PDA

View Full Version : How do you guys prevent winch theft

Hellboy
11-30-2011, 07:39 AM
Lately I've been thinking if getting a winch, but the thought of it just sitting on my front bumper all day in my driveway while I'm at work doesnt appeal to me.

What are some of the ways you guys try to prevent theft? Obviously if a thief REALLY wants it nothing will stop him but the idea is to make it hard.

Few ideas I've thought of... Scoring the threads of the bolt so you cant get the nut off... Loctite... And apparently Tuffy makes a little lockbox that fits over a nut.

Or maybe theres a way to electrically charge your truck while your out? :D

Anyway I'd love to hear some good ideas before I go out and buy/install a new winch

[cheers]

4Lo
11-30-2011, 07:43 AM
Weld the nuts on the underside of the bumper.

redman
11-30-2011, 07:48 AM
Weld the nuts on the underside of the bumper.

what he said

Hellboy
11-30-2011, 08:02 AM
Wouldnt that make them weaker cause their heat treated?

stockwheels
11-30-2011, 08:06 AM
i put a tak on my bolts for the winch and it hasnt fallen off yet and its pulled out alot of jeeps and toyota

Griswold
11-30-2011, 08:23 AM
what he said

X3[cheers] :D

dirka dave
11-30-2011, 08:24 AM
Receiver mounted.

Griswold
11-30-2011, 09:08 AM
Receiver mounted.

you'd still want to weld the nuts on the under side and then make sure you have a good lock in the receiver hitch[cheers] [36]

Tunabomber
11-30-2011, 09:22 AM
personally i find a nice 2-4 '' hole in the center chest will usually do the trick

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t83/mrtuna/IMG_3393.jpg

dirka dave
11-30-2011, 09:33 AM
you'd still want to weld the nuts on the under side and then make sure you have a good lock in the receiver hitch[cheers] [36]

True. But when I am not using the 82 or not in it the winch is not on tbe truck.

What's the point in carrying around an extra 110 lbs on the front of your truck anyways. ?

Griswold
11-30-2011, 09:54 AM
True. But when I am not using the 82 or not in it the winch is not on tbe truck.

What's the point in carrying around an extra 110 lbs on the front of your truck anyways. ?

Yes that is true....But I was a stave last year when I guy left his truck parked on the flats and he went with a buddy in his truck and when they came back to his truck an hour later some one stole his receiver winch cause he never had a lock on it..... so for 20 bucks for the lock you'd be safe then for sure...or just put it inside your truck when you park.[cheers]

Hellboy
11-30-2011, 10:04 AM
Yes that is true....But I was a stave last year when I guy left his truck parked on the flats and he went with a buddy in his truck and when they came back to his truck an hour later some one stole his receiver winch cause he never had a lock on it..... so for 20 bucks for the lock you'd be safe then for sure...or just put it inside your truck when you park.[cheers]

Well the Jeep isnt my DD so I see no need in removing / installing winch every weekend... I'm thinking welding the nuts is the general idea...

And getting a nondescript winch cover... Outta sight outta mind

Griswold
11-30-2011, 10:07 AM
Well the Jeep isnt my DD so I see no need in removing / installing winch every weekend... I'm thinking welding the nuts is the general idea...

And getting a nondescript winch cover... Outta sight outta mind

There you go........mine has a few of the nuts welded and have never worried about it and there is no cover on it.

Hellboy
11-30-2011, 10:14 AM
Ya I think the theft rate where I live might be higher than yours. Especially since they're building a new skyttain station 4 blocks away in the coming years

youngun
11-30-2011, 11:20 AM
tack welding the nuts or hooking the winch cable to a tow point and sucking it tight should hold it in place pretty good.

Balls First
11-30-2011, 11:51 AM
i just made mine inaccessible but tack welding them is the best solution, may have to grind or torch them off later just keep that in mind when you do it, had an ex once that ran hers inside a frame extension on a sidekick and then welded a cap on the end of the extension so you'd have to grind it off first, essentially the same as tacking the bolts

Hellboy
11-30-2011, 12:18 PM
tack welding the nuts or hooking the winch cable to a tow point and sucking it tight should hold it in place pretty good.

Ya thats a good idea then thats one less shackle to remove after wheeling too... People rip off my shackles all the time...

Ry' & Jen
11-30-2011, 12:20 PM
In our case with the KJ, it's impossible to remover the winch without removing the whole front bumper cover.
If it were to get ripped off, that's why we have comprehensive insurance coverage!

Hellboy
11-30-2011, 03:47 PM
In our case with the KJ, it's impossible to remover the winch without removing the whole front bumper cover.
If it were to get ripped off, that's why we have comprehensive insurance coverage!

Ya but mine is permitted not monthly so it'd only be good for when i permit lol

vajayjay
11-30-2011, 05:12 PM
I had mine buried in my bumper so you would have to remove the whole front bumper to steal it. But then got tired of removing the whole bumper to service it, so like Younggun said I just keep the cable tight on a shackle.

Ry' & Jen
11-30-2011, 05:36 PM
When were not wheeling, I torque down both the shackles so some punk don't steel them.
Mind you, we live in Lichmond, what's some dumb chink gonna do with a shackle here.
Here the tow point of choice is an anodized red aluminum DTM/BTCC race car hoop-complete with vinyl lettering saying "Tow" and a red arrow!

Chopstick
12-01-2011, 09:30 AM
Ya but mine is permitted not monthly so it'd only be good for when i permit lol

Same but I have dogs so they'll have to go through them first

Metal Mulisha
12-01-2011, 01:02 PM
Get a Garage & park your truck there..........silly jeep guys

Happypants
12-01-2011, 04:04 PM

But then it will never leave the garage,

Mine is out in the open, go ahead and steal it if u can, the bolts are welded to the winch plate, I could care less, my winch isn't working right now anyway lol, at least I would have a excuse to buy a new winch lol

youngun
12-01-2011, 05:56 PM

I gotta have my good trucks in a covered area somewhere. Couldn't leave them outside to rot away

jordanbennett
12-01-2011, 06:42 PM
tuna bombers got the idea, :D

Hellboy
12-01-2011, 11:51 PM
But then it will never leave the garage,

Mine is out in the open, go ahead and steal it if u can, the bolts are welded to the winch plate, I could care less, my winch isn't working right now anyway lol, at least I would have a excuse to buy a new winch lol

Is the old one fuked up from being parked outside? Probly gonna get a cover for mine anyway

Trailjunkie
12-02-2011, 12:30 AM
Receiver mounted.

yup

hooking the winch cable to a tow point and sucking it tight should hold it in place pretty good.

and yup

youngun
12-02-2011, 01:21 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C74QeL98GyU&feature=related

Happypants
12-02-2011, 06:50 AM
Is the old one fuked up from being parked outside? Probly gonna get a cover for mine anyway

It's from dirtystave water,

RCCruiser
12-02-2011, 05:13 PM
Mine's welded and on a receiver with a lock. Best way to go. That way you have the option to winch yourself BACKWARDS, instead of further into what got you stuck in the first place. :D
I'm also not a big fan of the covers... I feel they would hold the moisture in more than anything.
Also, sucking the winch down onto a hook won't really do much to keep your winch from being stolen. All you'd have to do is move the lever to the freespool position and release the tension.

Hellboy
12-02-2011, 08:38 PM
Mine's welded and on a receiver with a lock. Best way to go. That way you have the option to winch yourself BACKWARDS, instead of further into what got you stuck in the first place. :D
I'm also not a big fan of the covers... I feel they would hold the moisture in more than anything.
Also, sucking the winch down onto a hook won't really do much to keep your winch from being stolen. All you'd have to do is move the lever to the freespool position and release the tension.

If the winch was sucked tight wouldnt it be really hard to put it in freespool?

Happypants
12-03-2011, 12:51 AM
Nope, that's why they have clutches in them