PDA

View Full Version : Toyota 2.4 diesel heating issue

Hellboy
07-26-2013, 01:47 PM
I'm looking into buying a 92 hilux surf. Got the 2.4 turbo efi diesel. It has a heating issue where when ur going up a hill it will overheat. Guy has receipts for work done at Japan auto in abbotsford or something along those lines. Thermostat, rad, clutch fan, and water pump are all new....

Here's my question as I don't really know Toyota diesels, what could it be? The overheating is the only issue so if I can get a good idea what it is and how hard/expensive it could be that'd be awesome...

Oh it's got a 3.0L head on it as well. Not sure if that could be part of the issue or not.

Paging anyone that might know what's up...

PS - it's a 92 hilux surf 2.4L with 230,000km. Right hand drive almost no rust and loaded, lots of options. I might be getting it for 2G or less I think it's a fair price but I gotta know about the heater...

Cheers

EIEIO
07-26-2013, 02:33 PM
Sounds like cracked heads is pretty common on those things. Not sure if the 3.0L head is compatible or not.

I would look into the 3L head being the issue, its a possibility it may even be cracked or a water jacket not lining up properly.

4skin
07-26-2013, 08:24 PM
Believe the 3.0
Head is a direct swap and even good ones overheat on hills
If you don't watch temp and keepyour foot in it
My 2.4 l heats up pretty quick on hills in the willys
Didn't when it was in the 2wd less weight and less
Tire to turn will run fine crawling and cruising along but temp climbs fast on a hill

Hellboy
07-26-2013, 11:13 PM
Ya this guy was saying it'll climb on hills and he pulls over to let it cool. In winter it's fine etc... I was thinking maybe some electric fans and hood spacers to dissipate some heat and a more accurate gauge and sending unit...

Or I might just not get it...

Decisions decisions...

Thanks for the input guys

4skin
07-27-2013, 12:16 AM
They are underpowered and parts are a bitch to get
And expensive and very few places that are knowledgable in working on them
I was trying to find a turbo injection pump for mine shop had one 600 bucks
For a core and they were sending them to Argentina or somewhere to be rebuilt
Was 1200 bucks plus 600 core charge

Hellboy
07-27-2013, 07:30 AM
Ya fuck that then... But if u want spare parts Bruce there's a 2.4 hilux surf in merritt for 2G running with what's stated above lol

I'm gonna walk away from it