PDA

View Full Version : Locking hubs won't fully seat...

'Balmer
06-17-2012, 01:04 PM
Hey guys, I'm having an issue with my locking hubs. I'm just finishing my build but I've come to a bit of a roadblock. My new Warn premium locking hubs wont seat all the way into the hub. This means that the stub shaft doesn't protrude far enough through the locking hubs to ge the snap ring on. The housing is a waggy D44 and the axles are Yukon Chro-mo's. The spindles are from a waggy D44 (not the same one as the housing). All bearings, races and spindle nuts are new and seem to have seated perfectly.
I've read that the manual hubs don't require a thrust washer on the stub shaft... my spindle bearing kit included a nylon/plastic thrust washer - not sure if I should remove it?
I'd post up pics but I don't seem to have any luck with that.
Any ideas?

85chevy
06-17-2012, 02:03 PM
Did u try pulling the stub shaft out before u slide the hub in are u talking about like 1/8 of an inch to get the snap ring on?

'Balmer
06-17-2012, 02:15 PM
Ya, I tried prying the stub shafts (gently) forward into the hub but they seem to be seated right up tight against the back of the spindle as they should be. The shaft needs to move about 1/4" to have a bit of play after engaging the snap ring. I'll add some pics to my facebook page later today so you can see what i mean. It may be that rather than the shaft coming forward more, the hub needs to seat further in. It's butting up against the spindle as it should but it seems a bit too far out to me. Pics coming soon. Thanks for the help!

4skin
06-17-2012, 04:22 PM
the nylon thrust washer helps keep crap out of the axle bearing
did you put them in right ??
there is a taper around the inside of the washer it faces the axle
did it wrong once had the same problem

'Balmer
06-17-2012, 05:20 PM
Thanks Bruce. I have the taper facing towards the hub so maybe that's it. I'll try swapping it around!

'Balmer
06-19-2012, 03:43 PM
Got it sorted. The stub shaft V-seals (to the back of the spindle) weren't seating properly and were preventing the stub shafts from siding all the way in to the hubs. Thanks for the tips!

ginge-rook
06-19-2012, 04:57 PM
sorry i dont know much about what you're talking about but all i read on this thread is very sexual oh yeah

Chopstick
06-19-2012, 05:25 PM
Maybe post some pics of the things it does to u

4skin
06-19-2012, 07:52 PM
glad to hear you finaly got your shaft to bottom in the tight hole

Apathy
06-20-2012, 09:08 AM
Got it sorted. The stub shaft V-seals (to the back of the spindle) weren't seating properly and were preventing the stub shafts from siding all the way in to the hubs. Thanks for the tips!

ya, when you replace them i stick my crow bar in the ujonit and pull towards teh hub,

I was going to suggest this before i saw you found the problem.

Jeremy

Chopstick
06-20-2012, 10:28 AM
Now that u got everything together have u checked to see that your hubs actually work? Spin your axle while free, lock em see if u can spin it. <--- stupid suggestion but u never know right?!