PDA

View Full Version : Tire balance beads

hrd4mud
07-11-2012, 09:55 AM
Who uses em, who likes em, who hates em, who doesnt even know what they are?

Pudge
07-11-2012, 10:03 AM
waste of money

just my 2 pennies

P

Tunabomber
07-11-2012, 10:15 AM
going to put some serious thought into them when i mount my beadlocks :confused0006:

Happypants
07-11-2012, 11:31 AM
waste of time, i didnt run them on my beadlocks and i never had any issues at all, if you got a front end wobble with mud tires, get a alignment and fix your front end,

procircuit
07-11-2012, 11:45 AM
i run beadlocked 20's with 40s... shit glides nice..

Pudge
07-11-2012, 11:54 AM
I have installed them in many things over the years, and several styles. I would say they work 50% or less of the time. Don't know why sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Just that I would never do it. They are pain if you get a flat and things like that.
Like Nick said, "usually" if you have a bad shake there is a reason. Not sure about home built bead locks, but at least on the ones I had ( although I never balanced them, never needed to) Allied you can balance with hammer on weights on the inside, and if they are deep enough dish if you care to, you add stick on weights on the outside.

Cheese eyes
07-11-2012, 02:01 PM
I have installed them in many things over the years, and several styles. I would say they work 50% or less of the time. Don't know why sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Just that I would never do it. They are pain if you get a flat and things like that.
Like Nick said, "usually" if you have a bad shake there is a reason. Not sure about home built bead locks, but at least on the ones I had ( although I never balanced them, never needed to) Allied you can balance with hammer on weights on the inside, and if they are deep enough dish if you care to, you add stick on weights on the outside.

[iagree]

and if you air down your tires the beads can fly out or clog up the valve and then the valve leeks...

Happypants
07-11-2012, 02:27 PM
i had weld on homemade beadlocks, no weight on them at all and they were totally fine,

hrd4mud
07-11-2012, 03:53 PM
I personally love em for my street weekend wheeler, tires always stay balanced no matter what i hit in the bush.

used em for the first time when i got a set of old 35's on 16.5 rims, driving the truck was like sitting in a vibrator the ladies loved it though. The balancer said was gonna take like 18 ounces to balance they tossed in a bag and i couldn't believe how smooth the truck rolled after that. mud would fill the rim and they stay balanced.

my current truck has em on worn out m55 toyos, rotors are warped to shit it rolls perfectly smooth, and when i step on brake a quick shake then they adjust and it brakes smooth.

I wont ever use lead weights again.

Apathy
07-11-2012, 04:32 PM
I have them, been running them for years.
They make no difference in a swamper if they are cold.
I can run my rig at 100k and no vibes, wobbles or anything.

I have 14 oz of airsoft pellets in each tire.
38x12.5 tsl/sx's on DIY beadlocks.

EIEIO
07-11-2012, 04:59 PM
pm Spanky if you need to know about beads.

Happypants
07-11-2012, 06:00 PM
lol lol lol

RCCruiser
07-12-2012, 06:05 PM
The real thing is too expensive. I first tried golf balls in my 38.5" SX's, and they worked great. Just kinda noisy when slowing down.
I now use airsoft pellets in my 38" SX's on recentered Hummer rims. Works pretty good, considering the wheels aren't even round.

They aren't 100%, but work better than nothing. I've always found stick-on weights, or clip on weights get knocked off far too easily. Not to mention the tire slowly walks around the rim, especially if you air down often. Then your stick-on and clip on weights are in the wrong spot anyways.

stockwheels
07-12-2012, 06:14 PM
my 37s and bead locks are ride nicer than my dd and they will never see A balancing

gavman
07-12-2012, 08:39 PM
I got em in my work truck and no balance issues at all in about 40K... I would use them again with my next tires.

JackRabbit
07-16-2012, 02:31 PM
I use them on my 96 ram 2500 with a cummins, im running 35`s and i drive this thing on the highway everyday to work and they work awsome. the balance charts on the other hand that show what size bags to use dont work. what i did was threw the tire on a tire balancer and the weight that it was calling for is what i put in the tire and its fine

hrd4mud
07-17-2012, 01:20 PM
The real thing is too expensive.

Thats what I found, when I put them in the tireshop gave me a deal just charged me reg balance price. Was gonna buy some direct for one of my bush toys and couldnt believe how much they are!

Saw a lot of guys running airsoft pellets but you need a lot to get the weight.

Found a manufacturer direct in china, got my first shipment coming in asap, its slow to deal with em cause of timechange and they wanted to ship 12 tons at a time lol, but I worked out a deal.

Gonna sell em on ebay and retire one day I hope lol

and no wasnt trying to run an ad just trying to gauge do it yourselvers demand for em, which isnt great I see lol.

yotav8
08-06-2012, 11:45 PM
Have them in my 13x50 36inch iroc and they suck around town but highway not bad.
Then again truck sat for a 6 months without moving . Wouldnt be suprised if a tire or 2 is eggshaped aka out of round .

Punk in Drublic
08-07-2012, 05:28 PM
used em on my q 78s when thye got real bad. i had one of the biggest lugs torn pretty well right off and a shitload of chunking allover, they ran smooth from about 65 km/h to 120/ below that they werent perfect but bettr than nothing, still very drivable. and when i swapped the rears to fronts, i couldnt do more than 25 k without getting shook off the road until i filled em up with bbs.
, so ya they worke for me.