PDA

View Full Version : I Should have worn a skirt.. Arrrg

Tunabomber
08-11-2013, 05:35 PM
Dropped the kyacks in the coquiltlam liver today at david st.

Was a little bummed it was raining with thunder and lightning but all that didnt matter after the 1st 5 min cuz i rolled and went for a swim.

Was a real eye opener for the skill required to navigate fast moving water.

Its not so much the speed of the water as the coq river is a kiddy pool compared to some. Its more about how fast u get going and all rocks just hiding under the surface that love to put u on a angle real quick.

You have only a split second to make your decision and half that to adjust.
Learned alot today thats for sure.

Got dumped 7 times in 2 kilometers.... Holy fuck considering i had never once had it happen before.

The last one was a doozie. Came down a slope and nose dived, submarine ing my kyack filling it with water. She then rolled upside down with me still in it and beat my legs and elbows pretty good.

My buddy up ahead saw my tims cup flow by and new i had a issue.

The pic here is of me a few min after.

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t83/mrtuna/20130811_111714_zpsf8cb07d8.jpg

If only i had a spray skirt like my buddy it probably would have saved me.

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t83/mrtuna/20130811_120838_zpsb819d947.jpg

From there on we paddled 10 k right into the fraser and docked under the portman.

Did see a big ass frog though.

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t83/mrtuna/20130811_120821_zps5ff6ac32.jpg

Still had fun and learned alot too. Like skirts are a good idea.

Was never really in a any major danger being that the river is very shallow but sure have a new respect for moving water and the people who do extreme kyacking... Nuts i tell ya nuts.

Toyquad
08-11-2013, 05:38 PM
Looks like fun dude.

4skin
08-11-2013, 05:53 PM
Did your joints get wet though??

Tunabomber
08-11-2013, 06:01 PM
Did your joints get wet though??

Nope thanks mr ziploc bag.

However my boom box is now in the sun and my i pod is sitting in a pot of i rice.

Half Slant
08-11-2013, 07:38 PM
I have never taken a kayak down the coquitlam, but those single person pool mattress float things work well when you are on your belly, face first down the river. Bailed maybe once, and made getting through the shallow parts super easy.. Did you go down past riverview hospital where all them nice white secluded sandy beaches are?

Murd0c
08-11-2013, 08:18 PM
iRice [15][15][15][15][15]

looks like a fun day even with the spills

TWOZEROFOUR
08-11-2013, 08:44 PM
I have wanted to try that, but have not for that exact reason.

Tunabomber
08-11-2013, 09:14 PM
I have never taken a kayak down the coquitlam, but those single person pool mattress float things work well when you are on your belly, face first down the river. Bailed maybe once, and made getting through the shallow parts super easy.. Did you go down past riverview hospital where all them nice white secluded sandy beaches are?

Hell ya i did... Real nice spots along colony farm and riverview

And air mattress better and convenient for beaches too

Tunabomber
08-11-2013, 09:28 PM
iRice [15][15][15][15][15]

looks like a fun day even with the spills

Yup..
Once your that wet who cares right?

I was just mad i didnt have tunes for the easy 10 k paddle to the dock

harvester_sorrow
08-11-2013, 09:40 PM
did you have to portage? went down a few weeks ago and there was falling trees you had to climb over in a few areas

Tunabomber
08-11-2013, 10:42 PM
For the most part we just hit em fast and jumped em but ya had to get out twice

Half Slant
08-11-2013, 11:22 PM
Hell ya i did... Real nice spots along colony farm and riverview

And air mattress better and convenient for beaches too

yeah it's beautiful down there... i definitely prefer the float down versus walk to those beaches past the junkie shantee town of stolen fences and tents and tarps[16]

Tunabomber
08-11-2013, 11:58 PM
The water is so nice and clean too, real clear the whole way but wtf is with all the sunken shopping carts lol.. And ya one bum had a nice beach front property going on with carved stairs and a nice tent.

C-Dog
08-12-2013, 12:13 AM
Nope thanks mr ziploc bag.

However my boom box is now in the sun and my i pod is sitting in a pot of i rice.

Fkn eh that's awesome totally wanna Kayak :D

Oh and they sell water proof Zip Loc bags at the pool store that u can have your phone and shit in and it won't get wet when submerged

Half Slant
08-12-2013, 08:34 AM
The water is so nice and clean too, real clear the whole way but wtf is with all the sunken shopping carts lol.. And ya one bum had a nice beach front property going on with carved stairs and a nice tent.

haha what a crafty bugger. back in the day, If something went missing, first place to check was the junkie village people, followed by under the train bridge by kingsway.
there's always been an over abundance of shopping carts along the river.. go up the day after a good rainfall and its white water rapids, fast flowing and definitely a think quick moment as you can get humg up on a shopping cart in seconds lol. I thought maybe someone was trying to start a new ultimate sport, ultimate water 'cartin :confused0006:

sarg
08-12-2013, 08:30 PM
I remember tube the river has a kid, lot of broken finger thou out the groups :)

BrokenToy
08-12-2013, 09:03 PM
mrs tuna finally comin to the realization that he needs a skirt [15][15]

atoyot
08-12-2013, 11:02 PM
id dingy that ..

Tunabomber
08-12-2013, 11:10 PM
Boat bad. Queen size air matress good.. Bring a pair of boobies are even better

thetinytrucker
08-13-2013, 11:20 AM
haha what a crafty bugger. back in the day, If something went missing, first place to check was the junkie village people, followed by under the train bridge by kingsway.
there's always been an over abundance of shopping carts along the river.. go up the day after a good rainfall and its white water rapids, fast flowing and definitely a think quick moment as you can get humg up on a shopping cart in seconds lol. I thought maybe someone was trying to start a new ultimate sport, ultimate water 'cartin :confused0006:

Challenge accepted [36] You in? ;)

Half Slant
08-15-2013, 03:31 PM
Challenge accepted [36] You in? ;)

Pffft oh you're on. What you didn't know before you challenged me is I got practice in this ... used to ride down the power line trails racing in red and yellow fisher price cars and shopping carts. Also, its pretty apparent shopping carts don't float very well.. if we had inflatable tires on that bad boy, now that would be some ultimate ultimate water cartin in my eyes lol