PDA

View Full Version : 08.5 steering upgrade

Toyquad
08-16-2013, 10:42 AM
anyone done this to their 03-07 dodge rams?

I got a tie rod end or two a little worn. Truck still drives good and tires wear evenly.

through re-search seen some people like it some not.

If you have it where did you get it from? mission dealer says its about $800.....
online some people claim to pay $350.

So who likes it, is it worth it, how much and where did you get it from

vajayjay
08-16-2013, 11:12 AM
On my 08 I brought it in for some warranty u-joints and it came out with the upgraded steering. It was a recall, maybe you can get lucky. Didn't notice a difference but it sure looked bigger.

Edit: that was a different platform altogether.

4skin
08-17-2013, 12:37 AM
Did it on my 95 B did it on his one ton to
Gets rid of the inverted y
makes it a solid tie rod so you don't toe in changeing
When you hit bumps or put a camper on
And it's way beefier

Nutbar
08-17-2013, 01:27 AM
As Brubacca said it will change your truck from inverted Y type to inverted T type steering and is a good upgrade for your truck specially since you need to replace part any way.
It makes more sense on a solid axle truck to run inverted T instead of inverted Y steering even more so if you are going to do a leveling kit. Inverted Y steering inherently changes your toe angle as the suspension cycles through a bump. This condition only gets worse as you lift the truck and increase the angle of the drag link. Inverted T will not do that and if correctly matched with the geometry of the trac bar it wont bump steer.

Toyquad
08-17-2013, 02:19 PM
How much and where did you get it from? Dealer? Lordco? Is it a kit or piece by piece?

Nutbar
08-17-2013, 10:18 PM
When I get back to the shop on monday I can price it out for ya Trev. I can see if Poly or PSC has some upgraded parts as well.[cheers]

4skin
08-18-2013, 12:09 AM
Yes mine also has the Polly performance track bar and control arms
Huge improvement in ride think B had done a progresive rate leveling spring in his gets rid of the coil spacer I still am running the spacer
I got the info from a website had all the moog part no listed
Think I searched dodge ram steering upgrade

Toyquad
08-18-2013, 10:33 AM
Thanks mikey.

I hope I don't need a new track bar, just put an adjustable one in . Went for an alignment and found the steering worn...........

Nutbar
08-18-2013, 01:08 PM
Won't bother pricing a trac bar then. You're good to go on that. And I was more thinking to see if Poly Performance has their TREs in production for your application. And check out prices for the steering box brace if you don't have one, it is definately a good idea on the heavy frt end on those things

Toyquad
08-18-2013, 07:39 PM
Thanks, truck has the steering box brace already.

4skin
08-18-2013, 10:14 PM
Personally I'm going to build a steering box brace for mine
The BD one and several others I have seen use a special nut on the pitman arm
That fits into a pillow block bearing
When I worked at the dealership seen 4 trucks with that style of brace
Snap the sector shaft off at the threads one resulted in the guy driving into the ditch when the pitman arm dropped off
There used to be one for jeeps that clamped around the body of the steering box
Where the sector shaft comes out
I'm shure nutbar knows the one I'm thinking of copying