PDA

View Full Version : 6L problem

hornythrony
06-29-2012, 09:27 PM
let me start off by saying i know 6L why'd you buy one but its not mine and im trying to fix it for someone. does anyone on here work at ford or on these trucks?

hey so im working on my inlaws 05 6L. this morning he started the truck and came in to check something quick but by the time he came back out the truck died, then tried to start and nothing not even a pop or a fart. later he tried again nothing again. by the time i got there i had to charge the batts (he left the key on, oops) and now everytime i turn the key on and the fuel pump pressures up theres a air noise by the fuel filter at the top of the engine and i cant find it. i loosened all the fitting and retightened them still there i changed the filter o ring still there. its only air no fuel (i brake cleaned it up and nothing wet) any ideas???????

i got fuel pressure but nothing out the tail pipe when turning over:dontknow:

sarg
06-29-2012, 11:00 PM
my dad has a 05 6l and it just up and died on him about a month ago, it turn out that one of the o-ring let go on one of the injecter and the senser was buy passing something,

dirka dave
06-30-2012, 09:50 AM
This happened to my buddys 6l a while back...

it turned out it only needed $5000 in repairs at the dealer.

g-rod
06-30-2012, 10:49 AM
Ether it, if it starts good job, if it doesn't, your 1-9000 dollars in repairs HPOP, injectors, who knows

Troy
07-03-2012, 01:20 AM
dont use ether on it

thats for starting shitty old equipment

4skin
07-03-2012, 01:59 AM
shity old equipment:confused0006: and ford 6 liter:dontknow: pretty much same thing

dirka dave
07-03-2012, 09:53 AM
shity old equipment:confused0006: and ford 6 liter:dontknow: pretty much same thing

Bwahahaha.

Quote of the day right there.

sas'd22re
07-03-2012, 02:14 PM
Cummins swap

steve604
07-03-2012, 09:03 PM
hpop reservoir would be the next thing to check. make sure there is oil in there and that the engine itself shows enough oil on the dipstick.

the injectors need pressurized engine oil to work.... it's like a low oil shutdown.

Mud Slinging Dumb Fawker
07-03-2012, 11:25 PM
dont use ether on it

thats for starting shitty old equipment

we use ether for starting them all the time sounds like a high pressure oil leak to me

85chevy
07-03-2012, 11:52 PM
Funny how Ford ruined a motor that worked fine in International Trucks:dontknow:

85chevy
07-03-2012, 11:55 PM
hpop reservoir would be the next thing to check. make sure there is oil in there and that the engine itself shows enough oil on the dipstick.

the injectors need pressurized engine oil to work.... it's like a low oil shutdown.
If u have Fuel pressure then ur missing Oil pressure or FICM isn't sending voltage which is 48 volts to fire the injector.

hornythrony
07-05-2012, 11:18 PM
Well had some time to look at it yesterday and found a blown fuse under the hood then went to test FCIM no volts then put a breaky in to see and smoke came out of the FCIM so its new FCIM time. There's a place in the states that upgrades and fixes them proper so out it goes and if anyone else need to know the place just pm me. Tell you how it works when I get it back in

steve604
07-05-2012, 11:30 PM
the '05 FICM's were supposed to be a little better. i've heard a few times that a common cause of FICM failure is actually due to battery/alternator low voltage issues.

hornythrony
07-06-2012, 12:28 PM
Yeah I have a 05 too with 170***kms and so far no problems knock on wood but his truck did have some jump starting times on it cuz stuff was left on and I guess that and it sits a lot may be some of the cause. FCIM gets shipped out today we'll see how long it sits at the boarder hopefully not to long cuz they fix it same day and shipped back out

Ginger Snaps
07-06-2012, 12:35 PM
how did you test the ficm? any codes?

hornythrony
07-06-2012, 02:07 PM
Once and a blue moon the yellow wrench popped up but could get it if it was a code but here's a you tube vid for easy testing and I also set it to them to repair

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VSQ9lxr2oN4

Ginger Snaps
07-07-2012, 04:03 PM
shoulda seen this sooner i sell swamps diesel FICMS best rebuilders out there right now make a stock 48v and a heavyduty 58v can also get them tuned for better mpg, towing and all out power.

Give me a pm if you have any questions on the 6.0

cheers

Lurker
07-09-2012, 05:22 PM
the '05 FICM's were supposed to be a little better. i've heard a few times that a common cause of FICM failure is actually due to battery/alternator low voltage issues.

Yes, I just read about this in the May 2012 Diesel Power magazine.

steve604
07-10-2012, 01:22 AM
the FICM itself draws over 100 amps at 14 volts just to power the injectors.

if you spend 30 seconds trying to start the truck with voltage getting down to 10 volts as you try to start the truck, you can get into the 150 amp range which means excessive, instant heat on a cold circuit board. solder melts and circuit boards crack.

the FICM steps up the voltage to 48 volts to the injectors so the current draw there is much less but even on the high voltage side, lower voltage during starting means higher current there so heat gets created on that side too.

i know a guy that has a shop that has replaced many 6.0 FICM's. in most cases the batteries on the trucks were weak and sometimes alternator too. after replacing the FICM he tells the customer the batteries are weak and NEED to be replaced and that the alternator should be tested..... the customer response is usually "there is nothing wrong with the batteries, they start the truck just fine"...... 6 months later they're back with a dead FICM, the same two batteries in the truck and bad attitude to go along with it claiming the FICM was a piece of junk.

85chevy
07-10-2012, 08:39 PM

if you spend 30 seconds trying to start the truck with voltage getting down to 10 volts as you try to start the truck, you can get into the 150 amp range which means excessive, instant heat on a cold circuit board. solder melts and circuit boards crack.

the FICM steps up the voltage to 48 volts to the injectors so the current draw there is much less but even on the high voltage side, lower voltage during starting means higher current there so heat gets created on that side too.

i know a guy that has a shop that has replaced many 6.0 FICM's. in most cases the batteries on the trucks were weak and sometimes alternator too. after replacing the FICM he tells the customer the batteries are weak and NEED to be replaced and that the alternator should be tested..... the customer response is usually "there is nothing wrong with the batteries, they start the truck just fine"...... 6 months later they're back with a dead FICM, the same two batteries in the truck and bad attitude to go along with it claiming the FICM was a piece of junk.
Attitude like that keeps a lot of us employed[cheers]

hornythrony
07-10-2012, 11:29 PM

Yeah tested batt's and alt both are in great shape batt's aren't that old either but circuit only takes a 50amp fuse so yeah and this one was so fried it pulled over 100 amps just with the key on not turning over. And now with my spare 04 FCIM it running good and a good 48v at tester ports and lest then 50amp draw