PDA

View Full Version : 1993 jeep grand cherokee tps bad?

godtool
07-23-2012, 02:52 PM
My haynes manual showed me how to test throttle position sensor. 200 mv at closed throttle to just less than 4.8 volts at fully open. My tests were 700 mV to 3.65 Volts. Is that good enough I wonder or is it defective? I was told if its defective it could be sending incorrect msgs to tranny to cause it not to shift properly.

yoda604
07-23-2012, 03:47 PM
Well if the manual says one thing, and your testes come back with a different reading than I would say that your TPS is no good.

I don't think that it would have anything to do with poor shifting however, more like improper fuel delivery. However the ZJ's are a different beast to me.

winner
07-23-2012, 04:11 PM
make sure you have an accurate DMM an even better choice would be something that will show you the actual pulse width like a snap on modis. but your right the TPS is probs fucked

bcmaxx
07-23-2012, 04:40 PM
My haynes manual showed me how to test throttle position sensor. 200 mv at closed throttle to just less than 4.8 volts at fully open. My tests were 700 mV to 3.65 Volts. Is that good enough I wonder or is it defective? I was told if its defective it could be sending incorrect msgs to tranny to cause it not to shift properly.
Yes it can affect your transmission shifting if its faulty, wet or out of range