PDA

View Full Version : Our Jeep is possessed

Honky
04-25-2013, 09:44 AM
Really I think our 08 Jeep JK itís possessed. Driving along all of the warning bells and whistles go off, and the tach starts working intermittently. Then when itís shut off it wonít start. After researching the problem seems a lot of people have the same issue and the fix is the TIPM.

Ann was in Mission so I said to pull into Mission Chrysler. I told them itís a common problem and the TIPM needs to be replaced. They said they would diagnose the problem and yes it was the TIPM and wanted $150 for the diagnose and $460 for the TIPM plus labour to install.

I found a used TIPM for $150 and brought it to them but they are fucking USELESS!! They said they tried but didnít know how to ďflashĒ the computer to match the TIPM to the Jeep and pushed the jeep out of the shop. So off I go, took time off work to get BCAA to tow it to Abbotsford Chrysler. Wouldnít you know it the Jeep starts with no warning lights. I thought great itís working and drove it home. I took it to work this morning and again all the bells and lights went off and now it wonít start. So now I have a dead jeep at work and Iím trying to figure out my next step.

Abbotsford Chrysler said they replace the TIPM all the time so I think Iíll just have it towed there. There new TIPM is only $360

Iím ready to burn this stupid thing.

And take my adviceÖDO NOT DEAL WITH MISSION CHRYSLER

procircuit
04-25-2013, 09:46 AM
sacrificial burning... will it fit in your pit? we could probably do wings on the hood.

dirka dave
04-25-2013, 09:48 AM
Wow, so 4 beers and some moose was a good deal for a scan that told me the same thing. :D

Time to trade it in next time it starts. :confused0006:

yoda604
04-25-2013, 09:50 AM
My buddy had the exact same problem with his 07. Turned out to be a mouse had chewed a couple of his wires and they were grounding together. considering where you are most of the time, seems likely. Double check any wires you can see before you make that investment, also has you battery been tested or checked lately car batteries now a days just don't hold up like they used to.

Hey Ann
04-25-2013, 10:41 AM
It's a new battery we just bought a few months ago from costco

Honky
04-25-2013, 11:02 AM
Yeah the swaybar has been flashing for a couple of months now. What the tech said that if it gets corroded then it sends and feedback signal to the computer that can trigger the symptoms I’m having. Pretty fucked up if you ask me.

Fingers crossed it’s not a problem with the module as that is going to cost 2G

Honky
04-25-2013, 11:11 AM
I took this off the Jeep forum.....looks like I am in for a big bill...........

WARNING rubicon owners!! Your swaybar will get you!!
2007 jk 4door rubicon- We all know that the automatic swaybar disconnect wiring is pitiful, but this just takes the cake. I have repeatedly tried to waterproof the exposed wiring connection box that chrysler engineers dutifully placed in the worst possible spot, but after 4 years nature got around me. A bit of water seeped in and shorted the disconnect unit. I was driving down the highway in the rain!!! Result: first, dashboard lit up like a christmas tree, with guages going haywire. Then I made the mistake of actually slowing down and pulling over, shutting the engine off. And that was it. She wouldn't start and I needed a tow into the dealership. I was quoted $1800, yes, $1800 plus $150 for new harness. Apparently disconnect is not serviceable. I am 2000 miles over warranty and Chrysler says I am !%$ out of luck, they have had no record of issues with device.
What is going on here? I have been driving Jeeps (http://www.jk-forum.com/) for 20 odd years and have never experienced anything quite like this. An external device is so integrated into the jeeps electrical system that a bit of water shut her down. Now I have had plenty of breakdowns in the rough, blown universals or shafts and the like, but a stinking little electrical part that wreaks havoc to the point of complete shutdown? This whole business of "trail rated" is such a joke! Please be warned, this will happen to you, 2007 or newer rubi owner, so be prepared when it comes.

kamloopsyota
04-25-2013, 11:15 AM
this is why new vehicles are fucking retarded and I gave up becoming a mechanic. waaaaaay to many sensors. Think of all the fuck ups when OBD 3 comes out.

dirka dave
04-25-2013, 11:45 AM
Trail rated. [15] [15] [15]

B
04-25-2013, 11:47 AM
I took this off the Jeep forum.....looks like I am in for a big bill...........

WARNING rubicon owners!! Your swaybar will get you!!
2007 jk 4door rubicon- We all know that the automatic swaybar disconnect wiring is pitiful, but this just takes the cake. I have repeatedly tried to waterproof the exposed wiring connection box that chrysler engineers dutifully placed in the worst possible spot, but after 4 years nature got around me. A bit of water seeped in and shorted the disconnect unit. I was driving down the highway in the rain!!! Result: first, dashboard lit up like a christmas tree, with guages going haywire. Then I made the mistake of actually slowing down and pulling over, shutting the engine off. And that was it. She wouldn't start and I needed a tow into the dealership. I was quoted $1800, yes, $1800 plus $150 for new harness. Apparently disconnect is not serviceable. I am 2000 miles over warranty and Chrysler says I am !%$ out of luck, they have had no record of issues with device.
What is going on here? I have been driving Jeeps (http://www.jk-forum.com/) for 20 odd years and have never experienced anything quite like this. An external device is so integrated into the jeeps electrical system that a bit of water shut her down. Now I have had plenty of breakdowns in the rough, blown universals or shafts and the like, but a stinking little electrical part that wreaks havoc to the point of complete shutdown? This whole business of "trail rated" is such a joke! Please be warned, this will happen to you, 2007 or newer rubi owner, so be prepared when it comes.

Just buy a reg sway bar from garys for 100 bucks get some sway bar disconnects and next time the dealer is in the comp have them turn the light off they flex better with the sway bar undone than they do with the electic doodad anyways ...;)

why replace whats just gonna fuck up again :dontknow:

Honky
04-25-2013, 11:57 AM
Well the Jeep is dead sitting at work and I’m waitin for the tow truck to show up. I’ll ask the dealer if the system can be bypassed like that. From the sounds of it it’s all integrated

Apathy
04-25-2013, 12:11 PM
Well the Jeep is dead sitting at work and Iím waitin for the tow truck to show up. Iíll ask the dealer if the system can be bypassed like that. From the sounds of it itís all integrated

any computer tech worth his salt can delete the module from teh systm so teh computer is not looking for it.

Honky
04-25-2013, 01:03 PM
so the tow truck gets here and the dam thing fires up[27]

this jeep thing..it's starting to hurt when I pee

Honky
04-25-2013, 03:11 PM
So it turns out all the problem I'm having is the swaybar and it has to be replaced. So they phone me and the grand total to replace it is....

are you ready......

this is kinda funny.............

but not really.......................

$3700 including labour lol

not including tax

Honky
04-25-2013, 03:17 PM
So this is not an option. They said they couldn’t turn the swaybar light off. YES they know how to do it but Chrysler won’t let them. The best they can do is cut the wires going to the swaybar so the computer doesn’t act up.

They said they could install a stock sway bar for $700

I’m now on the hunt for an aftermarket swaybar

The total bill for labour is $120

Now to go back to Mission Chrysler and get my money back !! those asshats charged me and had no clue what they were doing and mis diagnosed the jeep.

Candy
04-25-2013, 03:25 PM
what sway bar do you have?

Honky
04-25-2013, 04:07 PM
Ok so I just picked up the jeep and the dealer was not truthful with the problem. They wanted to replace the entire swaybar assembly for the price I listed above. So when I asked to cut the wire to bypass this is what they cut and said that the and male ends were both corroded

I might be able to just find the connector at a wrecker and replace

Not sure but at least it's running

http://i993.photobucket.com/albums/af58/Funinbc_honky/Mobile%20Uploads/BD8C267D-A6F6-44E5-BE40-D0FDD78975E5-696-000000497E595E7B_zpsee857709.jpg

Honky
04-25-2013, 04:09 PM
what sway bar do you have?

This is what it looks like

http://i993.photobucket.com/albums/af58/Funinbc_honky/Mobile%20Uploads/0A15D36D-55C3-4769-BFC0-9AE3707D9244-696-0000004BF30DF1FF_zps1f8e7e8a.jpg

Chody
04-25-2013, 05:22 PM
this is why i hate technology lol

EIEIO
04-25-2013, 05:25 PM
ur gonna get the same problem kev if you dont get rid of it. Its a manufacturer flaw. And good luck on getting money back from the crooks, i will NEVER deal with that shitty service shop again, fuckin crooks.

Toyquad
04-25-2013, 06:33 PM
Moral of the story: dont buy a jeep.

redman
04-25-2013, 06:45 PM
Moral of the story: dont buy a jeep.

Or don't buy a new one.........

Happypants
04-25-2013, 07:49 PM
if that in the pic is the problem why not just clean it up and put it back in with some good clean dialectic grease? or is it too late and it has shorted something else out, hence causing the problem?

B
04-25-2013, 08:22 PM
the problem is its a computer controlled electric part that sits down low on the vehicle with not sufficient seal or protection from the elements for the people that actually use there trucks ...

just put a normal one on and go from there ... no big deal have done this already many times over kev

dirka dave
04-26-2013, 06:09 AM
Stoopid electrical gremlims !!

barracuda
04-26-2013, 08:14 AM
:rolleyes: Can anyone guess the common denominator in Honky's Jeep/Boat/ATV/Snowblower/dishwasher,/anything

not working properly is :dontknow:

Honky
04-26-2013, 08:16 AM
Good advise B and that will be the plan. What do you put in a stock one with disconnect or something a little fancier

Honky
04-26-2013, 08:19 AM
HAHA your not wrong Cuda but everything is fixed and with the jeep it just has to be updated

But yeah use, break , fix repeat

UU
04-26-2013, 08:20 AM
sorry about yer bad luck, but

real 4X4's are built, not bought ;)

barracuda
04-26-2013, 08:27 AM
your cursed , the second it gets a new owner no matter how much they abuse it it will always keep running.

The Curse Of Kevin . lol

kamloopsyota
04-26-2013, 09:26 AM
sorry about yer bad luck, but

real 4X4's are built, not bought ;)

[36][36][36]:party0010:

Honky
04-26-2013, 09:36 AM
VERY true but this is more of a Car for Ann to drive with a plan to build it up in the future.

It's nice to have a stock jeep that has the ability to head to area 51 and places like that with zero capability issue

dirka dave
04-26-2013, 09:39 AM
4 runner.

:D

Honky
04-26-2013, 09:45 AM
sorry I'm not gay enough to drive a Toyota

B
04-26-2013, 10:31 AM
Good advise B and that will be the plan. What do you put in a stock one with disconnect or something a little fancier

for the amount you will actually disconnect it jks makes a nice disconnect set ..

http://jksmfg.com/c-381022-shop-by-vehicle-wrangler-jk-swaybar-swaybar-disconnects.html

grease able so they stay quiet .. quality units typically [cheers]

Chopstick
04-26-2013, 11:07 AM
Im not allowed in mission chrysler anymore!

UU
04-26-2013, 11:19 AM
4 runner.

:D
wasnt yours off the road (not offroad but as in 'unable to perform') for over a year

EIEIO
04-26-2013, 11:19 AM
for the amount you will actually disconnect it jks makes a nice disconnect set ..

http://jksmfg.com/c-381022-shop-by-vehicle-wrangler-jk-swaybar-swaybar-disconnects.html

grease able so they stay quiet .. quality units typically [cheers]

That looks like a much better price than the bend over and rape that he was gonna get!

Tunabomber
04-26-2013, 01:09 PM
You could sell it and buy a whole fleet of cherrokees

Happypants
04-26-2013, 02:36 PM
I'll Goto Gary's n swipe a sway bar, and put it in for nothing lol

Hey Ann
04-26-2013, 02:59 PM
sorry I'm not gay enough to drive a ToyotaLOL neither am I! :p

procircuit
04-26-2013, 03:00 PM
I'll Goto Gary's n swipe a sway bar, and put it in for nothing lol

oh fuck, here we go[16]

oh yeah

Happypants
04-26-2013, 03:26 PM
oh fuck, here we go[16]

oh yeah

Shut it ginger boy lol :D

mus-Tard
04-26-2013, 06:09 PM
Maple Ridge Chrysler stole my family's Christmas.

just sayin.

abec
04-26-2013, 09:03 PM
If its just the connector ive takin a sandblaster to a few corroded boat harnesses befor and had sucess

atoyot
04-26-2013, 11:51 PM
what the fuck is a sway bar?:D u dont want sway:dontknow:
sway is in:party0010:

4skin
04-27-2013, 12:35 AM
what the fuck is a sway bar?:D u dont want sway:dontknow:
sway is in:party0010:

Well hey Ann has been known to be sway Ann at times

D-Ass
04-27-2013, 01:12 AM
listen to B kev we have done it many times !!! regular non mototr jk sway bar and jks dicos and your good to go! the light stays on in your dash but what ever!

BC_4RUNNER
04-27-2013, 08:31 AM
sorry I'm not smart enough to drive a Toyota, I prefer to waste time and money on Chrysler/mopar products

There fixed it for you..............:dontknow:

RIFF RAFF
04-30-2013, 07:38 AM
this happened to mine to. and dodge did not believe me. so then i started taking pics of the dash while i was driving down the road. then i would have to take it to dodge, they would plug it in and say they could not find anything and has never heard of this problem before. i was also at 90 thousand KM. Im sure they were just trying to push me past 100.
twice i even had reece come and jump start it. reece gave me shit for leaving the lights on and i said i never did.(he didn't believe me, maybe now he will) and when i think of it the lights did go off on the dash before i turned it off. Sometimes i would have to turn the truck off to get all the settings back to normal. I'm kinda glad you posted this cause now i no what it was all about.
i know how anne feels when your driving down the highway and it starts shaking and all the lights are going off like crazy.

i traded it in for a toyota :)

Honky
04-30-2013, 09:22 AM
Funny how they say they never hear of this yet so many people have had the same problem. Same with the excessive amounts of oil it burns through. about a Liter of oil every fill. It seem so many people have these problems yet they treat it as if it was the first time they have ever heard it

bcmaxx
04-30-2013, 10:06 AM
chrysler and dodge dealers are the worst!!! "dodge ram death wobble?? we have never heard of that!"

RIFF RAFF
04-30-2013, 11:28 AM
Funny how they say they never hear of this yet so many people have had the same problem. Same with the excessive amounts of oil it burns through. about a Liter of oil every fill. It seem so many people have these problems yet they treat it as if it was the first time they have ever heard it

i was having that problem to. they need to replace something. i will ask reece what it is when he get home. and after they replace that, if it is still burning it means they need to replace the motor. mine was at motor replacement thats why we got rid of it. again they were trying to push us passed warranty.

RIFF RAFF
04-30-2013, 11:32 AM
but on a positive note, as much as i love my toy there are things i miss. like the solid front axle, and the turning radius. it turned nice and sharp. and the back hatch when loading groceries. it was nice to stay dry under it in the rain :D

they had to re align the piston rings. thats why it was going through so much oil.

Honky
04-30-2013, 12:00 PM
We are going to get rid of it. Too many problems. Strangely they might be coming out with a diesel model and might consider that

atoyot
04-30-2013, 12:17 PM
finally came to my sences We are going to get rid of it. Too many Jeep related problems. somethin somethin diesel

and i think thats what kev was tryin to say....:D

Honky
04-30-2013, 12:30 PM
lol something like that

85chevy
04-30-2013, 07:59 PM
My inlaws 2004 Dodge 3500 had a clunk and my father inlaw mentioned it a bunch of times as soon as the warrenty was up Oh look what we found.... And there was no record of him asking them to look at it.... funny.

procircuit
05-01-2013, 10:21 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHJWztEdAS4

barracuda
05-01-2013, 08:39 PM
We are going to get rid of it. Too many problems. Strangely they might be coming out with a diesel model and might consider that

Intercooled T diesel is much better in these sorts of vehicles. The rest of the world has them everywhere not sure why they havn't released it in NA yet .

great fuel economy and plenty of useable power

4skin
12-17-2016, 04:05 PM
Irony is this was replaced by a Toyota lol
And it's the only one honkys not managed to break lol

I'm not here
12-18-2016, 02:01 PM
2011 was the best year for the 3.8's, I have 50,000 kms on mine with 20,000kms after I supercharged it and no issues with any of the computer shit, I even turned off the sway bar light with the Diablo tuner after going to Curries many moons ago.
2012 was a shit year, 13 was better, 14 even better, 15+ is stellar, but the computers can't be cracked with a tuner unless you send out the PCM to a tuner if you do a turbo or supercharger.