View Full Version : new/old hunter

09-11-2012, 07:47 PM
So ive hunted in the past but just with my dad. And hes always taken care of the animals and what not. Ive only shot one deer and he took care of that too. This year i bought my own rifle and will be hunting on my own. My question is do u guys have any tips and tricks after i shoot an animal. I know right away to gut it. The whole gutting it thing myself will be new to me too. ive been there when its been done but havent done it myself either. then im pretty sure its best to hang it/skin it am i right? Now once skinned what do u wrap it in to transport it to the butchers? Any info on this stuff is greatly appreciated. Thank you

09-11-2012, 08:38 PM
you can buy game bags for transporting to butchers last year though I saw a guy using bed sheets he sewed them like a giant sleeping bag then slipped them over the deer once hung and just taped around the legs good idea and reusable as well. As for skinning and gutting youtube is your friend [cheers]

Punk in Drublic
09-11-2012, 08:52 PM
yup youtube is how i learnt to skin and gut. as for transport, i was close enough to home i just brought it home to do everything. never had to go further than 20 minutes to bag my deer

09-12-2012, 06:44 AM
with gutting their are certin this to cut and things not to cut. as for skinning its quite easy. pull on skin and run knife right ware the skin meet the meat. once you get going it will make sence.

cut the belly and the skin (from pelvis to neck) dont cut into the gut sack as you do this. go slow until you find the gut sack. them lift the skin off the gut sack and continue cutting.

then split the briskett/ rib cage. right in the middle. uaisly and solid knife can do this but if not a bone saw is good.

cut the neck and wind pipe. reach up threw the chest cavits and grab the pipe and pull it out.

the pelvis needs to be cut on two sides. to creat a gap. then rim around the anus with a knife and make sure not to cut it. if you do clean your knife

grab the wind pipe and start pulling and cut anything that is still holding on as you go. everything is in a bag on the ground betewwn the legs.

for wraping the meat you want to let it breath but keep it covered so flyes cant land on it. you use to be able to buy cheese cloth and wrap them like a mummy. bed sheets work too.

09-12-2012, 06:45 AM
oh and with deer. learn about the sent glands. and dont touch them.

09-12-2012, 08:55 AM
ok lets go hunting!!

09-12-2012, 09:24 AM
here is a good link

09-12-2012, 08:47 PM
after i have it skinned i like to wash it down with warm water to get the hair and any dirt that may have gotten on it off, ur first gut jod will be messy but there do get better (hopefully) :) best way to learn is to have it on the ground in front of u, i like to spit the rib cage when gut clear and easyer i think, if u do it saw from the thort down so u dont hit the gut bag