PDA

View Full Version : 97 expedition 4x4 5.4 xlt , over heated several times

jnyblazer
11-25-2012, 07:22 PM
thanks to a the little stick that couldgo fuck yourself

i changed out the bottom rad hose today with the help of an old friend, also replaced the power steering line, got everything working, was looking good drove away and the truck has a weird shutter to it off the line and then all of a sudden it will go just fine, if your easy on the throttle all the way through, so we are thinking head gasket all the way, but not sold yet, is there any chance one of the coils have cooked but still kinda working being a independent coil system? or anything else i am not remembering? we ran the code reader and it had the code for cylinder heat emerg shut down, (and it did) pluse a 02 lean code as well, we figure it was running hot and started to lean out. anyone got anything to add? oh and check the pick of the minor holes none of us could see,lol but it went right through the two water oil cooler lines, and bumped into the power steering on its way to knocking the oil lines into the power steering pulley so it was an 8th away......and whats with this cluster fuck hose ford has, all these lines all in view under the truck, if anyone has one and is off road it would be one skid plate i would make right away...lol

In The Zone
11-25-2012, 08:33 PM
The shudder could be fouled plugs the cht temp sensor will instruct the computer to shut down 4 cylinders and run them as cooling tubes. Basically become air pumps..Ford logic? Shuts down 4 injectors for those cylinders.. Only when a overheat is present..for a duration..
could be the trans fluid got to warm?

I have found that this causes the plugs to foul....
My hoses are protected. with a plate as well as the oil filter i moved to a safer location.

jnyblazer
11-25-2012, 09:02 PM
the trans will run smooth through the same rpm range under curtain throttle use, it did come to mind that there were cylinders crapping out on me tho.....how would you check?
and i ont think the trans would have got hot, we had to shut it down, tow then drive,tow,drive, so no chance for it to get crazy...

and anyone know how to get brokentoy on here, he was with me and i remember it doing this early on,it was shuddering.....it does not feel like it the head gasket,no mega steam or anything......blaaaaa

jnyblazer
11-28-2012, 04:35 PM
so when we fixed the hoses, we cleared all the codes, and drove away with the shudder, i just had a code pop up and i have a misfire on #7 cylinder, so thinking, swap coils with another cylinder see if the cylinder number changes, that will tell me if the coil is bad if it dosent its the plug or head gasket......is there anything else?

In The Zone
11-28-2012, 07:57 PM
you would know if the head gasket as bad.. most likley bad plug or moisture in the boot. miss fire is a common thing with the c.o.p if not sealed with die-electric grease. check connectors for debris or moisture.

jnyblazer
11-28-2012, 09:48 PM
you would know if the head gasket as bad.. most likley bad plug or moisture in the boot. miss fire is a common thing with the c.o.p if not sealed with die-electric grease. check connectors for debris or moisture.

thanks bro[cheers]