PDA

View Full Version : Axel Wideing

TWOZEROFOUR
12-07-2011, 12:17 PM
So with out digging thru 200page pirate threads i thought i would ask the locals. I know i can do a v6 caliper swap and lc rotors with if hubs to gain the width. Although i have never had any issues with my 4cyl calipers and non vented rotors. When im commign down big grades out here im usally 1st L w/5.29's so i don't usally use brakes.

so.. Can i just use the ifs hub with my stock brakes to gain the width?

im sure Rc Cruiser,Young gun, Atoyot ect can help with this answer.

don't feel like buying spacers and have ifs hubs laying around.

youngun
12-07-2011, 12:31 PM
You can, I used ifs hubs with solid axle rotors and i believe i used the solid axle callipers. I had to drill a different pattern in the back of the rotor to make it bolt onto the IFS wheel hub i think. I did this 2 or 3 years ago so I don't remember 100% what I did. If you have any more questions the axle is in my back yard and I can go see how I did it for ya.

dirka dave
12-07-2011, 12:37 PM
I have original 82 hubs and v6 calipers and vented rotors off a landcruiser or something.

No drilling, bolted right on.

TWOZEROFOUR
12-07-2011, 12:46 PM
I have original 82 hubs and v6 calipers and vented rotors off a landcruiser or something.

No drilling, bolted right on.

i want the width, but leave the brakes the same.

RCCruiser
12-07-2011, 06:29 PM
I'd have to look at it closer, but my first guess is that you cannot use the solid rotors with the ifs wheel hubs. The reason is the rotor bolts to the back of the wheel mounting surface of the wheel hub. The "hat" of the vented rotor is quite deep to push the braking surface back towards the calipers. The solid rotor's hat is not nearly as deep.
I gotta say though...the vented rotors and V-6 calipers are the way to go. The braking difference is amazing. I'd really recommend it.

If you're still adamant that you want solid rotors, I can check into it for you. I have all the parts sitting on my work bench right now.

youngun
12-07-2011, 06:49 PM
I checked that axle while I was in my back yard today. IFS wheel hubs, Solid axle rotors and callipers. Callipers moved to the opposite side of the cast in taps on the knuckle. Its all together and seems to line up, I drove the truck for a bit and never had any problems with it

toyon35s
12-07-2011, 06:55 PM
if you want width ,go full size or spacers,off set rims lots of differant ways [cheers]

RCCruiser
12-07-2011, 07:05 PM
I checked that axle while I was in my back yard today. IFS wheel hubs, Solid axle rotors and callipers. Callipers moved to the opposite side of the cast in taps on the knuckle. Its all together and seems to line up, I drove the truck for a bit and never had any problems with it
I also checked some stuff. You can use the ifs wheel hubs with solid rotors if you use the Sky's spacer, or mount the calipers to the other side of the brake tabs. There is quite a big thread on Pirate about the strength of mounting on the other side of the tabs, but I don't see the issue. When you use the ifs wheel hubs and vented rotors, you also have to use the spacer, or mount the caliper to the other side. I've done it on a couple trucks, and has never been an issue.

I still say the V-6 calipers and vented rotors are the way to go. Make sure you get the V-6 ifs calipers, and not the 4cyl calipers. They are almost identical, but the V-6 ones are bigger.

KINGCRUISER
12-07-2011, 07:15 PM
Ya the v6 calipers and vented rotors are the way to go. I've even rigged them up to work on my back axle too now![36]

dirka dave
12-07-2011, 07:18 PM
I think they were off a bj 60.

They were $22 each at CBS.

RCCruiser
12-07-2011, 07:53 PM
So, ya. What you're doing is the exact same thing as using the vented rotors and v-6 calipers with the ifs wheel hubs. The steps are the same, just use the solid rotors and calipers.
The difference in SA wheel hubs and ifs wheel hubs

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v690/RunnerRyan/Zuk%20build/5fc5f54f.jpg

Redrill the proper mounting bolt pattern

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v690/RunnerRyan/Zuk%20build/e043b759.jpg

Bolt caliper to opposite side of mounting ears. The mounting ears on the knuckle are threaded. Some guys drill that out bigger, and thread the caliper. I drilled out the caliper, and just used a bolt and a nut. There is juuuust enough room in there for the nut. :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v690/RunnerRyan/Zuk%20build/IMG_0711-1.jpg

Mounting on the stock side...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v690/RunnerRyan/Zuk%20build/c7a1de8b.jpg

TWOZEROFOUR
12-07-2011, 10:35 PM
hell yea, thanks FIBC'ERS[36]

4skin
12-08-2011, 09:14 AM
hey dorka this info should be a sticky
at least ryan is giving us useful stuff
instead of nice pix!!!!

youngun
12-08-2011, 11:02 AM
hey dorka this info should be a sticky
at least ryan is giving us useful stuff
instead of nice pix!!!!

Agreed, good step by step

Thanks for taking the time to post those up [36]

atoyot
12-08-2011, 07:33 PM
i see u got the answer to ur question............

good info RCCruiser.............!!!!!!![cheers]

RCCruiser
12-08-2011, 08:53 PM
No worries.

Any other questions? :D

dirka dave
12-08-2011, 09:56 PM
No worries.

Any other questions? :D

How much wood can you carry in your fj ?

Griswold
12-08-2011, 10:18 PM
Ya Great info.....Thanks

4skin
12-08-2011, 11:44 PM
could you not drill out the knuckle a bit bigger and thread the caliper
instead of nut and bolt??
just looks like a pita trying to line it all up and start a nut

TWOZEROFOUR
12-09-2011, 08:23 AM

Im gonna drill and Tap the caliper;)

RCCruiser
12-09-2011, 09:22 PM

Ya. I said most guys drill it out and tap the caliper. I just used a nut and bolt.
I just put the nut in an open end wrench and slide it up against the rotor. Works pretty good.

4skin
12-09-2011, 10:09 PM
Ya. I said most guys drill it out and tap the caliper. I just used a nut and bolt.
I just put the nut in an open end wrench and slide it up against the rotor. Works pretty good.
yuup i read that after i wrote that lol

youngun
12-09-2011, 10:10 PM
i just put the bolt threw backwards if i don't plan on having to take it apart too often hahaha

dirka dave
12-09-2011, 10:35 PM
yuup i read that after i wrote that lol

You can't read or write.

Dirka dirka

Redneck_04
12-10-2011, 01:12 AM
sticky! ive had about 4 people ask me how to do this? but nowhere to tell them to go.

RCCruiser
12-10-2011, 10:47 AM
sticky! ive had about 4 people ask me how to do this? but nowhere to tell them to go.

Really? I tell people where to go all the time. :D

RCCruiser
12-10-2011, 10:52 AM
It seems like there might be some interest in some Toyota tech with pix. I've done a bunch of stuff and took lots of pix.
Stuff like modifying front housing to fit e-locker, installing home-made creeper gussets, axle third stud swap to bolts, re-centered Hummer H1 rims to Toyota 6 bolt....

Should I put a few how-to threads together?

youngun
12-10-2011, 10:54 AM
I'm sure there would be interest, Maybe we should put together a stickyd FAQ kinda like pirate has?

TWOZEROFOUR
12-10-2011, 11:35 AM
i have step by step shots of back 1/2'n a rusted out frame.