PDA

View Full Version : SJ410 Transfer Case Question..

Half Slant
05-04-2013, 09:18 AM
So cruisin craigslist, I came across this ad for a SJ410 Samurai Transfer case.. I'm not all that knowledgeable about this shenanigans.. The guy states that apparently the SJ410 tcase is lower geared and good for an additional park brake on ice and snow? Anyone know if the driveshafts would bolt up ? I tried that magical thing called google but couldn't really find the info I was looking for..? :dontknow:

thecornbinderkid
05-04-2013, 01:00 PM
I believe the sj t cases have the small flanges but you can swap them and a emergency brake on the tail shaft and about 12 percent low gear ratio in high and low range

Half Slant
05-04-2013, 01:32 PM
I did find a little information about it, someone mentioning that some SJ410s had solid driveshafts made from bar stock instead of tube, and the pattern was smaller than the SJ413.. What year roughly would I be looking for? The early 80s, or mid 80s? Also, apparently there are some tcases that came with smaller flanges, and others that came with bigger flanges.. Which one of those would i be looking for that would work? One does, and one doesnt, but no one states which one i would want... I know either way there will be some machining, drilling out flanges and what not, and depending on if it came with a park brake then there would also be machining to the drum...

beagle..t
05-04-2013, 05:27 PM
you could always try zukiworld there is a shat load of info there

westcoaster
05-04-2013, 06:59 PM
I think the one year everyone was looking for was 1984. Something about pulling that transfer case apart and swapping gears into a samurai to create a "rock lobster" transfer case (or something like that)

I think that is pretty much moot any more due to the aftermarket support the samurai had enjoyed.

Trailjunkie
05-04-2013, 07:35 PM
yep 84 is the year to have mine kicked ass

redwingfan_number19
05-04-2013, 09:40 PM
85 to 88.5 have the smaller samurai flanges, smaller 4 bolt pattern,
88.5 + have a larger flange, bolt pattern,
generally if yours is an 88 you can tell if its an 88.5+ or earlier 88 by your dash vents, round dash vents in earlier samurais, 88.5 had rectangular.
85 is considered an sj413 I believe, oddball year, narrower diffs featuring samurai sized thirds, but 3.90 gears, same transfer case as 86/87
84 and earlier to 82 maybe 81? was sj410, 4 speed, 1.0l, smaller flanges than samurai, small driveshafts, believe you are correct, small diameter, solid tube, narrower axels yet with smaller thirds, drum brakes, transfer case e-brake, narrower fender flares, vertical grills ( all metal I think),
79/80 would be LJ80, flat fenders, narrower yet, very smaller, centered diffs, 800 cc, 4 speed, I don't know much about these
There were also sj410k versions which were pickup versions of the 410,
lj81 ( pickup version of the lj80 )
and 85 had a pickup version I think.

Best site for information I found is http://bbs.zuwharrie.com/

Not sure, are you looking for a transfer case or thinking gearing?

Matt

Half Slant
05-06-2013, 07:14 PM
85 to 88.5 have the smaller samurai flanges, smaller 4 bolt pattern,
88.5 + have a larger flange, bolt pattern,
generally if yours is an 88 you can tell if its an 88.5+ or earlier 88 by your dash vents, round dash vents in earlier samurais, 88.5 had rectangular.
85 is considered an sj413 I believe, oddball year, narrower diffs featuring samurai sized thirds, but 3.90 gears, same transfer case as 86/87
84 and earlier to 82 maybe 81? was sj410, 4 speed, 1.0l, smaller flanges than samurai, small driveshafts, believe you are correct, small diameter, solid tube, narrower axels yet with smaller thirds, drum brakes, transfer case e-brake, narrower fender flares, vertical grills ( all metal I think),
79/80 would be LJ80, flat fenders, narrower yet, very smaller, centered diffs, 800 cc, 4 speed, I don't know much about these
There were also sj410k versions which were pickup versions of the 410,
lj81 ( pickup version of the lj80 )
and 85 had a pickup version I think.

Best site for information I found is http://bbs.zuwharrie.com/

Not sure, are you looking for a transfer case or thinking gearing?

Matt

My sami is an 86 with an 88.5 motor swap in the finishing....

At this point, my transfer case is fine. I'm looking for more gearing. I was already looking into the rocklobster tcase build, and I'm thinking that if im going to go to the extent of trying to fit a 410 tcase in, i might as well just build a rocklobster. It really isn't all that much more work from what I was reading. Less machining as well if I'm not mistaken.

thecornbinderkid
05-06-2013, 11:17 PM
I did the trailgear 6.5 to 1 was the best thing I ever did worked great with 35s and very easy install money well spent in my opinion
:dontknow:

redwingfan_number19
05-06-2013, 11:37 PM
Yep,

I had the 4.16:1,
then the 6.5:1,
both worked good, also gives high range reduction which is nice.
Make sure they're mounted in there good though, first you'll upgrade mounts, then twist the arms, then tear the drivers side mount right off the frame.

Half Slant
05-06-2013, 11:38 PM
I did the trailgear 6.5 to 1 was the best thing I ever did worked great with 35s and very easy install money well spent in my opinion
:dontknow:

are you still running 35s on stock axles?

What would be the difference between doing a rocklobster vs. the trailgear?

Half Slant
05-06-2013, 11:40 PM
Yep,

I had the 4.16:1,
then the 6.5:1,
both worked good, also gives high range reduction which is nice.
Make sure they're mounted in there good though, first you'll upgrade mounts, then twist the arms, then tear the drivers side mount right off the frame.

I've already upgraded the tcase mounts on it as the stock ones were barely holding on there...

I've definitely got to lower the tcase though to fix the severe driveshaft angles.. not best bro..

thecornbinderkid
05-06-2013, 11:47 PM
ran them till I sold it the only thing I broke were u joints and mounts till I solid mounted it I never locked the front though if I did I imagine it would kill birfs like crazy I wanted to do the trailgear axles but never had to

Half Slant
05-06-2013, 11:53 PM
I was looking at the trailgear axles, but the final decision is I'm not going to bother with building up sami axles, and if im going to build up a set of axles, they'll be toys. or narrowed 44

thecornbinderkid
05-06-2013, 11:56 PM
ya it would be cool to find a set out of a landcruiser with the offset rear

Half Slant
05-07-2013, 12:03 AM
Most definitely. Come to think of it, I think I may even know where to find a set... Alberta Bound Road Trip possibly...

I'm still on this notion to keep the build as cheap as possible, as it's already an abortion the way it is... Until i find that lucky small block heart to install into the bugger. But that's way in the future.

Back to this Tcase convo though, would you recommend one over the other? Are there any other tcases that would bolt right in that would give me the gears im wanting or any other simple frankensteining options i should know about?

EIEIO
05-13-2013, 01:02 PM
The 84 gears you will have to remove and get them cut to fit in the 86 case. Randy at Breeze Industries does this (Poco). Gives you about a 4:1 reduction. The 6.5 gears are new parts, not used. You have to do some minimal grinding in the case to get them to fit. You will have to upgrade your tcase mounts if your reducing it any lower than stock. The torque is to much for the little rubber mounts.

Half Slant
05-14-2013, 07:51 PM
The 84 gears you will have to remove and get them cut to fit in the 86 case. Randy at Breeze Industries does this (Poco). Gives you about a 4:1 reduction. The 6.5 gears are new parts, not used. You have to do some minimal grinding in the case to get them to fit. You will have to upgrade your tcase mounts if your reducing it any lower than stock. The torque is to much for the little rubber mounts.

Tcase mounts have already been upgraded to them fancy TG Aluminum bad boys! I totally didn't know that Breeze was in PoCo..