PDA

View Full Version : The Newb and his Ranger

Bam Bam
03-29-2012, 09:38 AM
Ok, to be perfectly honest I'm just your average FSR road type guy who occasionally wanders off the beaten track. That being said, if I had a lifted vehicle I'd be a lot more adventurous. I use the truck for hunting and am pretty impressed where the Ranger can go just as she sits now.

Quick bio: 2010 Ford Ranger 4x4 FX4. It's basically a Sport with the FX4 package but has the 410's in it. Ok now for the questions :confused0006:

1. Skyjacker or Superlift? Want 4 to 6" lift.
2. Good place to get it?
3. Any good backyard mechanic recommendations? I'd be willing to help out/pass beers etc. I don't go back dredging on the Titan till June so I have some time to kill.

Any pointers (besides buying a Jeep/Toyota etc) would be great thanks!
[cheers]

apefrill
03-29-2012, 09:46 AM
You know now they're all gonna tell you to buy a Jeep or Toyota right?

yoda604
03-29-2012, 09:55 AM
[stupid] Welcome to the site. Sorry to hear about the ford. Hope you get an answer to what you're looking for.

T 'n' A Barbie
03-29-2012, 10:44 AM
You know now they're all gonna tell you to buy a Jeep or Toyota right?

JEEP !!!!

hehehehehe

stockwheels
03-29-2012, 11:29 AM
dont waist ur time with an ifs lift do a sas and at least its not a rusted out pos toyota or a jeep with a cracked frame

Chody
03-29-2012, 11:31 AM
superlift is junk, it just lowers the torsion bars, looks retarded. honestly i had a 03 fx4 level 2, if you just wanna have fun, get
3" body lift (i know everyone hates them but unless you want to sas it, there is no point in "lifts")
crank the T-bars up front
get 3 inch chevy drop shackles for the back.

with that combo, 33x12.5 mudders and some 15x10 wheels look amazing. and you can get into a lot of places without much worry of breakage.

heres what yours could look like with the mods i listed
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a80/puta0202/newtoyos020.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a80/puta0202/newtoyos015.jpg

Bam Bam
03-29-2012, 11:57 AM
I was hoping the Jeep/Toyota crowd weren't lurking in the Ford section :p

Thanks Chody, Ive got a few friends who are a lot more mechanically inclined than me and I'll show them what you posted. If by chance it's beyond them where's a good place to get it done?

Bam Bam
03-29-2012, 12:00 PM
superlift is junk, it just lowers the torsion bars, looks retarded. honestly i had a 03 fx4 level 2, if you just wanna have fun, get
3" body lift (i know everyone hates them but unless you want to sas it, there is no point in "lifts")
crank the T-bars up front
get 3 inch chevy drop shackles for the back.

with that combo, 33x12.5 mudders and some 15x10 wheels look amazing. and you can get into a lot of places without much worry of breakage.

heres what yours could look like with the mods i listed
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a80/puta0202/newtoyos020.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a80/puta0202/newtoyos015.jpg

Oh back when they had metal bumpers...nice truck!! I've already got plans to rip the plastic shit off the front of mine, buddy's going to make a real front end up for me.

yoda604
03-29-2012, 12:04 PM
I was hoping the Jeep/Toyota crowd weren't lurking in the Ford section :p

Thanks Chody, Ive got a few friends who are a lot more mechanically inclined than me and I'll show them what you posted. If by chance it's beyond them where's a good place to get it done?

We lurk everywhere. :D

But a good place, that I do a lot of my stuff with is dave at T&S Suspension in port kells. Sometimes he can be pricey, but he does the job right, and stands behind his work. He's been doing it for ever, and will know exactly what you need to do.

Bam Bam
03-29-2012, 12:25 PM
We lurk everywhere. :D

But a good place, that I do a lot of my stuff with is dave at T&S Suspension in port kells. Sometimes he can be pricey, but he does the job right, and stands behind his work. He's been doing it for ever, and will know exactly what you need to do.

Perfect! I live in Aldergrove...I don't mind spending the money if it's done right.

Bam Bam
03-29-2012, 12:30 PM
Just talked to Dave, going to see him Saturday. Says he's only done one body lift on a Ranger and it was an older one. Sounded like a straight up guy though...

Chody
03-29-2012, 12:44 PM
body lift is pretty straight forward(12 hours for a noob, 4 for a shop) (shop charges lots cuz it takes time), shackles are a couple bolts*2 hours noob time), torsion bar crank is just turning a bolt(15 mins noob time). i listed the easiest mods possible. for any how to's on these checkout www.ranger-forums.com

Bam Bam
03-29-2012, 04:17 PM
body lift is pretty straight forward(12 hours for a noob, 4 for a shop) (shop charges lots cuz it takes time), shackles are a couple bolts*2 hours noob time), torsion bar crank is just turning a bolt(15 mins noob time). i listed the easiest mods possible. for any how to's on these checkout www.ranger-forums.com

Haha sounds like you have your "noob" times down to a t eh. Thanks for the info!

Chody
03-29-2012, 04:24 PM
not having the right tools adds time. also only sometimes do you have to extend the rad hoses, ps hoses, and stuff like that.

Bam Bam
03-29-2012, 05:21 PM
Well thanks again...I'll be sure to take some before and after picks...

-spilly
03-29-2012, 10:22 PM
Bam Bam

In 2008 ford re indexed the torsion keys to make the rangers lower up front Being that your ranger is a 2010 if you put a 2007 and down torsion key up front you will gain as much as 3" lift with a modest crank. I happen to have given dave @ t&s my old keys from my 2006 ranger earlier this week. With the pre 2008 keys in and put belltech 6400 shackles (Chevy lowering shackles) in the back that will give you 1.5" -2" lift you ranger will have enough room to run a 33x10.5 or a 32x11.5.

If you did a body lift and the suspension mods I listed above you can run a 33x12.5 all day long without any problems. I had the 4" super lift and I must agree with Chody that it's pretty crappy. It's just a bracket lift, it's still totally stock suspension.

I am working with Dave on Saturday so hope to see you there!

Bam Bam
03-30-2012, 11:03 AM
Spilly, thanks for the tips! I;m going to be there around 10am ish if you guys are open then. See ya Saturday...

Reeseman
03-30-2012, 11:41 AM
where are the dents. Or is it a pavement Princess? bring it out lest geet it dirty.

Hellboy
03-30-2012, 04:26 PM
where are the dents. Or is it a pavement Princess? bring it out lest geet it dirty.

its a white one right with a shovel mounted on the canopy?

Pics are in events debriefing somewhere...

regulate34
03-30-2012, 09:49 PM
super lift are not junk. they are tuff as hell. but they ride ruff. if your hauling shit and using a truck like a truck like me then great. if you want to ride on clouds so you vagaina dont get sore then get a body lift.

ford frams a flexy bastars to begin with. chuck a body lift in their and you asking for trouble. i have had 2 exact trucks to compare this with. body lifts are great for working on you truck. thats good because you will work on it more.
thats just my 2 cents

Bam Bam
03-31-2012, 12:32 PM

Nope, mines black...no shovel.

Bam Bam
03-31-2012, 12:34 PM
super lift are not junk. they are tuff as hell. but they ride ruff. if your hauling shit and using a truck like a truck like me then great. if you want to ride on clouds so you vagaina dont get sore then get a body lift.

ford frams a flexy bastars to begin with. chuck a body lift in their and you asking for trouble. i have had 2 exact trucks to compare this with. body lifts are great for working on you truck. thats good because you will work on it more.
thats just my 2 cents

So no body lift and I'm back to a suspension lift? Haha well I'm on my way to talk to the guy in Port Kells...see what either option costs...

Bam Bam
03-31-2012, 12:36 PM

No dents, just the typical bush paint job. I use it for hunting so I'm more apt to drive it through bush than plant her in mud holes...mainly cuz I'm not set up for that yet...but I've gotten her into some tight spots just being stock...

Bam Bam
04-03-2012, 11:13 AM

thats just my 2 cents

I use the truck for hunting and camping, about all the Rangers good for. It's a Ranger so I'm not hauling fuck all with it, like I did with my F350 Diesel. I bought the truck cuz Brown Brothers Ford had me over a barrel with the piece of shit F350 they sold me so here I am with a truck that can only tow 3000lbs.

I don't know the difference between a lifted ride or a body lift ride. The 350 was ok for getting to the hunting spots but heavy as hell and sank in anything whereas the Ranger is great for moderate off roading and small enough to turn around on the slashes and get down the narrow goat trails. about as much as I could ask for out of a truck.

regulate34
04-03-2012, 02:40 PM
the body lift will leave you with a stock supention ride. you go with a suspention lift and things stiffen up. unless you go costom. pickup lifts are not as far along as jeep and yota stuff. ware they are used offroad alot more. rubicon express lifts are crazy soft. but shite for holding weight.

if you crank you torion pars up front you will get more bump steer and a stiffer ride.
you are right a ranger aint much of a weight hauler. new trucks are a bitch to body lift. their is alot to them. early 90s fords are a shifter gas filler and some wires. a lower rad hose with 300i6. not too bad.
also i dont know how much your temps will get effected with you rad 3" higher then your motor. can always do a eletric fas conversion if it dont got one.

Chody
04-03-2012, 03:06 PM
also i dont know how much your temps will get effected with you rad 3" higher then your motor.
the ranger body lifts come with 3" rad drop brackets[cheers]

Bam Bam
04-03-2012, 06:39 PM
the ranger body lifts come with 3" rad drop brackets[cheers]

Apparently my kits $299...I'm going through a suspension place in Port Kells. Sounding like 8hrs of labour or so...still waiting for the final verdict...

markiiu
04-03-2012, 10:18 PM

White one's me. I have the T-bars and chevy shackles, but no body lift. The ride seems better in the rear from stock, but worse in the front. I'd looked at the superlifts, but if I ever get a real lift I'm either SASing it or going with the DBR kit. Bracket lifts are like blocks.... crappy.
Welcome to another ranger, anyways!

Chody
04-04-2012, 09:58 AM
Apparently my kits $299...I'm going through a suspension place in Port Kells. Sounding like 8hrs of labour or so...still waiting for the final verdict...
if you get a shop to do it expect a 1000$. then just think... for another 1000$ you could have a shop SAS it.... id say do it yourself, or just keep saving.

Bam Bam
04-05-2012, 09:15 AM
if you get a shop to do it expect a 1000$. then just think... for another 1000$ you could have a shop SAS it.... id say do it yourself, or just keep saving.

Ya for sure, wait until the warranty runs out before I do that...I figured it be around that much...so with the lift/tires/steel rims I'll probably be around the $2500 mark...

And of course I'll need a new stereo...come on that's a gimme right??

skyjacker
04-07-2012, 12:43 AM
Yea body lift or straight up sas best way to go

4skin
04-07-2012, 03:27 AM
save your bucks add a locker in the rear and better tires
adding a body lift or suspension lift will probably affect your waranty
at least gives them a reason to deny some waranty work
when its off waranty then do a straight axle swap
works way better than the ttbi lifts

Bam Bam
04-07-2012, 12:21 PM
save your bucks add a locker in the rear and better tires
adding a body lift or suspension lift will probably affect your waranty
at least gives them a reason to deny some waranty work
when its off waranty then do a straight axle swap
works way better than the ttbi lifts

I deal with the diesel department at Brown Brothers for my warranty, I'll call them Monday. Funny how Fords like "Really? You want to lift your 4x4 Ranger...noooo...say it isn't so!!" Like wtf, don't they expect people to do that?? As for the axle swap I'll look at that a few years down the road. I'm usining the truck for hunting/camping so getting the body up and a bit bigger of a tire will do for now. I don't plan on shit kicking it either since I'm still paying for it for the next few years :P

4skin
04-07-2012, 01:40 PM
problem with a body lift is they tend to crack the body around the mounts
due to the increased leverage

Bam Bam
04-19-2012, 10:34 PM
problem with a body lift is they tend to crack the body around the mounts
due to the increased leverage

I've decided to go with a suspension lift but have to wait until I'm finished crane school.