PDA

View Full Version : Engine/Trans Dust Plate/Shim Thing

Half Slant
06-03-2013, 08:02 PM
So, somewhere along the way when I was installing Motor + Trans, I forgot to put that dust plate in that goes between the trans and engine. Speaking with some people, they said it should be fine without it. Talking to a couple other people, they said don't even try and start it without it as it's a shim to hold my starter in place and keep it from destroying the ring gear on the flywheel. Apparently if I destroy it, I need a whole new flywheel as well? ....I really don't want to pull them apart again if i don't have to.. :dontknow:

The shocker
06-04-2013, 11:27 AM
I've done the same for my engine swap. I found the plate after everything was back together.
I've started it up and drove it about 10 km.... seems OK. I hope the above is not true..
I've spent alot of time cranking as well. sounds fine....

yoda604
06-04-2013, 11:50 AM
I'm pretty sure you can get just a shim for your starter.goes in between the starter and the bellhousing

The shocker
06-04-2013, 01:27 PM
I guess ya could just cut out the starter section of that plate

mus-Tard
06-04-2013, 06:11 PM
yeah l would pull the tranny again and put it in place.
Auto or standard?

Half Slant
06-04-2013, 06:13 PM
yeah l would pull the tranny again and put it in place.
Auto or standard?

Standard of course.... I don't know how to drive an automatic... I seem to blow up auto transmissions:dontknow:

Half Slant
06-05-2013, 09:34 PM
I've done the same for my engine swap. I found the plate after everything was back together.
I've started it up and drove it about 10 km.... seems OK. I hope the above is not true..
I've spent alot of time cranking as well. sounds fine....

Yah, i did a little bit of reading on this, apparently its like a lottory when it comes to this plate/shim. Some seem to epically fail when it's not installed, others say that they have had no problems... I already had a problem trying to find a starter for it, the 6 i got from Lordco didn't fit - the new style has a flat edge and doesn't come with a new shim or mounting plate or nothing (and no even with the missing dust plate/shim the starter was still moving around) ... I ended up re-building the starter (first starter rebuild for this girl right here :party0010: ) and when i bolted that up, there wasn't any free play so i was hoping that would be ok....?

If i end up grenading the thing, everything is coming out and a v8 will just go in and i'll call it a day.

thecornbinderkid
06-05-2013, 11:02 PM
just unbolt the engine move it forward a couple inches and slip it in?

Half Slant
06-05-2013, 11:17 PM
just unbolt the engine move it forward a couple inches and slip it in?

....there's a little more to that than that... i broke two transmission mounting bolts somewhere along the line that needs to be drilled out if i plan on pulling it back. I'd rather not go to that extent right now :eek:

thecornbinderkid
06-05-2013, 11:20 PM
o ya that definitely changes things

Half Slant
06-05-2013, 11:50 PM
o ya that definitely changes things

yeah. Not too enthused about that repair... I guess one question to ask is if the plate/shim is there to keep the starter from moving around, if my starter isn't moving around at all, will it be ok. lol

mus-Tard
06-06-2013, 09:53 PM
with out it your throw out bearing will be that much closer to your pressure plate and may end up riding on it.

you can get a shim to move your flywheel out if you machine it. and from my experiences that shim can be close to the same thickness as that separation plate.

now that you have fresh practise with this vehicle, it should take you 1/3 the time it did to re and re the tranny.

78bronco
06-06-2013, 09:59 PM
just shim the starter and adjust your clutch free play to suit

Half Slant
06-06-2013, 10:21 PM
Ever since automotive 11, I've always been an epic fail at drilling/tapping broken bolts. I always end up making a bigger mess of the situation, so i tried and avoid it at all costs. lol. Stupid flat piece of metal making all the difference in the world. I've shaken my fist at it several times now. ugh.

mus-Tard
06-07-2013, 06:29 PM
yep. l have had to pull a 700r4 and transfer case back out because some ass hat put the flex plate on backwards

atoyot
06-07-2013, 07:15 PM
if this truck is ur baby n u wanna keep it....
id do it proper....
but i know nothin bout suzies

Half Slant
06-07-2013, 08:28 PM
if this truck is ur baby n u wanna keep it....
id do it proper....
but i know nothin bout suzies

Well it is my truck, and it's been nicknamed the Abortion Project by ZukiWorld hahaha. lol ... I won't know if i want to keep it until i get it running. It's been in progress since 2010 i believe. Well thats when my buddy blew the plugs out the top... He didn't pull the motor till a year later, and then lost time to re-build it back up when he had 2 other zuki projects and a toy project on the go. Now it's my nightmare. I do kinda love my nightmare, but can't be certain till i run it.