View Full Version : 1988 First Gen

01-14-2012, 10:59 AM
Starting a thread for my soon to be project.

1988 First Gen Runner
22RE - rebuilt 60k ago
Stock other than a grant steering wheel and i believe it to be a 1 inch body lift.
Going to pick it up in 6.5 Hours.
Will post pictures and list of things to be done to it

01-14-2012, 12:26 PM
Are ya back yet?

01-17-2012, 08:57 AM
Im back but aparently in the days i was gone snow decided to fall 2 feet deep and now highways are closed, on top of that whoever mixed the coolant for my new runner mixed to much water i went outside to start up my truck and the rad is frozen =[ no idea how im going to get it thawed its -25 right now and i dont have a garage -.-

01-17-2012, 12:49 PM
cover truck with tarp and stuff a heater under it and wait

01-17-2012, 12:57 PM
Sounds like the first project will be un freezing and tryin to start it.

01-17-2012, 03:42 PM
I pulled the rad and put it in my bath tub now i have the block plugged inn hopefully it heats it up enough to heat up all the antifreeze enough to get it to run some fresh stuff through, will have to put it on tomorrow tho because with the wind chill its -40

01-17-2012, 04:50 PM
try making a SMALL fire under the truck. do you have access to a tiger torch and some stove pipe? if not go to a truck shop near by and ask if you can borrow or rent one. the block heater should work though unless the element is fucked

01-17-2012, 05:13 PM
i could make a fire but that would require digging out my shed from 3 feet of snow and the 6 foot snow drift in front of the door. now when i reinstall the rad even if the motor is free and clear and the rad my heater core is probably going to be plugged solid too. would running the motor eventually free up the heater core provided the fuckin thing doesn't over heat. I hope to head isn't pooched it was just rebuilt 50,000km ago at a shop in kelowna

old codger
01-17-2012, 05:45 PM
Cover the vehicle with a tarp or plastic sheet to the ground to stop cold air
from slowing down the thawing out process, get an electric fire, put it on a block of wood or something to lift it off the ground, put a can or pail under your lower rad hose that you disconnected to catch the Antifreeze. Remove RAD CAP,disconnect Heater hoses, This WORKED for me, add more antifreeze to your cooling system, when you get it thawed out, check all your hoses
to make sure they didn,t crack when they expanded by the frost!!.
I wouldn't recomend lighting a fire under it! as fire and GAS powered Vehicles DO NOT HAVE A GOOD REPUTATION!! :) :)

01-17-2012, 05:49 PM
truth, the tarp will have to wait until tomorrow or possible a few days from now, the electric heater as well, i dont live in town and the wife takes the blazer too work mon-fri haha if i send her to get it she will come back with a blanket and a toaster -_-

01-17-2012, 08:28 PM
the longer you wait more chance of damage being caused

01-18-2012, 06:03 AM
yes but unfortunately i have to go to work, theres nothing i can do about it now, its plugged in and the rads out just gotta hope for the best.

01-18-2012, 06:42 PM
So i have good news and i have bad news.
The good:
The truck is under a tarp with the engine bay wrapped in a blanket with a 1200w heater under it and its working.... so far.
The Bad:
popped the oil cap off and there was a very small amount of cream on the top of the cap, none in the oil in the valve cover tho and when i pulled the dipstick there was about 1-2mm of cream on the very top of it. hoping that it was residual moisture from when it was rebuilt before but chances are the head is fucked which means i have to get her machined.

The even more bad:
Called the shop 2 minutes down the road here is how the conversation went
Me "how much would you charge to do a headgasket on a 4 cyclinder"
shop " What year?" Me "1988 4runner 22re motor"
Shop "Were not interested in that kind of work right now" then he hung up
what a fuckin douche nozzle -_- looks like i have to try and find someone with a garage and hope i can borrow it for a weekend.

01-21-2012, 06:40 PM

Rad is back on - drivers side support welds are broken tho so really its just 2 bolts and a rad hose holding it up... for now, think i might put my spare v6 rad in it.
New hoses - check
Does the bitch leak - NO! other than a tiny dribble out of the t-stat housing but i have a new t stat just dont have the seal for it gonna get that on sunday.
Checked the oil again and the cream that i saw in it before is gone checked oil again after it ran for a while and i took it up and down the road and it still had no cream.
Have a spare skid plate from my old 2nd gen that is in minty fresh condition im going to slap on it. Gotta paint it tho black is to boring so i found some nice Dark Blue heavy duty spray paint at the shop at work we use to paint our trucks.

The only bad other than the leaking t stat is i noticed a bunch of fluid all over my cross member and down the drivers side cv boot, traced it back to a leaky power steering pump. will post up some new pics of the beast tomorrow for now it is to dark to do so.

Hello Kitty
01-21-2012, 07:31 PM
That cream stuff you'll notice REAL bad if the head gasket was gone. :D

01-21-2012, 08:02 PM
ya i know that :P

i did take 3 years of automotive tech....

Hello Kitty
01-21-2012, 08:43 PM

Should have been meteorologist :confused0006:

01-21-2012, 11:12 PM

and youre calling a shop to do a head gasket:dontknow:

01-21-2012, 11:26 PM
and youre calling a shop to do a head gasket:dontknow:

hahaha..........i agree though unless times an issue

01-22-2012, 08:05 AM
cant do a head gasket in a gravel parking lot in -20 weather.

01-22-2012, 02:01 PM
yes you can. grab some 2x2's and a tarp and build a little structure and keep things warm the best you can. materials will cost you 100ish. getting a shop to do it....a hell of a lot more

01-22-2012, 03:09 PM
good thing i dont have to do the head and second that idea is nice for the summer and all but in the winter with 50+ km/hr winds and random dumps of 40cm of snow that idea would literally come crashing down around me.

Ordered Body lift today and new steering pump seeing as the one i have shit the bed on me. having trouble on deciding what intake to put on it seeing as K&N is 270ish bucks and i want to relocate the intake to where the battery is anyways. Going to order some 33's tomorrow and my wheel spacers as well.
To Do Tomorrow:
Swap plugs
Prep new skid plate for paint
Wire in new plugs for stereo
Wire rear speakers
Plug some holes in the body that seem to let air in and find the squeeky noise comming from my removable top

01-22-2012, 04:09 PM
well hello my good friend. glad she wasnt a total fuck up. cant wait to see some mods when the camping trip happens, unless you bring it to town before then

01-24-2012, 11:18 AM
Stereo = 2 hour nightmare
Lift tires and bumper next week hopefully.
Pics to come.

01-24-2012, 02:40 PM
lift and tires....what tires this is news to me wtf! haha

01-24-2012, 03:24 PM
33's i ordered some km2's and pitbull rockers this way i can look at em both and decide which ones i want