PDA

View Full Version : WTF paint question ???

Tunabomber
07-03-2012, 01:23 AM
ok so untill now my rattle can kungfoo has been strong

painted my jeep twicealready in the past and ner had this issue before

i sanded the door a little bit to put a scuff on it and remobe the scratches
then wiped with thinner to clean it up and then just wirped with a damp cloth and let dry for 15 min.

did the first coat no problem

did the second coat ( a bit thicker ) and watched this happen right in front of me :dontknow::dontknow::dontknow::dontknow::dontknow:

only thing i did differnt was uprade to semi gloss rather than flat black

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t83/mrtuna/58c6e3d9.jpg

4skin
07-03-2012, 01:55 AM
diferent type of paint or brand:dontknow: enamel over tremclad or laquer over enamel
pretty much lifted the old paint
depending on the thinner you used
laquer thinner softens the old paint and could cause this
now the fun starts trying to remove it down to original paint
sanding it will just plug the paper up
try some laquer thinner on a rag let rag sit on it to soften paint and
use a plastic scraper to remove paint do a small area at a time
and wear gloves wouldnt want to mess up your desk jocky hands[f]

StinkFinger
07-03-2012, 06:56 AM
Any contact with silicone will do that aswell did your rag or fingers perhaps come into contact with some armorall break fluid ect....

dirka dave
07-03-2012, 09:52 AM
Wipe with rubbing alachol. ??

procircuit
07-03-2012, 10:30 AM
Wipe with rubbing alachol. ??

is this a new product:dontknow: lol

bcmaxx
07-03-2012, 12:34 PM
Use grease and wax remover, I use duplicolor. I dont dont rubbing alcohol as it has a lot of water in it

Deggs
07-03-2012, 12:50 PM
old and new paints arent compatable happems with oil/latex too. just look in my bathroom ;)

Chody
07-03-2012, 12:55 PM
Use grease and wax remover, I use duplicolor. I dont dont rubbing alcohol as it has a lot of water in it

also, let that G&W removal dry for about 30 mins before using a Tack cloth to wipe up dust. then paint. make sure to not mix paint type.

dirka dave
07-03-2012, 01:11 PM
%99.8 alcohol dose not have much h2o in it.

rat trap
07-03-2012, 01:14 PM
several things can cause that. 1 thing i would guess is a adhesion not sanded good enough should . What grit of paper did you use? My second guess would have to be contamination maybe someone had oily hands or you used the wrong thinner mineral spirits will not work on automotive paint you have to use a the proper thinner. And third would have to be to much catalyst the top is drying before the bottom can and as the gases escape it wrinkle the top layer.

So what you wanna do is wait a few day for a full cure sand the whole area to be painted really well wash with methyl hydrate. let dry. thin paint with proper thinner and then apply a very light coat let fully cure and then re sand entire area and then apply moderately heavy final coat .
If you find any imperfections in final product just wet sand them out.

Good luck

[cheers]

StinkFinger
07-03-2012, 01:51 PM
I don't think it's a catalyst or thinner Isue as he stated it came out of a spray bomb

Apathy
07-03-2012, 02:13 PM
I get that problem every now and again. it seams to happen when its cold out

Tunabomber
07-03-2012, 02:39 PM
was about 16 degrees

going to try a light sand to remove bad spot and then just a water wipe and spray

im thinkin it was the thinner i used to dust the freshly sanded paint

cant remember what paint i used before so i hope bruce aint right cuz i painted the hole jeep that way

Happypants
07-03-2012, 02:39 PM
I get that problem every now and again. it seams to happen when its cold out

same,

skyjacker
07-03-2012, 02:52 PM
Just think of it as a verry custom paint job:D

bcmaxx
07-03-2012, 02:55 PM
old and new paints arent compatable happems with oil/latex too. just look in my bathroom ;)
I hope that my thick primer works, I'm doing my bathroom tonight!!!!!friggen old ass paint....

bcbronco2
07-03-2012, 03:50 PM
i've got a couple spots like that on my b2...
thank jebus just a couple... the only 'prep work' i did was to wash the body and tape up windows before i started painting... lol

X-Factor
07-03-2012, 10:13 PM
i think its called alligation... kinda like alligator skin.. like some one said just let it cure and sand it out..
oh and fix the dent [smack]

chevy69chevelle
07-03-2012, 10:47 PM
that's why I don't use spray bombs, you never know what's in the can!!!

paints can react with each other even if they are dry, another reason it is good to prime first.

enamels are one of the worst for reacting, it can react with itself in the wrong conditions...

a cheater way to blow down a vehicle after sanding it is with a rag/air blower. but wax and grease remover is always a good idea.

Trailjunkie
07-03-2012, 10:59 PM
contact with some armorall break fluid ect....

with you my bets on Armour all
.lol

dirka dave
07-03-2012, 11:14 PM
with you my bets on Armour all
.lol

Or brill cream.
:D

Fencepostxjay
07-03-2012, 11:32 PM
I have had that with cabinets before. If there is a scratch just deep enough. When new paint that dosn't like the old it creeps under old and lifts and wrinkles watch All that wrinkle has lifted. If u scrape while wet I bet it might come off down to primer. And if coated again it might happen again until it's sanded to primer and like in any info light even coats is better then thick ones. Not trying to say you don't know how to do it as you have had success before , every one has had reactions To be good at what you do is to be able to recover from a prob , I've done flat - 5 step high gloss polish on many substrates so I had my fair shares , Theres never any problems. Just solutions. Good luck [cheers] Just my 2 cents.

And as in other posts sanding is big. Might even have been a weak sand on the other paint job and just manage to stick but when new paint went on it got under and lifted the old paint if that happens on wood it lifts every thing down to the wood. It sucks but it happens

And it is rattle can so no catalist or thinner required. So you dont have to worry about mixing ratios , I've been mixing paints for many years and never had a cat issue.

It is cool in a bad way to see that happen. Ounce it starts it just spreads and creeps along like its alive

85chevy
07-03-2012, 11:48 PM
Laquer thinner will soften most paints and a rattle can is like 90% solvent and about 10% solids

4skin
07-04-2012, 12:33 AM
most wash and wipe solvents will wipe spraybomb off
and just sanding aligation smooth wont fix it
you have broken the bond between the paint layers
it has to come off or it will just do it again more time and paint wasted
and another layer of paint to remove
but what would i know about painting cars
acrylic enamel was a new thing when i started painting cars inthe mid 70s lol

dirka dave
07-04-2012, 10:57 AM
We have this stuff at work called "no flash".

It's an electrical contact cleaner. It pulls all oils out and evaporates almost instantaneously.

It's being removed from work as the first warning on the can says.
-may cause sterization. !!! :eek:

So you know it works good. :D

4skin
07-04-2012, 11:31 PM
We have this stuff at work called "no flash".

It's an electrical contact cleaner. It pulls all oils out and evaporates almost instantaneously.

It's being removed from work as the first warning on the can says.
-may cause sterization. !!! :eek:

So you know it works good. :D
didnt work very good at the sterilization
or you didnt use enough

Happypants
07-04-2012, 11:32 PM
Fuck....ya beat me to it Bruce lol

trailburban
07-07-2012, 09:05 PM
humidity causes that, also if you apply a second coat over the first coat before the first coat dries but after the 'skin' of the first coat has hardened (the stage after the tacky phase)