PDA

View Full Version : Help with atx mojave corrosion

landon
06-10-2012, 06:18 PM
Hey Guys
I'm awaiting some new spline lugs for my new wheel and tire combo. I got some used 17x8 mojave's cheap from a guy in washington. They are in very good shape on the face but there is corrosion where the inside of the rim will meet my hub. It is not even, i had to get 3 of them machined to fit the bore of my toyota b/c they were on a chevy before. He must have bought a new one to replace a damaged one and that was toyota bore size. Anyway any ideas about just running them with this corrosion? or grinding and painting? Thanks

85chevy
06-10-2012, 06:26 PM
Its what happens when u put aluminum against steel so clean it up with scotch brite and put some never sieze on the mounting surface or the wheel where it mounts shouldn't have another problem

landon
06-10-2012, 06:27 PM
yaya thanks man

abec
06-10-2012, 10:15 PM
Sand blast or sand and powder coat as for the never seize will cause the alu to corrode us malox or teflon gel

mini
06-10-2012, 10:37 PM
clean it up and get a thin sheet of plastic and cut to fit between the rim and WMS, problem solved for ever

landon
06-11-2012, 06:33 PM
I am running aluminum spacers so i shouldnt have more problems but it was from the last guy on his chevy. my concern was the uneven surface and if it could keep the wheel from sitting flat. I dont have access to a powder coating setup but will maybe grind and paint it. Has anyone ordered from Wheelers Offroad Inc? I ordered new lugs on the 5th and can hardly wait to get these fuckers mounted.

Chopstick
06-11-2012, 08:36 PM
Don't grind it!

Pudge
06-11-2012, 09:38 PM
Holy shit Hopsing made sense, lol. Agreed, do not grind. A plastic spacer is the best idea, it is what they do on big rigs, it's a common problem with steel hubs and aluminum rims with a hub pilot fitment. A wee bit of never seize now that the pitting is there isn't too bad of an idea, but not too much or it will leak down and make a mess, possibly even loosen off.

P

85chevy
06-11-2012, 10:33 PM
Sand blast or sand and powder coat as for the never seize will cause the alu to corrode us malox or teflon gel
Kinda hard to make it worse when its made of non-ferrous metals:dontknow:

abec
06-12-2012, 12:36 AM
Non ferrous just means it wont rust it still corrodes and never seize has copper in it which cause galvanic corrosion on alu

landon
06-12-2012, 08:35 AM
Ok so i won't grind. Any idea where i might find these plastic spacers from in van?
Thanks

Apathy
06-12-2012, 09:20 AM
Personnally i would use Some 3M Moly Kote. its a dry bonded lubricant that will create a barrier and eliminate the dis-similar metal corrosion.
and it won't make a mess everytime you take the wheel off.

landon
06-14-2012, 10:37 PM
Thanks everyone for input, here they are mounted. Done trimming and almost done pounding. Love em so far