PDA

View Full Version : quick diff question

Cyanide
05-28-2012, 07:13 PM
i bought a yj recently and it needs a seal for the front diff its completly gone, would it be easier too replace the whole diff or just put in a new seal? Ive been told its easier too put in a new diff, what do you guys think

crimsen
05-28-2012, 07:26 PM
well since there are multiple seals likely, like pinion, dif cover, and axle tube seals, as well as likely hub seals, why not tell us what seal is leaking? otherwise, its probably easiest just to get a new vehicle. i mean, if you have a hard time with a seal, things are probably not gonna go well for ya.

Jeep Victim
05-28-2012, 07:27 PM
inner or outer?I did both in mine and it wasn't that bad.

Jeep Victim
05-28-2012, 07:28 PM
well since there are multiple seals likely, like pinion, dif cover, and axle tube seals, as well as likely hub seals, why not tell us what seal is leaking? otherwise, its probably easiest just to get a new vehicle. i mean, if you have a hard time with a seal, things are probably not gonna go well for ya. Especially if you're rolling in a Jeep.

Cyanide
05-28-2012, 07:31 PM
outter seal

Cyanide
05-28-2012, 07:36 PM
not bad for $1000

Jeep Victim
05-28-2012, 07:41 PM
outers are not too hard,instead of putting the same type of seals back in,get some aftermarket ones that you can grease.

Happypants
05-28-2012, 09:01 PM
sell the yj and go back to the stock blazer, your not cool enough to own a jeep,

bigorange440
05-28-2012, 10:28 PM
if its the pass side u probley broke the stupid little plastic thing thats supose to be a support bearring for the axle. the older yjs had a roller bearring the newer one have a plastic bushing. replaced a few. its a dealer only piece too.. stupd jeeps. but still not too bad to change

D-Ass
05-29-2012, 12:23 AM
pick up a book and look at the fucking pictures! are people this fucking stupid now a days? better yet sell it to some one that can figure their shit out and go back to getting your mom to drive you around!

4skin
05-29-2012, 12:35 AM
pick up a book and look at the fucking pictures! are people this fucking stupid now a days? better yet sell it to some one that can figure their shit out and go back to getting your mom to drive you around!
let it out tell us how you feel not that we care lol

Cyanide
05-29-2012, 06:27 AM

lol glad too see nothing has changed around here

Cyanide
05-29-2012, 06:29 AM
i cant drive the stock blazer anymore its not getting the job done i had too resort too a jeep and for $1000 I couldnt go wrong when it has 8 inches of lift on 35's it could crawl over my blazer

Cyanide
05-29-2012, 06:30 AM
the previous owner of the jeep put in a used front diff and the pass side never had a seal to begin with

Jeep Victim
05-29-2012, 07:31 AM
having had both a YJ and a fullsize Chevy,I would have sunk the money into the Blazer

4skin
05-29-2012, 08:29 AM
the previous owner of the jeep put in a used front diff and the pass side never had a seal to begin with
so you paid a 1000 bucks to remove some hacked together pos deathtrap
from someones yard

procircuit
05-29-2012, 10:26 AM
a seals gone... shit.... i'd just buy another truck[21]

yoda604
05-29-2012, 10:38 AM
Buy a book. Rebuild it yourself. Learn how it works. It might take you a while the first time, but that's part of learning. If you plan on wheeling and not just fixing things yourself, this expensive hobby just became 10x more expensive. The whole parts cost, for all your bearings and seals is less than $200. and then you know what's good, rather than buying another used piece of shit and having to replace that in a couple months.

StinkFinger
05-29-2012, 12:56 PM
If you have a jeep with an 8" lift and 35's you best get really familiar with tearing down diffs

Casselman
05-29-2012, 02:47 PM
If you have a jeep with an 8" lift and 35's you best get really familiar with tearing down diffs

[iagree]

I got jeep axles coming out of my s10 in the near future ill sell you

Happypants
05-29-2012, 06:05 PM
[iagree]

I got jeep axles coming out of my s10 in the near future ill sell you

thoes things are bullet proof too [36]

Cyanide
05-29-2012, 06:57 PM
I dont really care if my yj is a pos lol its going too be a fun project and my pockets are deep too make it happen

procircuit
05-29-2012, 07:18 PM
Give er!

D-Ass
05-30-2012, 01:41 AM
I dont really care if my yj is a pos lol its going too be a fun project and my pockets are deep too make it happen

so seeing you want to drop a shit load of cash on a 50$yj that will get a vi the min a cop seas it why not dump the pos that you bought and get one with a body that is at least some what straight then find a waggy 44 front and a exploder 88 rear. then call it a day. or do what a smart guy would do and pull off your tires than remove caliper get a 12point 13mm socket and remove the 3 bolts that hold your hubs on the nuckels pull axles remove diff cover mark and remove bearing caps pull out your carrier drive out old seals install new seals replace carrier replace bearing caps as marked when removed install axles and hubs (smear hubs with antiseze) re install bolts re install wheels with lug nuts 5 per side put silicone on diff cover and atach with bolts that were removed when disacembled than fill diff with "new" oil. and if that is too hard I am sure I can make stick man drawings of the procedure! drama

StinkFinger
05-30-2012, 06:06 AM
If your pockets are deep you should be asking about linking it with tones and 40's.

Happypants
05-30-2012, 08:11 AM
lol lol lol lol

mattdroz
05-30-2012, 04:59 PM
i just laughed. not just on one page, but on both. lol Umm id say buy like a haynes manual or something, and replace the bearings. even if you have to buy all the tools too cheaper that way in the long run. If you have tons and tons and tons of money, start with buying me mud tires, then proceed to buying yourself rockweels and like 50 inch tires lol

Cyanide
05-30-2012, 07:09 PM
lol my pockets arent THAT deep, I did buy a haynes manual, im just gonna get a used diff from garys auto wrecking, oh and I need a new transfer case, its cracked and when you really hammer down in 4x4 the slip yolk breaks, the jeep needs work im not gonna lie, but once i replace alota stuff with upgraded parts it will be better then new, or I could take everyones advice and sell it and put the money into my blazer, all my blazer needs is new body mounts and a lift and tires, and new muffler and tail pipe and nothing else, clearly the jeep needs more, but meh, like I said I got the money, I got the mechanic and I got the time, it will be fun

Cyanide
05-30-2012, 07:11 PM
and if it does get a VI im not worried, i gota friend with a truck and car trailer i can drive it too where ever im gonna wheel

Happypants
05-30-2012, 08:37 PM
I got 50 bucks that says within a week he will have a post on here asking for help to put a diff in, seriously!! Just replace the fucking seals!! It's cheaper than buying another diff and trying to put it in, and Im willing to bet you will get a diff with the wrong gears lol

procircuit
05-30-2012, 09:01 PM
Sounds fun! Jeepsrgay. Hope you get that jeeps seal fixed rgay real fast

Casselman
05-30-2012, 09:25 PM
I got 50 bucks that says within a week he will have a post on here asking for help to put a diff in, seriously!! Just replace the fucking seals!! It's cheaper than buying another diff and trying to put it in, and Im willing to bet you will get a diff with the wrong gears lol

Not if buy a matching set lol

Happypants
05-30-2012, 09:27 PM
That's true...

4skin
05-30-2012, 10:41 PM
lol my pockets arent THAT deep, I did buy a haynes manual, im just gonna get a used diff from garys auto wrecking, oh and I need a new transfer case, its cracked and when you really hammer down in 4x4 the slip yolk breaks, the jeep needs work im not gonna lie, but once i replace alota stuff with upgraded parts it will be better then new, or I could take everyones advice and sell it and put the money into my blazer, all my blazer needs is new body mounts and a lift and tires, and new muffler and tail pipe and nothing else, clearly the jeep needs more, but meh, like I said I got the money, I got the mechanic and I got the time, it will be fun
if you need to ask how to change a seal in a jeep diff here and you have a mechanic think you need to change mechanics
and if you got deep pockets spend a couple more grand and buy one that actualy has some proper mods
or be stuborn like what was his nameother than thin skin frenchy:D

Renegord
05-30-2012, 11:06 PM
WOW , a quick diff question turned into quite a debate,[k] . The trick is research , if you really like the idea of modding your jeep , spend some time doing some before you post a silly question , and spend two to three (sometimes more)pages , being made fun of. Forums are helpful , but come prepared. If you're on here it means you have internet access , so all the info you need is in here somewhere and it's not that hard to find. I started with a bone stock 94 yj , and very little experience modding and fabricating . Now I have a 331 stroker , a F/S tranny and transfer case , a locked dana 44 up front ,a ford 8.8 (with disc brakes and LSD) in the rear , and I've done most of it by myself , had a lot of fun , and learned a lot in the prosess. the moral of my story is , read more and ask less.[cheers]

Jeep Victim
05-31-2012, 07:36 AM
I got 50 bucks that says within a week he will have a post on here asking for help to put a diff in, seriously!! Just replace the fucking seals!! It's cheaper than buying another diff and trying to put it in, and Im willing to bet you will get a diff with the wrong gears lol[cheers]

buying a diff because it needs seals is like buying new shoes because you stepped in dog shit.The Jeep phase you are going through will eat your bank acct. faster than a crack addicted hooker.

procircuit
05-31-2012, 07:47 AM
ghey.

yoda604
05-31-2012, 08:40 AM

Man for the money you will spend on the axle, you could build yours bullet proof. plus it's pretty much just as much work if not more, to switch out the axles.

Cyanide
05-31-2012, 08:41 AM
thanks for the help nick, im gonna go with replacing the seals, cheaper and probably easier to do, I bought a haynes manual to help out

D-Ass
05-31-2012, 11:44 AM
thanks for the help nick, im gonna go with replacing the seals, cheaper and probably easier to do, I bought a haynes manual to help out

Bout time you said some thing that didnt sound like a fucktard sitting in the back of a short bus

Cyanide
05-31-2012, 12:57 PM
lol no problem-o buds!

Happypants
05-31-2012, 02:58 PM
lol lol