PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust systems

Joebobjack
02-27-2012, 10:52 PM
I'm looking to install an aftermarket exhaust on the 07 Ram cummins. The stock exhaust is just so friken restricted. I don't need aircare for a couple more years but when the time comes will I be ok??

BuckNaked
02-27-2012, 11:18 PM
yea cause if you had any sense you'd just bump your gvw that truck shouldnt need aircare anyways?

westcoaster
02-28-2012, 12:19 AM
If yours has a cat and particulate filter then aircare will check for those when it comes time to renew.

My '04 dodge diesel had it's muffler rust out. I replaced it with a straight piece of pipe. When I took it through aircare they didn't even look under the truck (then again mine didn't have a cat from the factory either)

When I lost the muffler and welded in a straight pipe my fuel economy went up 2-3mpg. Now I am looking into the MPRB exhaust systems....

96_z71
02-28-2012, 05:56 PM
Ya just up the GVW and ditch everything. 4" downpipe to either straight 3 or 4" to the tip would help open er up. Easier breathing, less turbo lag, few hp, loses weight and gain mpg, oh and sound badass.
oh yeah

kootenaycat
02-28-2012, 10:05 PM
How's the "drone" driving down the highway with no muffler? I want to put bigger diameter exhaust on mine and thinking of going straight pipe but don't want it driving me nuts on longer trips.

westcoaster
02-28-2012, 11:32 PM
For just regular driving I don't find it too bad. Actually, doesn't seem that much louder at all until you really start putting your foot into it.

It gets really ugly at 2500 rpm going up the snowshed with the camper on and flat towing the samurai... It just reverberates through the cab. Pass a truck or get beside the concrete barriers and the sound gets blasted back at you.

For regular driving running down the flat freeway (loaded or empty with the camper) you can still easly listen to the radio. It's when you drop a gear and mash the go pedal does it ever really reverberate.

edit:
what year truck? 2003 and up is when they started going with the common rail multi injection event engines. They are quite a bit quieter than the 2002 and older engines. That will also make a difference in the exhaust sound.

Nutbar
02-29-2012, 09:10 AM
[iagree]
I've got a 94 with 4inch straight pipe and it's no louder than any of the cummins I've heard with a large pipe and muffler exhaust system most of the time, untill you really get on it then it barks LOL. What I like with mine is you can hear more of the impellor noise from the turbo in the exhaust note.

Moondog
02-29-2012, 09:02 PM
I used to have a MRSB dual exhaust on my 05 Cummins I know have a Magnaflow quiet diesel performance exhaust and holy hell what a difference I did not realize how loud my truck was until I had the new exhaust fitted power output remains around the same but no more drone. If you are going to up your GVW to avoid aircare be warned they now will classify you as a commercial vehicle so when you go over the toll bridge (golden ears) you will now be charged $7 each way[16]

85chevy
03-01-2012, 04:26 PM
I used to have a MRSB dual exhaust on my 05 Cummins I know have a Magnaflow quiet diesel performance exhaust and holy hell what a difference I did not realize how loud my truck was until I had the new exhaust fitted power output remains around the same but no more drone. If you are going to up your GVW to avoid aircare be warned they now will classify you as a commercial vehicle so when you go over the toll bridge (golden ears) you will now be charged $7 each way[16]

All trucks are Commercial Vehicles if u look at the registration

Moondog
03-01-2012, 06:46 PM
All trucks are Commercial Vehicles if u look at the registration

If you up your GVW ICBC will now put you into the same classification as semi's etc you will also have to display your insurance decal on the front plate not the rear plate you will also incure the same charges on all toll roads / bridges as commercial vehicles. I have just increased mine they also increased my insurance by $120 now I am not sure it was worth it just to avoid aircare [16]

westcoaster
03-01-2012, 07:41 PM
What did you increase your GVW to?

harvester_sorrow
03-01-2012, 09:02 PM
What did you increase your GVW to?

word, there's a difference between 5001 and 5500

kootenaycat
03-08-2012, 07:03 PM
Good to know! Mine's a '06 5.9 common rail. I'm thinking I'll try straight pipe but leave room in the budget for a muffler if I don't like it. I haul the camper in the summer and sleds on the deck in the winter so usually under a bit of a load. Only way to find out is to try it! :D

For just regular driving I don't find it too bad. Actually, doesn't seem that much louder at all until you really start putting your foot into it.

It gets really ugly at 2500 rpm going up the snowshed with the camper on and flat towing the samurai... It just reverberates through the cab. Pass a truck or get beside the concrete barriers and the sound gets blasted back at you.

For regular driving running down the flat freeway (loaded or empty with the camper) you can still easly listen to the radio. It's when you drop a gear and mash the go pedal does it ever really reverberate.

edit:
what year truck? 2003 and up is when they started going with the common rail multi injection event engines. They are quite a bit quieter than the 2002 and older engines. That will also make a difference in the exhaust sound.

westcoaster
03-09-2012, 08:34 AM
Just bought the 4" turbo back S6104AL MBRP diesel exhaust for $393.99 (usd) shipped to my door. (no brokerage fees as I had it drop shipped from within Canada)
It wasn't so much the noise but my pipe kept falling apart. It'll be interesting going from the 3 1/2" pipe to thje 4" pipe. That'll change the way this thing sounds and where the drone/resonance happens at.

Roy
03-09-2012, 01:28 PM
I drive an 07 Ram with a 5.9. I put in a MBRP stainless exhaust. Thank goodness I kept the cat because the drone was terrible, especially while pulling my 5th. Put the cat back in and sound is perfect and still getting 22mpg on the highway (hand calculated).