PDA

View Full Version : tail light problem round 2

Stu_Dawg
04-06-2013, 08:31 AM
Hey everyone. I just finished the bed for my 84 short box I bought LED's to use for the tail lights. I have the running and signal lights working but as soon as I hook up brakes the light turns on. It was all working just fine with regular bulbs but now with LED they dont work. No fuses are blown so I dont know what to check next. When I put regular bulbs back onto the system I get the same result.

thank you

crimsen
04-06-2013, 08:37 AM
are you using factory connectors or did you change / spice anything?

saying you get the lights to come on when you now put the LED or the old bulbs back in says you likely had to change wiring or do something and did it wrong. grab a volt meter and start seeing wtf is up. i would suspect a bad ground and the new path it is taking is having to back feed through the system.

Stu_Dawg
04-06-2013, 09:50 AM
I am using the plug in harness that came with the LED's and that is it. Hard wired into the wires coming from the cab.

Griswold
04-06-2013, 09:54 AM
I am using the plug in harness that came with the LED's and that is it. Hard wired into the wires coming from the cab.
I'd say get your meter and check the wireing of the harness that came with the leds, I've had issues like that once or twice, faulty workmanship

Toyquad
04-06-2013, 10:35 AM
if it was working fine before you worked on it, but now it doesnt, then it was something you did to it. re check your work

Stu_Dawg
04-06-2013, 11:21 AM
I took everything back to where i started from. The old bulbs are back on the system and still have the same problem. there is nothing different now from when i went to plug led's in.

4skin
04-06-2013, 12:18 PM
So the led tail lites were you trying to run just a single tail lite
Or we're you running two on each side
Remember toyotas use a separate turn and brake light bulbs
You might be grounding the flasher through the brake light wiring
Lighting the tail lites if you hooked it up to one
hard to say not really knowing exactly what you did

Stu_Dawg
04-06-2013, 12:30 PM
the leds are stop tail turn. I was trying to wire them as a single stop and the other one was a running light turn combo(i got 4 lights to use) so at the moment one light is hooked up to be running light and turn signal, those work. then I have my reverse light wire and brake wire left over and when I try hooking up the brake as soon as the ground wire from the light gos to ground wire from cab it lights up no matter what combo I can think of it does the same thing. Driving me nuts! its pretty much the last step before I can start using her as a DD.

4skin
04-06-2013, 02:01 PM
The brake light switch under the dash isn't stuck on by chance is it??
Turn signals don't have power when ign is off
But the brake lites and four way flashers do
Check them try lifting up on brake pedal lightly see if that turns them out
Or unplug switch
Takes so little power to light the led wonder if the fuel gage circuit could light them but again shouldn't have power to that circuit with. Key off
You could pull fuses till they go out would at least show you circuit to investigate further

crimsen
04-06-2013, 05:40 PM
The brake light switch under the dash isn't stuck on by chance is it??
Turn signals don't have power when ign is off
But the brake lites and four way flashers do
Check them try lifting up on brake pedal lightly see if that turns them out
Or unplug switch
Takes so little power to light the led wonder if the fuel gage circuit could light them but again shouldn't have power to that circuit with. Key off
You could pull fuses till they go out would at least show you circuit to investigate further

this will not be it since it apparently is happening with both the incandescent bulbs and the LED. see quote below

I took everything back to where i started from. The old bulbs are back on the system and still have the same problem. there is nothing different now from when i went to plug led's in.

you say your back to where you are when you started. let me just try to understand the timeline of exactly what happened.

1) everything worked but box was rusty
2) lights were removed from old box and old box was removed
3) new box was installed
4) you wanted to use LED lights so you cut up working wiring to wire in LED lights.
5) LED lights not operating as the previous lights were
6) removed LED lights and wired back old lights, splicing the SAME WIRES THAT WERE TOGETHER, BACK TOGETHER
7) lights still not working and operating the same as the LED were.

is this 100% accurate and entirely what has happened ? no other work, testing, or anything has been done?

just to confirm, this required cutting off the factory connectors to wire in the LED connectors, correct?

atoyot
04-06-2013, 06:07 PM
wonderin same as above...

4skin
04-06-2013, 09:06 PM
But he has power lighting up the lights why I said is brake light switch stuck on
Brake light is the only power to rear factory harness that has a constant non switched power other than the brake light switch
A bad ground won't turn a light on without power to light

Happypants
04-07-2013, 11:31 AM
Start at the brake light switch and go from there, we had similar issue on the cj, turns out it was that stupid brake switch crapped out,

atoyot
04-07-2013, 12:02 PM
i read a lil more closely and i think

.fluxcapacitor......

4skin
04-07-2013, 12:38 PM
i read a lil more closely and i think

.rustcapacitor......

It is a toyota

Stu_Dawg
04-07-2013, 05:23 PM
thanks for the suggestions, ill get out and check on it tomorrow. I drank way too much last night and today is a complete write off haha. I will start with the fluxcapacitor first lol

Stu_Dawg
04-07-2013, 05:52 PM
this will not be it since it apparently is happening with both the incandescent bulbs and the LED. see quote below

you say your back to where you are when you started. let me just try to understand the timeline of exactly what happened.

1) everything worked but box was rusty
2) lights were removed from old box and old box was removed
3) new box was installed
4) you wanted to use LED lights so you cut up working wiring to wire in LED lights.
5) LED lights not operating as the previous lights were
6) removed LED lights and wired back old lights, splicing the SAME WIRES THAT WERE TOGETHER, BACK TOGETHER
7) lights still not working and operating the same as the LED were.

is this 100% accurate and entirely what has happened ? no other work, testing, or anything has been done?

just to confirm, this required cutting off the factory connectors to wire in the LED connectors, correct?

There was no box on the truck when I bought it. It had a WOOD deck of 4x4 and 2x6. The guy said the brake lights didnt work so I tore it all apart. Found out he didnt even have them hooked up. I wired it up and got the lights working again. Aftera tearing the deck apart I then built a new one with steel. then started wiring the LED's and here I am.

Jayota
04-11-2013, 02:25 PM
What voltage to ground do you have on the brake light switched wire? ( you say it's constant correct?)