FIBC

SHITTY
09-30-2013, 10:38 AM
welcome[cheers]

Chopstick
10-01-2013, 12:17 PM
I didnt read it!

England
10-01-2013, 12:21 PM
Welcome !!! enjoy the nuthouse !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Apathy
10-01-2013, 02:45 PM
what ever you do, stay away from that England guy. He's trouble

worktruck
10-01-2013, 09:03 PM
Thanks for the welcome, folks! I'll have a look for this SAS thread

T 'n' A Barbie
10-01-2013, 11:08 PM
Welcome to the nut house. Have fun!!

Mandy

Fencepostxjay
10-01-2013, 11:14 PM
Welcome [cheers]

Casselman
10-02-2013, 12:22 AM
:welcome:

SAS's are fun, make sure you budget for more then you think your gonna spend :D im still paying for mine lol

worktruck
10-02-2013, 09:18 PM
I hear ya, I'm so tempted to hack job and just build my own brackets to save money but I've learned lessons about that in the past...still, it's like 5 or 6 hundy just for a bracket and shackle kit! That's crazy. Plus whatever I need to make it steer. Wish I had an old solid axle rig kicking around I could just pilfer everything from, cut the brackets off and weld it all back on.

big billy llh
10-02-2013, 10:08 PM
welcome