PDA

View Full Version : Can-am ATV

Honky
04-16-2013, 02:35 PM
Anyone have a 800 or 1000?

after beating it up what is your thoughts on the quad? Likes- dislikes

The front end does not have a locker but some kind of posi-lock how does this handle on the harder trails?

Is 1000 just too much power?:D

My thought process is hard challenging trails rather than open country riding

Jeepnut
04-16-2013, 03:46 PM
GO BIG OR GO HOME................

The King Machine
04-16-2013, 03:52 PM
Anyone have a 800 or 1000?

after beating it up what is your thoughts on the quad? Likes- dislikes

The front end does not have a locker but some kind of posi-lock how does this handle on the harder trails?

Is 1000 just too much power?:D

My thought process is hard challenging trails rather than open country riding

Not the toughest quad on the market. Recomended frame modifications out of the box. 2012+ 1000's suffer from cracking at the power steering mount. Some fail at very low hours. 800's have the first gen frame which need to have supports put in place to make the bike ridged. Not doing so may result in frame write off on the first ride. Shitty auto locking front diff. Over exposed rear axles, current guards trap dirt and sand. Oh and they throw in a free warn winch 3000lbs.......but it is not the same model winch you buy in the stores, it's a cheap mass production model. (No water seals and plastic housing)

Good things- class leading power and comfort. User friendly, even the newest quad rider can ride a Can Am. 3 year warrenty.

It is my exerpience they don't hold up to the punishment the same as the Jap bikes out of the box. But with some modifications they can become pretty solid bikes.

Jeepnut
04-16-2013, 03:57 PM
:confused0006: ....think ill take mine back then

epic3
04-16-2013, 04:16 PM
hard challenging trails you dont want a huge quad.

Honky
04-16-2013, 04:20 PM
Funny I talked to the dealer and this scares me a bit. He said “we have NEVER warrantied a quad for a frame issue because it was defective.” He went on to say it was always the riders fault that the frame broke

The King Machine
04-16-2013, 04:24 PM
:confused0006: ....think ill take mine back then

Not sure you need to do that..... make sure your educated on the weak points. Every bike has them, Can ams just need to be fixed before you ride them hard. I've had good friends wreck frames on them not long after they bought them. On average they cost $2000-$3000 more than the next bike. So needless to say they were pretty sour when they started to finds cracks and dents in the frame. All other brands use tube frames like a roll cage, Can Am had to engineer a new style so they could fit those big v twins and keed the center of gravity low. Thats why Kawi's have a rep. for being top heavy.

The King Machine
04-16-2013, 04:33 PM
Funny I talked to the dealer and this scares me a bit. He said “we have NEVER warrantied a quad for a frame issue because it was defective.” He went on to say it was always the riders fault that the frame broke

You see thats crap. I don't ride my bike any harder than my friends do....we ride the same trails. The rider is a huge part of it of course. I watched my friend write his quad off riding up a creek bed. He was loaded with camping gear. One of his tires slipped off a large rock the quad went down onto a submerged rock and caved his frame in right at the mid section of the bike . That was all it took. I've also seen them twist from rolling over and landing on uneven terrian. The front diff is a big one for me, when I want locked I want locked not when the diff decides it needs it.

For the most part these can be avoided by making the proper fixes before you ride them

Honky
04-16-2013, 04:49 PM
well I think Can-am is loosing me already. I don't want to "fix" a brand new quad before I can ride it....just doesn't seem right

Happypants
04-16-2013, 06:34 PM

they prolly have that issue down pat on whos at fault with what when it comes to frame problems, robo had a can am, or has a can am, and its toast, frames broken all over, starting/charging problems, I would stick with the Yamaha personally and when I buy myself a quad ill be purchasing a Yamaha, rod a lot of grizzlys and never really heard much from my friends about big issues with them, honestly kev, your the only one who I have heard of having issues with your quad and its the overheating issue, not frame issues so,:dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow:

Little Samurai
04-17-2013, 10:08 PM
I bought a 650 Outlander Max and it is heavy, 800+lbs with fluids. Didnt go with the 800 because it just gets there quicker, not better. The 2006 models had frame issues, a dealer fix was available to help with this issue. I think in 2008 models this became a standard dealer add on as they recognized the frame issues. I got a 2013 model which has a new frame design all together. Hopefully no problems. Only put about 5 hours on it already, mix of dirt/gravel backroads, snow, mud and a rip down a paved backroad. I wasnt that impressed with the power at first but it seems to be waking up as the break in goes. Had it up to 100km/hr on pavement in a pretty short distance today. They have also located the CVT breather and air intake to a higher point on the 2013's (near the speedo now). Other than the frames Can Ams may have more electrical issues than some of the other makes but hey, I wanted a 2up to take the daughter out once in a while and Polaris didn't impress me.

Little Samurai
04-17-2013, 10:15 PM
We all know that ATV's all have their weaknesses and I would say that if they've resolved their frame issues they are a hell of a nice machine to ride. Handle the bumps great and with a low center of gravity I've been impressed in off camber situations. I almost forgot, I would prefer a selectable locker in the front but they have also reduced the amount of wheel spin it takes to lock up the front in the 2013's. I can't wait to get past the break in and then take it for some more serious riding.[36]

atoyot
04-17-2013, 11:08 PM
i love my Honda bigred trikes............

jus sayin.......

Trailjunkie
04-17-2013, 11:55 PM
there yellow[35]

that is all

kootenaycat
04-18-2013, 10:59 PM
I can't wait to get past the break in and then take it for some more serious riding.[36]

Break in, what's that? :D

IMO, every quad needs a good set of skids on it before taking it in the bush. Full Ricochets on both my quads and they've taken a beating, a new CanAm with good skids shouldn't have any frame issues unless you're getting air like it's a dirtbike.

Kevin, tell the dealer you want to demo the 800 and 1000 before saying no, lots of guys swear by them. If the local CanAm dealer would have given me a fair trade in 2 years ago on the Polaris I'd be riding an 800.

Rufflehouse
07-31-2013, 09:27 PM
Just go try one and decide for yourself and you will be the judge. The power of the canam big v twin is addicting! Just do the frame mod which is very easy to do and put a good set of skids on it and you will be able to ride as hard as any of the other makes.I ride a poo poo, griz 700 and a can am 800 each of them has a weakness just depends on what you want out of the machine.Like I said go test ride![36]Enjoy the ride whatever you decide

Sultan Steve
07-31-2013, 09:49 PM
Kevin, I out weigh you by about 150 lbs and a Honda 500 Foreman is more than enough quad.

800 or 1000 any brand is ridiculous and unnecessary

Just my thoughts but Honda makes a SOLID quad too we kick the crap out of it.

Honky
08-01-2013, 09:02 AM
Yeah I’ve come to the conclusion that I don’t need any more power than the 700 Griz can provide. I mostly ride tight technical trails and a bigger quad with stupid power doesn’t make sense.

If I was an open road explorer I would be all over the Can-am 1000

Bent Black
08-01-2013, 01:02 PM
I've got a 08 can am 800 renagade no problems yet other than cv boots and a broken sway bar link. Frame and wiring have never been an issue. It's funny watching my friends on yamahas and Suzuki king quads sit and watch me hill clime in snow. This thing spanks em! Just ride one once. ![cheers]

mus-Tard
08-01-2013, 09:34 PM
a friend of mine has a side by side that was hit by a dirt bike in the front right tire and fucked the whole frame

Trailjunkie
08-01-2013, 09:46 PM
tinker proved that you can peel all the plastic shit off a can am in one run. but it ran fine and got him where we were so ...lol

Cookie
08-06-2013, 05:42 PM
ive had my 500 for 5 yrs with only a couple part replacements so far. shocks thats it. oh and now a cv boot. its been a great bike and ive beat the shit out of it every ride. its comfy as fuck ( just look at the all the pics of me sleeping on it) for a 500 its got pepper. my next one will be a grizz. jus want the best of both worlds