PDA

View Full Version : 1st gen dodge Throwout bearing possibly? / driveshaft play?

thrillbilly
02-02-2012, 07:10 PM
First long freeway trip in the dodge and noticed two things.

Problem one is after I get off the freeway it seems to be a bad throwout bearing sound. When clutch is not pushed in, and idling, there's a grind. When I start out in low rpm in some gears, it grinds. When clutch is pushed in, no sound.
Although when I do quicker shifts it seems to maintain engine speed while clutch is pressed in between shifts. Could this be because of a bearing sticking a bit?

I thought it was vacuum issue at first cause when I shift the rpm didn't drop like usual it "hovered", if that makes sense.

Second issue, a PING metal sound from taking off from a stop. First thought u joints, but theyre fairly new and the old hand test showed no signs of play. In neutral the driveshaft can turn almost quarter turn freely. I was told it could be rear diff play but I'm convinced it's from the transfer case itself. Could there be slop or play in the t case at the front u joint?

Hope that all made sense, anything is appreciated.

Sonofx51
02-03-2012, 11:47 AM
I have that exact same ping. i thought it was u-joint, which maybe part of the problem but i found with mine its actually the rear output shaft bearing on the T-case.. go give yours a pull.

thrillbilly
02-03-2012, 02:43 PM
did you post this on another forum too? is it on a wrangler rubicon? if so i saw that somewhere else and it got me thinking cause the dshaft ujoints are fairly new so i dont see how theyd have play. how do you diagnose if its output shaft bearing on t case?

Sonofx51
02-03-2012, 04:36 PM
i'm driving a 93 W250 4x4 NP205
no posts on other forums
on mine the seal on the output shaft is leaking, and if you pull up/down and side to side you can see the play.

Sonofx51
02-03-2012, 11:12 PM
now that i think about it i had a 94 W150 4x4 that the rear pinion bearing was shot and it pretty much made the same sound.

thrillbilly
02-04-2012, 03:20 AM
I'll definitely check the play at both ends. Thanks alot for your input. !

78bronco
02-24-2012, 10:32 PM
sounds like a getrag 360 making noise on the syncro ring ;) getrags that are old are very noisy i ahve had good luck with 5w20 full synthetic oil and over fill by a 1 liter still a bit noise at low rpm but not sure if thats caused by my clutch set up or not

last i one i blew up was making a chain saw cutting alum at low rpm then it blew the side of the case out on the hwy when i went from 5th to 3rd to fuck with a turbo mustang :D

thrillbilly
04-02-2012, 11:52 PM
Haha this is concerning!
It's a 92 Power Ram 350 with a 360 and 4speed with overdrive.
Coulda sworn its a nv4500.
It's only bad at light throttle and medium speeds.

Still drive around and took'er up to harrison twice to visit lester, no issues.

Stumped.

hrd4mud
04-10-2012, 02:26 PM
I have a 92 gas powered 3/4 ton it has the nv4500 but I think the diesels kept the getrag till 93 and started using the nv4500 with the 94 redesign although some websites say dodge didnt use the nv4500 till 94 period.

You can tell if you look on drivers side just above the pto plate it will say getrag

also from the pics oi have seen of the getrag it has a cast iron tailhousing the nv is aluminum and bigger as 5th gear is housed inside it.

doesnt solve the problem for ya but least you will know what tranny you have.

my 96 diesel had a noisy throughout bearing, when I replaced the clutch I realized that the dodge slave is under constant pressure always pushing the throwout bearing in asked about it and was told thats normal for dodge, so could be that.

Ive also had dodge pulley issues on my gas trucks, i thought my throwout bearing was going but after further inspection replaced both pulleys and noise gone. They made a similar noise and with hood shut sounded like was coming from under truck.

kootenaycat
04-10-2012, 07:46 PM
Sounds like input bearing noise in the transmission. And check the u-joints first, easy fix. Also check u-joint caps/driveshaft flanges are tight

thrillbilly
04-23-2012, 08:31 PM
havent checked back here in awhile, still no issues. doing a lift and some maintanence so ill be getting new d shafts made and new u joints all around. hoping hrd4mud is right and its just a input with constant pressure. sure runs and drives good.