PDA

View Full Version : drive is sluggish?

tonkagirl
02-29-2012, 08:56 PM
ok guys and gals, my 90 cherokee has a sluggish drive gear, if i try to take off in drive it seems like my brakes are on even though they arent, if i drop it into 1-2 it takes of like it should, 3rd is a little sluggish but can still go, someone suggested maybe a vaccuum line off tranny, suggestions?:confused0006:

Hello Kitty
02-29-2012, 09:26 PM
J-E-E-P. :dontknow:

Take e brake off?
:D

Bent Black
02-29-2012, 09:35 PM
AHYA!!!! time for a small block chev!!!!! AHYA!!!!!!!!![36]

tonkagirl
02-29-2012, 11:07 PM
Seriously, the ebrake is off, motor is fine, 1-2 gear works fine it all works fine if i shift it manually, ideas please,

4skin
02-29-2012, 11:51 PM
trany isnt down shifting
itsa staying in third could be a vacume line or trans doing the jeep thing

tonkagirl
02-29-2012, 11:57 PM
I was thinking a vaccuum line, it works good as long as i shift it manually up, if i try to start out in drive it dont want to go rigt away, i hope i dont have to do a tranny job [M] [g]

Happypants
03-02-2012, 08:23 AM
Start checking your vaccume lines,

Also whens the last transmission service done?

bcmaxx
03-02-2012, 09:17 AM
there isnt a vacuum line going to the tranny at all, just a vent hose.try unplugging the throttle position sensor ( square four pin and oval 3 pin connector) at the throttle body and take it for a drive see if it makes any difference at all, could be your tps out of adjustment or malfunctioning. It tells your transmission when to shift in relation to your throttle opening angle, also try adjusting the transmission "kickdown" cable, make sure it appeard to be moving correctly. Theres a rod that goes between linkage at the throttle body on the side of the intake,if it has popped off it wont shift right. : http://www.allpar.com/SUVs/jeep/cherokee-transmission.html.

how is it running otherwise? lack of power in any other gear? and it works as normal if you manually shift up?

bcmaxx
03-02-2012, 09:23 AM
x2 on the tranny service? on these japanese trannys there is no filter, just a mesh pickup screen so all you need to do is the fluid. Dump a can of transmission seafoam into it ut a few km on it and dump the fluid, refill. only about 1/3 the fluid will come out this way so repeat the fluid dump fill 2-3 times. I like to do a drain and refill every oil change to keep the fluid clean and pink. HEAT is the killer of these transmissions, so maybe think about adding a aux cooler at some point if its any more than a daily driver, I run a B&m 20,000 lbgvw cooler in front of the rad

Momma Taz
03-02-2012, 09:24 AM
do you have overdrive? do you turn it off in the city for driving? that will make it sluggish.

Honky
03-02-2012, 10:02 AM
I see the problem.....

tonkagirl
03-02-2012, 11:13 AM
Thanks everyone, we will check everything tommorow, will keep you posted,