View Full Version : Dog Advice

10-12-2012, 09:09 PM
So my family has an 11 month old Golden Retriever and I'm wanting to take it duck and grouse hunting when he's older... to retrieve the birds for my friends and I. He's already been introduced to dead ducks and grouse and he loves them! I realize the first step is for him to get used to gunshots. What's the best way to go about this? Just go along with my buddies and let him hear the sound of gunshots until he's okay with it or...? What age should I start? Any suggestions would be great!

10-12-2012, 09:23 PM
my rotti was scared shitless the fist day of shooting,by the third time out he doesnt even flinch,just takes a litle time.i sugest u tie him up the first few times,it took me 3hrs to find my mutt the 1st time

10-12-2012, 10:12 PM
Oh I'll definitely be holding him! He loves birds so much he'll take off for it without thinking... and won't come back.

I'm thinking he'll ease into okay too. Even loud thunder doesn't seem to bother him at all... doesn't even flinch.

10-12-2012, 11:36 PM
:confused0006:....let me be the 1st to say.....:eek:.....sue is that you :dontknow:

dont u save birds for a living....didnt see that coming

now back on topic

was thinkin bout your question and if i were in your shoes i might toss puperton in the car and head off to the shooting range for a game off fetch the bird toy. Or real dead bird ( sue ? really dead birds :o) .

but seriously start with a walk on leash towards a local range and play with puperton to keep him focused on fun while you get closer and closer to the sound of the gun shots.

maybe just maybe u could even get to the parking lot and toss the bird around ....but at the very least you will have a idea in a controlled environment of how the dog will behave .

:confused0006: could wait for a shot then throw the bird

dont mind me [stoned][stoned][stoned][stoned][woweyes] oh no 4 bong to many [16]

What ?? :dontknow:

thats what i said [cheers]

dirka dave
10-13-2012, 10:09 AM
My first dog, sunshine, was a lab x.

She was kinda a bird dog, she tried.

We took her out and just started shooting one day when she was about a year old.

She was scared at first, then she was ok.

Some dogs can handle it, some just can't.

10-13-2012, 12:03 PM
use a 22 first then move up to a shotgun not too close then work your way in untill your next to the shooter.
your dog will let you know when its ok to get closer.

10-13-2012, 12:03 PM
Thanks guys for the advice and Tuna... yes, killing birds. I don't plan on hunting deer or moose or anything like that but I don't mind shooting ducks and grouse cuz then I can feed it to the raptors at OWL. Fresh and free food! :)

10-13-2012, 12:29 PM
A stick is cheaper than shells for hunting grouse lol

10-13-2012, 12:40 PM
Buddys dog hated gun noise , started walks around the range far away ,slowly got closer also took along a toy . Another dog that is good with noise can help stable the scene .

10-13-2012, 01:09 PM
If you want to get the dog trained correctly there is plenty of good info on here http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?32868-Gun-Dog-Training-Seminar [cheers]