PDA

View Full Version : sidekick info

harvester_sorrow
11-28-2012, 10:43 PM
looking at getting a sidekick/tracker/sunrunner. what do i need to know about these things? looking at 89-98, any better years out of those? any common problems? do the auto's hold up or should i stick to maunal transmission?
Rice

B
11-28-2012, 11:18 PM
dont know about the autos but the standards are way more fun .... just dont get a rusty one there are lots of em the crossmeber in front of the gas tank likes to rot threw and fall off same with the door sills they like to fall off as well

bigorange440
11-28-2012, 11:19 PM
try to get a 16 valve motor. and go with the stick way better. and try to go with a hard top. watch for rust. and cracks in the frame right under drivers feet where it bends down

bigrig81
11-29-2012, 10:25 AM
Do NOT think that the 1.8L are the same beast. they are entirely different and almost nothing is interchangeable. The 1.8's are based on the early overseas vitaras and they only made them for 2 years so the parts are more expensive... way more expensive..... and yes, I made that mistake which is why I know haha

definitely need a 16valve 1.6L, the 8 valves aren't terrible, but the 16s are way better. head gaskets are common and there's a few varieties of the 16v.... did a head gasket on apefrills and it was hard to find the exact gasket. Found it pretty easy to work on tho.

just my $0.02

cheers

harvester_sorrow
11-29-2012, 10:51 PM
some good info so far, thanksh

EIEIO
11-30-2012, 09:27 AM
Dont get the I believe 99 and up versions either. They have rack and pinion. Basically an awd car.

The good thing about the 8v Sidekick/Trackers is that the parts are extremely cheap and the motor is very easy to work on. Get it in 5speed (Auto's are hit and miss from what I have heard).

harvester_sorrow
12-01-2012, 10:56 PM
found one for her. 1990 tin top with a rebuilt auto. sound be decent for a daily driver

ray
12-05-2012, 01:42 AM
Autos are gutless 5 spd great rust rear cross member with four link mounts axle can pop right off centre if rust is bad floors and rear frame blocks bad for rust service front diff if u dont it go boom quick cold air kit n small sxhaust makes a world of diffrence 2 " spacers 4 door coils 3.5" lift 31" tires np 32" with trimming
Glove boxes brake easy squrrielly in winter very squrielly stock exhuast systems fall apart i always had problems with my header coming loose other then that there ok there awsome if u build them with sas and v6 another good option to help with power is a msd box those 3 things and slight lift good tires u will be thouroughly impressed as to what u can do its almost as good as sn open quad at that point (diff) benefit is heat !