PDA

View Full Version : Time to get a quad

bcmaxx
04-19-2012, 09:27 AM
Yes, something I said I'd never do, but.....I need to get a quad, mostly for the misses. I have my bike and jeep, and she's a little left out. So I don't know my ass from a hole in the ground in the way of quads. We are looking for something reliable, 2 person capable and 650 ish cc's . Can anyone of you point me in the direction of what to choose? whats good, whats bad, what to stay far away from?

abec
04-19-2012, 01:19 PM
Honda yamaha suzuki brp all the same 650cc is a heavy quad i run a little 350 honda in the bush works great

Redneck Lincoln
04-19-2012, 01:50 PM
polaris all the way!!

Dreded
04-19-2012, 02:48 PM
funny you ask this question.. I just wrote a long post on kawieriders arguing that a heaver 650 cant go as many placed as a lighter 400cc quad and the extra weight makes it harder to handle for a smaller rider(women etc) then I ended up looking at the weight differences and it turns out the curb weight of my '02 650 prairie(Brute force) is 600lbs and a 360 prairie is 640lbs I also looked up a TON of other quads and a 400cc kodiak comes in at 600lbs an 400cc eiger is 580lbs and a 400cc grizzly is 600lbs and for comparisons sake a 700 grizzly is 650lbs why the 360 prairie is heaver than the 650 I have no idea as only the engine is different.. its heavier than other 400cc classed quads because it has the full locking front etc which most 400cc class dont

So as it turns out weight really isn't a huge issue unless you are going to the 350cc class which mostly weigh around 500lbs

Personally I have ridden quite a # of different machines and I like my '02 650 Prairie(Brute force) more than any quad I have ever ridden mainly due to the front locking diff as its not just an electric on off diff its a variable pull lever so I can pull it half on to lock the wheels up a sand hill but still be able to turn almost normally where as a electric locking diff is very difficult to turn when locked which could potentially cause an issue if you find an obstacle while going up hill I also don't need to stop to lock my front diff(still need to stop or be going really slow to engage 4x4) which means I am more likely to use it while crossing a mud pit at speed and wont get stuck in the first place

One other thing to consider is people have been quadding for years and years and before 2001 as far as I know a 4x4 atv over 400cc didn't exist the only real advantage to a larger engine is being able to pop wheelies at speed and a faster top end.. the low end grunt will be very similar for trail riding situations if I was buying a 4x4 ATV for my GF it would be a 350-400

crazylike
04-19-2012, 02:59 PM
get a 660 or 700 grizzly and ride worry and problem free for years...

Honky
you would be a fool not to get a Yamaha

Honky
...yeah what Crazy said

...everything else is a mistake

Dreded
04-19-2012, 03:04 PM
also there is a lot more maintenance on a 650+ atv as they are pushing those poor thing to the limit of power etc

If you want something that will last forever and ever plus have good power get a Honda Foreman 500 only quad I consistently come across thats over 10yrs old with no work done start like its new everytime

You know your GF/Wife better than us is she the type to do a lot of ridiculous mud pit crossing? are you? if so the power from a 650 etc is nice to fling that mud but a 500 will do almost just as well it REALLY REALLY is more about rider experience

Deggs
04-19-2012, 03:04 PM
Get power steering.

I ride a brute and it's aptly named as the ride is pretty rough... the CG is a tad high on the brute but the lever lock is nice and it has tons of balls.

For the missus I would look at the grizzly. push button lock is going to be less hassle and the CG is nice and low. It's considered and "old man" quad because of how easy it is to ride.

It'll probably be my next quad.

Honky
04-19-2012, 03:09 PM
when we going ridding again?

Dreded
04-19-2012, 03:10 PM
you would be a fool not to get a Yamaha
i dunno about being a fool but the grizzly is definitely a machine id consider buying. If it had the Brute force style diff lock and wet brake system it would be a no brainer for me [36] but as it is its a tough toss up between the two for me

Dreded
04-19-2012, 03:13 PM
Get power steering.

I ride a brute and it's aptly named as the ride is pretty rough... the CG is a tad high on the brute but the lever lock is nice and it has tons of balls.

For the missus I would look at the grizzly. push button lock is going to be less hassle and the CG is nice and low. It's considered and "old man" quad because of how easy it is to ride.

It'll probably be my next quad.
CG of brute is lowest of most quads as its gas tank is below rear seat instead of above it and the air filter is located THE HIGHEST of all 4x4 quads as its where the gas tank usually is, this also give it a 54/46 balance point which makes it great for jumping :p

For misses the grizzly's power steering would sure help on long rides

-nikki-
04-19-2012, 03:13 PM
dont buy polaris they guzzle gas BIG TIME

Dreded
04-19-2012, 03:22 PM
when we going ridding again?
if I get my Low Range fixed I was going to head out sunday... otherwise I was gonna spend sunday splitting the case to fix it(previous owner KICKED it into gear so this issue isnt the ATV's fault) only problem is I wont know till saturday if low works :p could always do a ride anyhow just not that SUPER STUMPY/Root shit we did last time.. normal trail riding I don't need low for it would just be nice... but if we do a group ride again dont leave me behind at the house this time ;)

Dreded
04-19-2012, 03:24 PM
dont buy polaris they guzzle gas BIG TIME
I second the no Polaris but only one I have dealt with is a friends and he has nonstop issues could have just gotten a lemon it happens.. but after a year of riding he has had to have front and rear diff replaced, plastics look like they went through a war zone and his flip over switch kicks in when driving up steep hills he is rough on shit but it was brand new when he got it and did proper break in... he ended up selling it and bought a grizzly this year says its night and day of difference grizzly is much better

Deggs
04-19-2012, 03:32 PM
Mine's an '06. I didn't do the math, I just go by how it feels to ride vs others I've tried and the CG feels higher, could be my tires factor in too.

Dreded
04-19-2012, 03:37 PM
Mine's an '06. I didn't do the math, I just go by how it feels to ride vs others I've tried and the CG feels higher, could be my tires factor in too.
maybe one of these days when we are both on a ride together we could swap for a little bit and see how the others machine feels... Mine has a Dynatek CDI, and a HMF Performance Series slip on otherwise our machines should be identical and Iv always felt my CG feels low... you have a lift or anything? Oh I also have fox shocks up front as stock ones where a little soft and when coming down from a small jump they used to bottom out.. I also weigh 300lbs

Honky
04-19-2012, 03:43 PM
let me know when your ready. I have a new trail behind the house I want to try.....full days hard ridding

bcmaxx
04-19-2012, 03:47 PM
All great info! thanks! keep in coming, so reconsidering the 650, look more to a 500, and old friend had an old 400 honda, and it reminded me of those little shriners guys on the little cars in parades in comparison to a normal quad

Dreded
04-19-2012, 04:04 PM
Oh now back to the original topic... One more point for yamaha is that their CVT is the most superior as its belt is ALWAYS tight so the belts hardly wear at all.. A typical CVT slackens the belt when at idle so the belt is wearing a TINY bit against drive pulley.. The more I think about it If you have not ridden a Brute force or Prairie and gotten used to the awesome Front DIff lock my vote is now for the Grizzly as you wont know you are missing the Superior Diff Lock. also the stock shocks on grizzly is better

Some Videos comparing Grizzly to Brute and polaris... http://www.yamaha-motor.com/outdoor/products/advantages/534/1/0/advantages.aspx

Those videos are a little bias while true Kawasaki does recommend inspecting belt every 90days OF RIDING(they dont say of riding in video) its a 10min process tops and I could change it in another 10min even out on the trail with no special tools I simply check the belt everytime I am doing the oil

Honky
04-19-2012, 04:14 PM
but the griz has diff locks:dontknow: what makes the brute better?

Deggs
04-19-2012, 04:22 PM
Ya I'd be into that, I'm 185. The bike's pretty much stock short of 26" mud lites, and a chip.
I bought it used, and its been ridden hard, due for a full service before I run it this season.

Dreded
04-19-2012, 04:31 PM
but the griz has diff locks:dontknow: what makes the brute better?
as I stated earlier ;) on the grizz you have to STOP and engage diff lock, the brute/prairie diff lock is essentially a Limited Slip style clutch pack that you can tighten with a diff lock lever(requires 7lbs of force on lever to fully lock front solid) which means when you are going up a steep hill at 30km/h and start to slow down you can pull that diff lock while still moving and make it up and not worry about if you can get moving again on such a steep hill... other usage is that you can lock the front diff when coming up to a mud pit without stopping so you are more likely to engage it in "just in case" situations as it doesn't require stopping

One more common usage is pulling the diff "lock" half on so you still get tires locked while climbing a sand hill but if you need to turn sharply suddenly you can.. I fine example of this is on the sand hill at 35k east harrison i drove up the loose sand area(NOT the worn path up middle of hill) but ended up driving towards worn path(2' drop) and if I had been fully locked I would have had to stop and roll down backwards but I just let go of the diff lever turned away from the drop and pulled it back on

Watch the video on the yahama site about it, keeping in mind that there is no electronics to EVER become an issue and there is about 4" of cable tension adjustment on it so the cable would be unlikely to ever need replacing.

It sounds like it would be difficult to reach for in use but its actually very intuitive and you dont even think about it and only requires 1 or 2 fingers to pull all the way on(like short brake levers on a bike the pros use so they don't smash fingers)

For $15 you can get a pen lock that will lock the lever engaged but this defeats the purpose if you ask me

Dreded
04-19-2012, 04:41 PM
the more of those yamaha comparison videos I watch the more ridiculous they seem... the Brute/polaris rider is constantly fumbling about and making everything look ridiculously hard while the grizzly rider is all calm and the video is edited to make even tough areas look easier for the grizzly like in the EPS comparison the Kawie rider is constantly making HARD left turns going over rocks while grizzly goes over effortlessly.. something tells me its not the rocks pushing the Kawie hard left lol

Honky
04-19-2012, 04:43 PM
you have to stop to Engage the locker?...have I been doing it wrong all this time?

lol

Dreded
04-19-2012, 04:51 PM
you have to stop to Engage the locker?...have I been doing it wrong all this time?

lol
thats what the manual and yamaha website says :p but I don't know from personal experience only time I used it I stopped first :p

To quote the rediculous comparison video "ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS STOP, and Select this button"

Dreded
04-19-2012, 05:09 PM
Im sure as with any electronic gear engagement system(4x4/diff lock) as long as you are doing under 10-15kph and both wheels being locked are rotating at same speed its no issue to engage while moving for example on the prairie if I engage the 4x4 button while doing over 12km/h it just waits till I slow down to 12 or below to try and engage it.. just seems to me(and apparently yamaha) that you are unlikely to lock the front diff unless one of your wheels is already spinning in which case you wouldn't want to try and engage them

Happypants
04-19-2012, 05:20 PM
I bought mine a broken jeep for her to drive instead of a quad :D

longhorn
04-19-2012, 09:22 PM
Ive got a 2012 Polaris 800 and its a great machine.
Rides nice and has lots of power............. but the best part is I bought it brand new for $5495 , show me any other 800's you can buy for $5495.

Check out the prices at Spectra Powersports in Williams Lake they are the cheapest dealer in Western Canada and most parts of the US.

You could save $4000 easily .

Check out there prices I aint shitting you.
And no I dont work for them I dont even particulary like them they just got good deals .

toyon35s
04-19-2012, 09:27 PM
brute force ...nuff said [cheers]

longhorn
04-19-2012, 10:11 PM
brute force ...nuff said [cheers]

Yup ad how much is a brand new Brute Force?

Dreded
04-19-2012, 10:19 PM
Yup ad how much is a brand new Brute Force?
iv seen brand new grizzly's for $6200 for a 0 mile last year model

If you are going to buy new and are not financing through the dealer there is a simple trick I saw in a video a while back to get the lowest possible price, this works for cars too.. Phone up the dealer and say "I am buying a new Brute Force 750 TODAY at 5pm and I am phoning all the dealers in a 200km radius(or however far you want to search) whats your best price? If you have the best price I will buy it from you" They will say you have to come in tell them
"I understand you don't think you have the best price and don't want to waste my time or your time" Then they will say but if I give you my best price the next guy is just going to beat it by $20
You reply with "Well then if they can beat it by $20 I am sure you can too so give me your best price with all taxes and fees included and I will get a cashiers cheque for the lowest amount I am quoted over the phone and if that price changes when I walk in the door I am going to leave and go to the next lowest price"

Cwheeler
04-20-2012, 11:41 PM
another vote for a Grizz, ive got a 2011 grizzly 550 and other then the shit dunlops it came with (a set of swamplites fixed that) I love the thing

kootenaycat
04-20-2012, 11:43 PM
Justin, if you're going to be doubling lots get a factory built 2 up, not one with the stupid quadbox/seat on the back rack. The wife will beat you senseless the first time you roll that thing over backwards on top of yourselves! :D

CanAm for sure for a 2-up. Reliable, lots of power even in the 500cc. Don't let the visco lock scare ya, it works pretty well, not as good as a locker but damn close.

Now if you want a single seater for her that's another story. Stay away from the old school Hondas. My Grizzly is super tough/reliable but rides like a old Caddy vs a Porsche, nice and cushy but leans like a bastard in high speed corners.

How'd you make out with Teck? Couple guys I know started this month.