PDA

View Full Version : rear bumper winch idea

TheGreatWhiteMoose
04-19-2012, 02:52 AM
So I'm not sure if this is the right place but in the somewhat near future im having a heavy duty rear bumper built and am toying with a few ideas right now and this is one of them, a hand crank cargo winch for self recovery on the rear (cheap and reliable from my understanding) with a good bar for cranking i imagine you could get my truck out of some pretty nasty spots

ya or nay?

and would it really be that dangerious to use a winch like that for a 3200LBS truck? i would think it would be safe cause the truck is so light but i dont know so what do you guys think?

http://www.princessauto.com/pal/product/8282477/Mounted-Winches/Low-Profile-Side-Mount-Weld-On-Cargo-Winch

StinkFinger
04-19-2012, 06:32 AM
you can winch a fef feet befor it binds up thouse are intended for strapping loads down not towing so they cant spool much

Happypants
04-19-2012, 07:26 AM
When u do this and get stuck I will pay to watch you try and pull yourself out using that :D

procircuit
04-19-2012, 08:15 AM
bad idea. go with a 6000 lb electric if u can stuff it in..

Sultan Steve
04-19-2012, 08:17 AM
Not what it is intended for at all it is only meant to hold a strap on a flatbed. Don't waste your money.

:ballsmack

yoda604
04-19-2012, 11:07 AM
carry a farm jack and use it as a come along, way more reliable and versatile

Trailjunkie
04-19-2012, 11:21 AM
carry a farm jack and use it as a come along, way more reliable and versatile

or just carry a come along , a chain hoist and a high jack. ive used all three for recovery and they work. that being said i now have a receiver front and rear and my winch on a cradle so i can easily winch from front or rear .it don't get any better than that .

Happypants
04-19-2012, 12:14 PM
Fuck man!! I wanted to see
Him try this!!!

levigardiner
04-19-2012, 02:05 PM
uhhhh, yeah...i'd just buy a come along, same principle, far more effective. if the hand crank option is what your looking for. i just have a high lift and it works very well.....just takes a while

fullsizebronco
04-19-2012, 07:15 PM
as much as i would love to see this used as well i just dont thinks its safe or effective just buy a come along and you can use it front to back and throw it in the box when your done.. a come along chain hoist and a high lift have also been really good to me!!!

Balls First
04-19-2012, 07:20 PM
lol

That is all.

Punk in Drublic
04-19-2012, 07:30 PM
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQh4C9QHnY0t87180BALQBhtc6ik1Cxr dCX9m3g5ISMp1T3lt6mbQ

Happypants
04-19-2012, 07:45 PM
I bought a winch and use it all the time lol

vajayjay
04-19-2012, 08:10 PM
Ask Mark what a hand crank will do to your hand:eek:

D-Ass
04-20-2012, 02:04 AM
I bought a winch and use it all the time lol

and U say this like its a good thing! :confused0006:

TheGreatWhiteMoose
04-20-2012, 02:50 AM
well i do have a comealong with chains and tow straps and i busted the handle (on my good come along, i fucking mangled my cheap one from crappy tire) getting out so I was looking for a cheaper solution thats still reliable rather then shelling the money out for a winch because I hate buying cheap shit for obvious reason and a little more insight, it would be more used for snow/ice then mud and trails because i steer clear of mud and most trails cause im 2WD

but long story short i guess i shouldn't be such a cheap ass and buy the proper equipment for what i want to do

vajayjay
04-20-2012, 06:13 AM
well i do have a comealong with chains and tow straps and i busted the handle (on my good come along, i fucking mangled my cheap one from crappy tire) getting out so I was looking for a cheaper solution thats still reliable rather then shelling the money out for a winch because I hate buying cheap shit for obvious reason and a little more insight, it would be more used for snow/ice then mud and trails because i steer clear of mud and most trails cause im 2WD

but long story short i guess i shouldn't be such a cheap ass and buy the proper equipment for what i want to do

Such as a 4 wheel drive :confused0006:

Happypants
04-20-2012, 06:28 AM
and U say this like its a good thing! :confused0006:

To pull everyone else out :D

TheGreatWhiteMoose
04-20-2012, 06:40 AM
Such as a 4 wheel drive :confused0006:

i got the truck with low K for cheap im just gonna drive it till the wheels fall off then get a 4X4 so for now im just gonna drive it because i have no real reason for a 4X4 my 2WD gets me where i need to go with my tire chains and weight in the bed

trailburban
04-20-2012, 08:46 PM
um... why not get a winch carrier and keep the winch either up front or in the bed of the truck (on a receiver bracket), then when you need it in the rear you just unplug from the front and plug it in the rear.

Balls First
04-20-2012, 10:15 PM
Why waste the money? sell the truck and buy a 4x4

TheGreatWhiteMoose
04-21-2012, 03:07 AM
um... why not get a winch carrier and keep the winch either up front or in the bed of the truck (on a receiver bracket), then when you need it in the rear you just unplug from the front and plug it in the rear.

that sir is a grade A idea

Why waste the money? sell the truck and buy a 4x4

why do gangster buy a $80 hat and wear it sideways? because its what they want

so simply put, because its what I want its mostly going to be for show and i think if your gonna have a truck mostly for apperiance i dont think having 4X4 is a huge issue i only do light offroading in my truck not like what you guys do, my hardcore offroading is for my bike

and P.S. the other reason im doing this is I'm getting a good deal on material and labour threw a buddy

trailburban
04-23-2012, 11:31 PM
a 2wd with a posi or locker'd rear can do pretty damn close to a 4x4 with open front and rears.

also, if you make a bed mount receiver mount for the winch, you could make it functional so as to pull things into the box.

TheGreatWhiteMoose
04-24-2012, 02:22 AM
a 2wd with a posi or locker'd rear can do pretty damn close to a 4x4 with open front and rears.

also, if you make a bed mount receiver mount for the winch, you could make it functional so as to pull things into the box.

believe it or not, you can get the Z71 Colorado's (2WD or 4X4) rear axle with a 4.10 gears and locker its the Eaton G80 and i thinks its a 100RPM difference in the tires and it locks up until i think 30 KPH then it unlocks and wont lock over 30 KPH when I'm feeling adventurous i might get one and swap the rear out for it

but i also think about just adding a hitch on the new rear bumper and a hitch on the front then just get a winch on a receiver so it go from front to back but im just weighing out all my options right now so i can make an informed decision and the best one for me so i appreciate any input/ideas i can get

youngun
04-24-2012, 10:19 AM
i got the truck with low K for cheap im just gonna drive it till the wheels fall off then get a 4X4 so for now im just gonna drive it because i have no real reason for a 4X4 my 2WD gets me where i need to go with my tire chains and weight in the bed

sas :D

youngun
04-24-2012, 10:20 AM
when I'm feeling adventurous i might get one and swap the rear out for it

I got one :eek:

TheGreatWhiteMoose
04-25-2012, 04:49 AM
I got one :eek:

you're 100% sure it's the 4.10 locker?