PDA

View Full Version : 2003 Chev 4x4 skipping??

godtool
12-12-2011, 09:21 AM
So when driving along in 2 High and hit my push button t-case selector and shift into 4 High I hear grating noise as it engages. As far as I know this engaging occurs in front diff or ??. Then about a week after that started when I put he skinny pedal to the floor in 4H or 4L I hear a loud click\skipping noise coming I think from front drivers hub. I put new cv axles in front a year ago and drivers unit bearing maybe 6 years ago. Passenger front unit bearing done about 2 yrs ago. I jacked the front end up and cv axles seem fine yet front drivers hub makes a squeaking noise when you rotate tire back and forth when jacked up off ground. So this loud clicking noise... can it come from a hub slipping or what??:confused: Going to pull drivers side apart today and see if I can see or feel anything really obvious. There is 300,000 kms on truck and front diff and tcase never been apart.

85chevy
12-12-2011, 04:33 PM
Check the Actuator? because ur always spinning the t-case and front output shaft on it

64CJ6Willy
12-12-2011, 04:41 PM
Yep get a cable actuator and get rid of the electric one. Posi-lock I think it's called.

Punk in Drublic
12-12-2011, 06:03 PM
yea posi lock[36]

198 bux + tax, stock actuator is 150 and suck balls. this cable is the way to go.

godtool
12-13-2011, 07:06 AM
Well there is an electric gizmo on front passenger side of diff. Is trhat the actuator? Who stocks this cable and does it attach to t-case??

godtool
12-13-2011, 07:37 AM
I found out about posi-lock on internet. It says in the troubleshooting guide at: http://www.4x4posi-lok.com/

"Remove TLA. Insert six (6) inch dowel rod and push the fork until it stops. Check for free movement of the fork and shift collar [Fig. 3]. (To ensure spline alignment, slight rotation of one axle may be necessary.) If the shift fork and collar slide freely, reinstall the TLA and see step 2. If the shift fork and collar do not slide freely, there may be internal differential damage due to incomplete actuator engagement. Major differential service is required and must be repaired before proceeding."

So is the clicking a grating noise during shifting the actuator not fully engaging? Frig, I hope the grating noise does not mean internal damage... I'm going to call the guy at http://www.4x4posi-lok.ca/ since its a Vancouver number and see if I can get a cable system for my 03. On the website it does not list one for an 03.

godtool
12-13-2011, 08:16 PM
Turns out no posi-lock for 03 Silverado. I checked actuator and it works fine. The only thing I see that has excessive play is the front yoke that goes into the t-case. It move up and down 1/8" or more. I was told from the guy at posi-lock that the splines inside that yokje could be stripped and slipping underr excessive load, like when I put the pedal to the metal. When I switch from 4Low to 4High while in neutral there is a loud jarring clunk. My rear yoke that slides into back of transfercase has some up and down slop too yet not near as much as front driveshaft yoke coming out of t-case.

Going to have it road tested tommorrow by GM. Hopefully its an easy fix.

64CJ6Willy
12-14-2011, 02:15 AM
So?
What size did GM make your Sphincter?

godtool
12-15-2011, 08:21 AM
You mean the spline on the front of the t-case?

procircuit
12-15-2011, 10:12 AM
implying by going to gm you got raped..

godtool
12-23-2011, 01:26 PM
My mechanic buddy figures the front ds is binding. Both ujoints have 300,000 kms on them so maybe once I take it off there may be some binding that I can feel by hand or see. GM wanted $$ to put it on hoist so I left. If its ty-case buddy said we can fix it on the truck. Will take front ds off in new year, check it and drive truck without it on if needed in 4H to see if sound goes away....