PDA

View Full Version : Ford Ranger and Water

Ranger Bob
06-26-2012, 10:02 AM
I have an 03 ford ranger with the 4.0L v6 in it and a 5spd manual tranny, and I love to 4x4 however when i drive it through some water or mud it seems to cut out after driving through it, it literally just drives and then cuts out for a second then keeps going and it will do this for about 30mins of driving afterwards... anyone had this problem and know how to fix it, or anyone have any suggestions as to what might be wrong?

Cheers,
Tyler

Hello Kitty
06-26-2012, 10:04 AM
I have an 03 ford ranger with the 4.0L v6 in it and a 5spd manual tranny, and I love to 4x4 however when i drive it through some water or mud it seems to cut out after driving through it, it literally just drives and then cuts out for a second then keeps going and it will do this for about 30mins of driving afterwards... anyone had this problem and know how to fix it, or anyone have any suggestions as to what might be wrong?

Cheers,
Tyler

Is your distributor getting wet?

Evan the Blue
06-26-2012, 10:09 AM
[stupid] A bead of silicone around the distributor cap will probably make the difference. Or carry a can of electrical contact cleaner and give a spray to clean/dry her out.

StinkFinger
06-26-2012, 03:20 PM
Go buy some dielectric grease pull all of your wiring connections apart squirt some in there plug them back in. Take your ditributor cap off run just a film of dish soap around the distributor where the cap meets it run a bead of silicon around the cap and put them back together it will give you a reusable seal rather than glueing your cap on and check where your air intake is if it's sucking up a bit of water it might be fucking with your air flow sensor

skyjacker
06-26-2012, 07:57 PM
An 03 4L ranger dose not have a distributor it's all electronic , matter a fact all the 4L's are like that just the 2.9s, 2.3s etc have dizzys , I'd say it's a wireing issue somewhere check all your connections

MRadelet
06-26-2012, 08:15 PM
An 03 4L ranger dose not have a distributor it's all electronic , matter a fact all the 4L's are like that just the 2.9s, 2.3s etc have dizzys , I'd say it's a wireing issue somewhere check all your connections

[iagree]
None of the 4.0s had a dizzy probably have loose or corroded connection or maybe a bad plug wire

mus-Tard
06-27-2012, 01:22 AM
how deep is the water?

Chopstick
06-27-2012, 05:03 AM
:gives: about this guys ford that no one knows anything about!! :D

Tinker
06-27-2012, 06:26 AM
I know what's wrong......it's highlighted in blue and circled, they put it in the middle of the grill and if you missed that it's repeated in the middle of the steering wheel! ;)

yoda604
06-27-2012, 09:29 AM
I know what's wrong......it's highlighted in blue and circled, they put it in the middle of the grill and if you missed that it's repeated in the middle of the steering wheel! ;)
:s30x:

It could always be that he's taking in water, and it runs like shit afterwards for about 30 mins cause the plugs are wet and fouled. and everytime he does it he's, screwing his motor more and more.

Chopstick
06-27-2012, 12:54 PM
Take your garden hOse and spray your engine while running if u think it's your wiring or take it and spray right into your air box and see what happens

yoda604
06-27-2012, 01:57 PM
Take your garden hOse and spray your engine while running if u think it's your wiring or take it and spray right into your air box and see what happens

Ya or just check your air filter.

hockeyryan
06-27-2012, 05:11 PM
mine does the same thing. i think it the problem is your sucking up water. my air intake is right above the passanger wheel well. when ever it happens i pull the plugs n it runs fine after

stockwheels
06-27-2012, 09:50 PM
just add more water and problem solved works for my ford

mattdroz
06-28-2012, 03:08 PM
relocate your air intake, you can thank me later.