PDA

View Full Version : headlite height? can you build a bumper with lights in it?

jnyblazer
05-31-2012, 07:39 PM
can you build a bumper with lights in it, and tooggle the stock ones? i hear the measurments are 80-120cm i am way off, i am trying to give the boys in blue a hard time to find anything....any ideas?

89burban
05-31-2012, 08:31 PM
I'm pretty sure you can build headlights into a bumper. I've seen it before. Signals, etc. And even some that just hang down under the bumper. Just make it so it's like stock. Placement, aiming, approved lights, etc.

And if they are up to law, then you could use the stock ones as extras on a toggle..

But don't quote me on this.. :D

crimsen
05-31-2012, 09:36 PM
no idea on law, but going with your 80-120cm heights, it does not matter what the lights are mounted in/on/to, as long as they are approved lights (dot compliant) and function normal ones do.

you will need to disable the factory headlights that are not within that range while driving o the road. you dont get to have 4 headlights, 2 at day 90cm and 2 and 180cm. the 180cm are above height and illegal. offroad however you are fine to use any and all lights you wish.

i believe there is also law on how many headlights you can have. i want to say 2 headlights and 2 fog lights but i am not sure. i do know however you cant line up 10 headlights across the front and use them all.

chevy69chevelle
05-31-2012, 09:40 PM
yes but they have to throw a beam a certain distance and be dot approved. I am pretty sure you must retain hi/lo beam(easiest is grab some square or round sealed beams and use stock plugs rewired to new headlights)

2 headlights and 4 axillary forward facing lights I believe, any more and they must be covered. nothing over the roof unless they are covered

jnyblazer
06-01-2012, 10:52 PM
thanks guys yes i think it should be ok with the d.o.t. factory headlites built into the bumper at reg height, thanks guys, and the toogle

kootenaycat
06-03-2012, 10:47 PM
I would pass it if a vehicle came in with DOT lights in the bumper. Fortis (our version of BC Hydro) and other companies build them into their bumpers on some of the bigger line trucks.