PDA

View Full Version : Broke my tcase shifter linkage

Hellboy
12-19-2011, 06:47 AM
EDIT:
Okay after I went under the truck (after about a week of not wanting to deal with it), it turned out to take me about 2 minutes to make it shift back into 2HI if I'd only have looked in the first place [16] It shifts into and out of 2HI - 4HI - 4LO like it used to before now...

Anyway, I got some pics of what it looks like, I think I'm missing a piece because there is this big shiny section and it's the only thing underneath the truck not dirty.. Got some pics anyhow:

the first pic I edited to give you guys an idea of what your looking at and what the problem is (was?). The blue circled 'rod' got disconnected from the green circled 'bracket'... Arrows show you which way is which according to how I took the picture. The blue is also the 'shiny area' which I think I may be missing a bushing or something I dunno.

http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd496/93pathy/Shifterlinkage.jpg

The rest of the pics are all taken from the same view as the last one.

http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd496/93pathy/IMG_16891.jpg

http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd496/93pathy/IMG_16901.jpg

Sorry for grainy pics it's a cell phone... Hope the arrows helped, I know I hate looking at pictures of parts without an idea of which way I'm looking at them...

Old post (if for nothing else than to laugh that I took over an hour to drive home for the sake of a 2 minute fix if I got outta my truck to look):

Anyway after I very fun nightrun to the Eagle viewpoint, I got back down to the bottom to realize my 4x4 shifter was fuckered. Flops around and feels like it isn't connected to anything. Not sure what I broke exactly, but I'm stuck in low range now... Maybe something just came 'unhooked', to do with my tcase drop kit :confused0006: .

Anyhow, I found that out at 4:15 am. It's now 5:40am and I literally got home 5 minutes ago. Normally a five minute drive. I could drive to chilliwack faster normally. Anyway I'm flippin tired will look into it more tomorrow if I get around to it... If not I'll just go to Hope then deal with it when I'm back.

Oh yeah, any ideas? :dontknow:

Happypants
12-19-2011, 09:08 AM
The end prolly popped outta the t-case shifter linkage, the bushings like to fall apart sometimes,

64CJ6Willy
12-22-2011, 01:46 PM
So what was the fix? I got a yj I'm scrappin out if anything fits for ya. Pretty sure there's an entire shifter around here somewhere after I gave the tranny away.

Hellboy
12-30-2011, 10:19 AM
bump...

Halo
12-30-2011, 12:43 PM
fuuuuuck. i dealt with that for like a year. put a cable shifter in. looks like the bushing is missing and the arm has been sliding in and out, making it shiny.

Happypants
12-30-2011, 12:55 PM
What was it? You fix it?

Griswold
12-30-2011, 01:00 PM
Bummer buuurp

Hellboy
12-30-2011, 02:11 PM
What was it? You fix it?

look at the pic with the fancy MS Paint work I did... the blue circled object came completely disengaged from the green circled thing. I simply used common sense and plugged it back in, so to speak... But it seems obvious something is missing that used to be there, but it does shift now and if it breaks again I know how to fix it...

Griswold
12-30-2011, 02:38 PM
Well that's good to here..... now it's wheeling time again....

bcmaxx
12-30-2011, 02:51 PM
Mine did the same one day, I blame it on a tcase lowering kit messing up the angle of operation, worn engine and transmission mounts. I installed more motor mounts and a new trans mount and got new bushings for the linkage from jeep and it has been good. I ended up making some new linkage because I didnt like the slop and feel of the stock stuff http://www.funinbc.com/forum/showthread.php?t=95548

Happypants
12-30-2011, 03:11 PM
I didn't see you edited your first post lol

Best thing to do is get a sye kit! Then a new rear driveshaft, then you don't have to worry about motor mounts,tranny mounts, that stuff

Hellboy
12-30-2011, 03:50 PM
I didn't see you edited your first post lol

Best thing to do is get a sye kit! Then a new rear driveshaft, then you don't have to worry about motor mounts,tranny mounts, that stuff

Until i get into some cashflow ill probably just replace bushings and hope for the best lol