PDA

View Full Version : 231D t-case hard to shift.

godtool
11-24-2012, 06:12 PM
A friend of mine took his 2001 Dodge Ram pick-up to a garage in town to try to find out why its 231D t-case is hard to shift from 2wd to 4H or 4L. Everything looks fine and linkage appeared to not bind. Truck sat for 4-5 yrs so mechanic thinks problem is in t-case. My friend is going to drain the t-case a bit to add a liter of this lucas transmission stuff that helps to stop leaks and heal hard shifting. Any other ideas? I told him I could help him drop out t-case. I was wondering is there enough room to pull t-case back and drop it without removing the cross member that the torsion bars attach to? I've done t-cases on older trucks but not the ones with torsion bars.

4skin
11-24-2012, 11:50 PM
Got to cut crossmember out and weld it back in
If you flip it around when you weld it back in you will get 2 inches of lift
Because the keys are turned up
Sawzall works the best less cleanup than a torch

godtool
11-26-2012, 09:24 PM
Ok that sounds kinda tricky. Any idea why tcase hard to shift.

hrd4mud
12-19-2012, 11:28 AM
if its an 01 its a solid axle front with coil springs not torsion bars just pulls out super easy i did one on my 01. If its an 02 then no idea, but having to cut it from the frame sounds like detroit lol.

my 01 i did a lot of research its rated for light duty use a bigger chain and they call it hd but its still full of plastic shift forks etc. Mine fell apart inside because the rear slip yoke theres just a c clip on the tail shaft which popped off as the axle went up and down it pushed the tailshaft in and busted the plastic shift forks apparently very common on the 231 and they sell a kit that prevents it on your new one.

godtool
01-11-2013, 11:52 AM
Turned out changing the tcase oil and an additive to help with sticking parts and a good run helped it shift way better :)